SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

lushy;218677 wrote: Irregardless is one of my biggest pet peeves. And if anyone ends a sentence with the word "at", as in "where is it at?" when it should be just plain old "where is it?" I will be joining Jane in the bottle of wine.
    I used to hate receiving letters that opened with.... "I am writing with regards to..." State the obvious why don't you. It should simply be " With regards to.." or "Regarding...".

How do you feel then Jane about dialect in books? i.e when the characters accent, say Glaswegian or Cockney, for instance, is written as it sounds. Irvine Welch and Niall Griffiths do this a lot in portraying their characters.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

LOL PP!!!!! So true. Come on Wee, bring it on..........
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

I love WEE-ISM's Wait let me pull out that dictionary first.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Lushy - you tell her. I already called a challenge. If you look up 'short-lived' in a dictionary..... it will show that you CAN, LEGALLY, pronounce it either way. However, Mother will explain that, if you examine the isuue more closely, short-"layvd" (the 9 lives way) is the earlier, original, and therefore unadulterated, and MORE correct of the 2 allowable pronunciations. She will tell you therefore that her correction is indeed correct and should heretofore, henceforth be considered the correct pronunciation. She's a blackbelt. She's a ninja with table manners around the world, too. It's brutal I tell you. Especially for me, a curse like a sailor alcohol mongering artist. But we miraculously have found common ground - she's a peach.

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Okay, I'll tell her. Send me her number.

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

At this present point in time, I myself, personally, have nothing further to add.

(Groan)

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Another phrase I detest is "At the end of the day"

I do agree with WW's mother about short lived.

I cannot wait for melonhead to show up here!!! LOL

I wonder if she ever got her driver's license?!

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

And let's not forget those who call MWO MYO in error!

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Lucky, Wonder's mom is not correct. It is short lived, not short lyved. Please do not piss me off any further this evening.

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Lushy is wrong, again. sigh....

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

I am going to see my Mother tomorrow. I will ask her to reiterate her argument on the pronunciation of short lived. If anyone could possibly still care about this tomorrw night, I will make a full report. If getting a handle on my alcohol issue means that this is how I'll be spending my Friday nights from now on, well, then, I hope my sobriety is short-lived.
                        nighty night, wonder

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Oh we will care. Don't you worry. But I am right. While both pronunciations are acceptable, short lived (not short lyved) is the more acceptable one. So bite me Lucky.

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

more acceptable does not mean more correct

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

Wonder, first rule of MWO. Always agree with Lushy, never with Lucky.

Comment

SO Smart Yet SO Stupid?

hmmmm.......must have missed that in the FAQ's.........

Comment

Working...
                                X