Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melbourne Cup Day!

Hello,
    Just abit about tomorrow being Melbourne Cup Day for Australia. It's one of our biggest racing days of the year. This is a day off for our business and we make it the staff party.
    Well..............this will be first Melbourne Cup that I will be sober and am more than a little concerned about coping. Sitting around and watching a bunch of drunks is not my cup of tea at the moment. I can't get out of it and am worried I will bend under the influence.
    So my mantra will be
    I won't drink for this hour
    (next)
    I won't drink for this hour
    I will will continue this all through the day
    I feel like I am going to the chopping block! Ugh!
    Any thoughts?
    Shas
    Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Melbourne Cup Day!

Shas - Waterfords Lemon Lime and Bitters Mineral Water in a champagne flute looks and feels like you're drinking fizz. It's got me out of the poo quite a few times.

It's only the first couple of hours that are hard. It gets easier when you see everyone else starting to become legless. If you're taking MWO kudzu, take 3 in the morning and another 3 at lunchtime.

You can do it!

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

Wow !I was in Australia a million years ago during Melbourne Cup.
      I coudn't believe the whole country shuts down for horse racing!

Gotta love those Aussies!
      K
      Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
      April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
      wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
      wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
      wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
      wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
      wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
      wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
      http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

PS Sharyn you CAN do it girl!
        Mind over matter.

Hugs
        Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
        April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
        wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
        wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
        wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
        wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
        wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
        wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
        http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

Thanks Guys,
          Just that restaurants & pubs don't sell nice non alcohol drinks.
          Virgin marys are good but can only drink so many. Think I will take an antabuse in the morning that way I know I won't drink.
          Have a great day and back a winner
          Shas
          Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

Sharyn
            Do what Tawny said. Then after the first hour or maybe two, no one will notice you're not drinking. You will probably have the most fun of anyone because you can sit there and laugh as you watch everyone make total fools out of themselves and glad that it is them and not you. You'll have a great tiime. Look forward to it, honey!!!
            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

Dear Sharyn,
              You'll be right, no worries.
              What a cushy job you have, getting Melbourne Cup day off!
              Tawny as always, has good advice. Hmmm, what's the drink you have when you're not having a drink? Or take RJ's advice and give alcohol no more thought than you would give to butter.
              Let us know how you go in the sweep.
              Speaking of which, how come Senior Member Tawny hasn't organised a MWO sweep for tomorrow?

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

I reckon we aussies just close down for the whole day for drinking/betting - horses, whatever - a nation of punters and boozers
                So i'm staying home from work!
                Cheers
                Cashy
                xx
                "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

Rags - I'll see what I can do at this late stage. To make this work, we'd need 23 cyber punters

OK folks - who wants a cyber ticket in the 2007 Melbourne Cup Sweep? Tickets are $Cyber10. There are 23 horses running. Race takes place in just under 6 hours.

GET YOUR TICKET NOW!!!!!!

(Before I get hate mail on the evils of gambling ... on Melbourne Cup day even dog-fearing little old ladies have a small flutter ...)

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

After the race...

Hi,

I work in one of those businesses that 'close down' for the cup.

The whole morining was about entering sweeps and putting on bets, and at 2.30 we shut down the office (we are the local newspaper!) and we all headed down the pub to watch, drinks are offered free! (barmaids walking around offering champaign with strawberries) and free nibblies! Great atmoshere for the 'Big Race", I had a diet coke, and sat around with the mates from work, and got pressured to have a drink, then two, ( Yes I could have said no, and been a REAL FREAK) then I sat and watched the 'boyfriends' start putting shit on the girls, who's fat, who's plastic ect. I started to feel offended on behalf of the 'blondes' who seem to take all this with a giggle.., I went home, but on the way bought a bottle of wine and drank it? Maybe I'm a stupid intelligent brunette??? LOL

Yay!? It's a funny lifestyle here in aussie if you have to sit and laugh at shit to make the blokes feel good, and if you don't your looked at like a freak.

Ok, I'm a freak, and now I'm sitting at home alone feeling like a freak...

But I don't want to be a stupid blonde, lol, so thats my lot I guess.

No point to this, just my Melbourne Cup Day!

Cheers, Jas
                    :thanks: :h

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

Hi all fellow aussies!!!!
                      Well I had my 1st Melbourne Cup day without drinking. Went to a function at a restaurant which was a good 45minute drive away. Felt great. If I hadn't been AF I wouldn't of been able to go. I think I had as much fun as anyone else. Drank Mocktails (non alcoholic cocktails) and had a really good time. Picked up and dropped off my friends, got a text later thanking me and telling me how proud of me they were. Makes me feel good. Hubby spent the arvo at the pub and is now flako on the bed. I am still up typing.
                      All in all well worth it.
                      PS. Didn't get a winner though!!!!

Comment

Melbourne Cup Day!

I wish my fellow Canadians could muster that much enthusiasm when they run the Queens cup in Toronto. They rather support a Hockey team that never wins anything. Sorry, no offence.
                        L
                        *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X