disease of the brain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disease of the brain?

wonderworld;215383 wrote: exactly! i relate and i agree. i think I misunderstood some of your original post. When you talked about treatment, my mind went directly to AA. and..... sometimes it's hard to read the "tone" of what someone is "saying" in a post or email.

Sounds like you ARE on fire girl! Very inspiring.

and p.s., I made need rehab for my addiction to this board (in case anyone hadn't noticed). Sorry for the soliloquies.

xx wonder
    thanks, but i am a DUDE, not a girl. stay strong

Comment

disease of the brain?

lushy;215453 wrote: How come more people don't seek tx. and think that if by posting here daily, they will stay sober.

Fammy, posting here daily is ONE part of a MULTIFACETED approach. Are you familiar with the MWO program and all it entails? There is nutritional supplementation to help heal "our" brains, hypnotherapy, exercise, and online support. And yes, some people have stayed sober using ONLY the online support found here. You say you need more than a website to keep you sober? Fine, but please don't judge those of us that find this path works for us.
      Lushy, I am not judgeing. Part of my recovery is nutrition, exercise and suppliments along with suppport groups, web sites, friends, daily meditation etc. i think u took my statement out of context. stay strong

Comment

disease of the brain?

ooops! sorry fammy. You're on fire dude!!!
        Not the first time I've been sexually confused here. If someone has a neutral username and signs that way, well, unless they say something like "when I was pregnant.....", "my husband.....", "I'm a dude.....", I'm lost.

Wonder (female) xx

Comment

disease of the brain?

I have been to AA, and it helped me to stop drinking for a few years, and met some
          wonderful people there. I stopped going because every meeting was the same. People
          would repeat the same story over and over again. I also saw people regularly relapse.
          I still have some of the AA books, and often read them as I find them helpful. I took from
          AA what I needed to help me, I do the same with MWO, there is something for everyone.
          I do come from a family with drinking problems, my father was alcoholic, my brothers are
          also. I do believe it is genetic. Not sure about the disease aspect.
          I do know that this site has helped save my life.
          Paula.

Comment

disease of the brain?

My kids are all under the age of 9. I am a senior member because I have posted over 1,000 times. I am far from a "senior" however. (I still get carded-- oops, I mean I still GOT carded last time I went out for a drink). I AM a senior when it comes to drinking, though, and hope I will live to regret that.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

disease of the brain?

I love this clip from the movie What The Bleep which address addiction! It is hopeful.

[ame= ]YouTube - What The Bleep Do We Know--Addiction Clip[/ame]

Comment

disease of the brain?

I would just like to say, in defence of AA, that lots of people are alive now because of it.
                AA is not for everyone, neither is MWO. Please respect and keep an open mind on the
                ways to conquer alcoholism. There are many routes, choose the one that's right for you,
                if it works and your happy, don't knock other approaches.
                We all need help and companionship with our problems.
                Best wishes to all . Paula.

Comment

disease of the brain?

A lot of people are dead because of AA too. I personally know 2 that suicided from AA and AA was referenced in their suicide notes.

Comment

disease of the brain?

Lucky I'm sorry about that, I personally no longer attend AA. People with problems do
                    take there own lives, sadly. Can we blame it on a particular group. ? People with addictions
                    often have mental health problems, should we blame it on mh, or society as awhole. ?

Comment

disease of the brain?

I'm not going to get impassioned about this, but suffice it to say, that yes, we can blame a cult that poses as a self-help organisation and then gives people guilt and shame instead of support and hope. No names mentioned here.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

disease of the brain?

Having never personally gone to the above "not mentioned" cult, I cannot with authority say "yea" or "nay" to their value.

However, I do know that even within the loving context of MWO, when I do screw up, my self-reciminations and depression are bad enough. I cannot imagine having to deal with others trying to make me feel badly, that really could push me over the edge, I think.

:sigh:
                        Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

disease of the brain?

yes, and we are so happy to have you here Cindi, what would we do without you?

We are all DIY types aren't we? And that's the only way to get free.

Comment

disease of the brain?

Speaking from personal experience, I have seen people lapse in AA, and have seen
                            a tremendous amount of support given to them, the cult has been going for many years,
                            like I said I prefer MWO, but I will not criticise it for doing a lot of good for a lot of people
                            over many years, I have never heard of a drunk being turned away from a meeting, their
                            ideas may differ from ours, does that make them wrong, for everyone.? What about some open minded tolerance. ?

Comment

disease of the brain?

I'm starting to wonder.......... there is such passion in this discussion (no surprise).......and I know that AA varies greatly depending on your geographical area. Could this be part of this? I was never made to feel guilt and shame in AA, am I missing something? I mean it's a program designed for total abstinence, so, in that sense, drinking is a "failure" of sorts. And it's very public with all the counting days and such. But nobody there made me feel bad about it, or said anything hurtful. And I was always welcomed back. Did people have experiences where they were shunned? And if it's not for you, it's not for you. So what? If it helps other people, isn't that good? What am I missing?

And people die from alcoholism and suicide no matter what form of treatment they are pursuing at the time. Including MWO. And there are professionals, statistics, articles, opnions who can support pretty much any argument. It's always up to the individual. Whether pro AA, or anti AA, a black and white interpretation doesn't really cover it. If MWO were the only program available, the statistics, well, who knows what they'd say, but certainly not everyone with alcohol dependency can thrive with MWO, or with MWO alone. Isn't that okay too? I would rather people find "sobriety", whatever that means for them, in anyway they can.

Argh!!! this thread gives me a headahche....and yet I keep coming back. Masochism? Maybe.....

I wish everyone peace, happiness and good health no matter how they get it. I'm banning myself from posting anymore on this thread (a relief to some, I'm sure!), but I still want to read it..... but then ....... argh!!!!!

luv wonder xxx

Comment

disease of the brain?

Good Morning,

I was a member of AA for a while and my rehab program was based, some what, on the 12 steps.
                                I never witnessed anyone trying to make anyone else feel badly for anything.
                                "Our Father" was mentioned in the Lords Prayer at the end of each meeting but one was always welcomed to pray the prayer of one's choice. Or not.
                                If God was the speakers higher power the speaker may mention her while speaking.
                                My home group was a group of women....ranging in age from about 20 to 85. I witnessed nothing but love and respect for each other in this group.

No one was forced to do the 12 steps or get a sponser. I never did get a sponser and I got up to step 5.

I guess my point is that everyone has bad experiences in their lives. Don't we know it!Just because you or someone you know has had a bad experience with AA doesn't make it a monster.
                                I would hate for a 'guest' or a newbie to be reading this thread and NOT try AA because of it.

AA is as good or as bad as the members at the meeting and those interpreting the literature. Living in a city of 3 million people, I have been to some horrid meetings. I just looked for a better one the next time.

m. xx
                                ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                                I am in the next seat.
                                My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Working...
                                X