Drinking Killed Jackson Pollocks Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard that Jackson Pollock struggled with alcohol his entire life. He tried therapy which didn't help him. His work deteriorated then he finally just stopped because of drink.

Jackson Pollock, one of the most influential abstract expressionists, famous for his large ?drip? canvases, was born in Wyoming in 1912. Pollock grew up to be rebellious and irascible but at the same time highly introverted; even as a boy, he indulged in risky, self-destructive behavior such as excessive drinking. In 1928, he lived in Los Angeles, where he attended the Manual Arts High School and learned about European modernism. Pollock moved to New York in 1930 to study at the Art Students League with the American scene painter Thomas Hart Benton, whose principles of rhythmical composition influenced Pollock?s mature style. In 1937 the painter and theorist John Graham introduced Pollock to the works of Picasso and the ideas of psychologist Carl Jung. Under the influence of Picasso?s cubist-surrealist paintings and Jung?s concept of the collective unconscious, Pollock began to develop a new pictorial approach.

During the 1930s Pollock became involved in the Works Progress Administration?s Federal Art Project (WPA/FAP) as a mural assistant to the Mexican painter David Alfaro Siqueiros. Chronic emotional problems led Pollock to seek psychoanalytic treatment in 1939, the first of many ventures into psychoanalysis. Prior to this, he had met the abstract expressionist painter Lee Krasner, whom he later married.

Pollock, at his first one-person exhibition in 1943 at Peggy Guggenheim?s Art of This Century Gallery, New York, impressed critics with the raw painterly quality of his canvases. Soon after, the Museum of Modern Art was the first museum to acquire one of his works. When he left Manhattan for a farmhouse on Long Island in 1945, he also came to a stylistic turning point, as he began executing his highly acclaimed drip paintings (1947?1950). Pollock?s technique of pouring and dribbling paint with brushes and sticks onto large canvases created dynamic pictorial rhythms and energetic curvilinear designs. These paintings were widely publicized and purchased by collectors and museums nationwide. In 1950 Pollock?s drinking began to affect his art; after 1954, he painted only sporadically. He died in a car crash on Long Island in 1956.

from phillipscollection.org
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Trixie, I know a bit about Jackson Pollock.
    I have seen videos of him painting under the influence.
    Your post is amazingly informative and interesting and I as an artist (not yet in his league unfortunately) are unsure of why you posted such an in depth history of him. Are you studying art at the moment??

I myself have found it amazing that anyone can 'produce work' having been drinking, but then I have always found drink a relaxant not a stimulant.
    Please get back to me. Is it that you are stunned an artist who is famous world wide could have created his works whilst he was drunk.....Like I said, I can not tell from your post, why you are posting his story.
    But I like the subject matter....you have got me thinking.
    And, by the way. Yesterday I finished my normal daytime work (by choice) to embark on a two month trial period (see how much money I can make) as an artist. Today I made a linocut and printed 3 prints out. I really liked it. Considering I know I didn't put enough time into the composition, I am so happy that I attempted it.

Again, let me know why you posted about Pollock. I am really interested.
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I too, am an artist of sorts, who never dared to try to live off of my art (still don't). I used to think that drinking "openned me up". But have learned that is a way to fool myself. I still feel I need to drink when I am in the initial phase of creating, but I know it is better to be sober when executing the vision. It is a difficult thing to admit -- to convince yourself that you don't need to drink, not even in the "vision" phase of the process.

I'm interested in hearing more about all of your art processes. And also, as Amelia says, the reason that you posted that particular post, trixie.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Another fascinating thread! I don't do any worthwhile art when I'm toasted. There were times when I was younger, kind of fun and liberating, when I played with certain ideas and materials in the studio when I was drunk (or high), but they had little to do with the real work, if you know what I mean. I, too, am amazed at people who work when they're drunk, or even more amazing, those who have a tremendous work ethic each morning or day and then go to the dogs drinking every night. Francis Bacon being one of them, and also F. Scott Fitzgerald. I don't have that constitution. Drinking makes me depressed and dulls my thoughts and creativity - even the day after.

Amelia - how great to have dedicated 2 months to the studio. enjoy! Wonder xx

Comment

There is a great movie depicting this..Ed Harris as Pollock & Marcia Gay Harden...about 5-6 yrs ago

Comment

So, are you saying it is creativity vs. truth? Can't you have both?
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hey Trixie, just came back to this thread to see if you had posted. Looked at your profile and saw that you are an artist yourself. Are you able to be creative while on the sauce or not?? There is only one time I drank wine whilst painting. Painted really, really fast and got a few canvasses 'blocked in', but I would not consider painting 'finished pieces' while drinking. Plus the thought of it being such a 'downward spiral' would stop me anyway.
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

AMELIA;221700 wrote: Trixie, I know a bit about Jackson Pollock.
                I have seen videos of him painting under the influence.
                Your post is amazingly informative and interesting and I as an artist (not yet in his league unfortunately) are unsure of why you posted such an in depth history of him. Are you studying art at the moment??

I myself have found it amazing that anyone can 'produce work' having been drinking, but then I have always found drink a relaxant not a stimulant.
                Please get back to me. Is it that you are stunned an artist who is famous world wide could have created his works whilst he was drunk.....Like I said, I can not tell from your post, why you are posting his story.
                But I like the subject matter....you have got me thinking.
                And, by the way. Yesterday I finished my normal daytime work (by choice) to embark on a two month trial period (see how much money I can make) as an artist. Today I made a linocut and printed 3 prints out. I really liked it. Considering I know I didn't put enough time into the composition, I am so happy that I attempted it.

Again, let me know why you posted about Pollock. I am really interested.
                I have in the last year or so been working with other artists on many projects , and I have noticed that there seems to be a big relationship between artists, drugs and alcohol.

I wanted to get some feed back from this forum, there seems to be a wide variety of people here with knowledge and insight.
                I am also a fan of Jackson Pollock . even though my medium is not painting, but photography and sculpture. I started a piece that is called "addiction kit" it's about the intrigue humans have with getting high and being high (it's a study at this point).
                Can being under the influence help or cripple creativity?

Trix

Comment

Amelia I develop ideas when I am high on wine. not totally drunk. but I never really actually work on the pieces while drunk, I've done it?, but the results are always sloppy and I am sort of a perfectionist.

Comment

art and creativity could also be escape/escapism.

Comment

Hi, I can conceive an artistic idea while under the influenze, but I do have to be sober to do any work. Just my 2 cents worth.
                      Lori
                      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

I think either of your points of view could be right Trixie.
                        As I said earlier I have put aside some time over the next couple of months to dedicate to painting. I haven't made it into the studio yet, however, as I posted yesterday I did a linocut, which I was quite pleased with.

I think everyone is different as far as this goes. I have felt like drinking an ocean (of alcohol) since I have wound down my 'bread and butter' work (my safe income earner). But that has nothing to do with wanting to drink to create.....it has to do with worrying about what I will produce, will it be good enough etc etc. We are talking basic insecurity here.

I have worked for years and years in bars and pubs doing signwriting (this is my bread and butter work). NEVER did I touch a drop of alchohol whilst working. Would not have been able to do the job - straight lines, exact measurements etc and this was creative work too.

I think creativity may be linked with drinking or,....it may not. I do personally think that as a profession, being an artist is quite difficult , as the work you produce is right there for everyone to see. You are producing art for yourself and for others to 'hopefully' enjoy or question or talk about. Just by putting yourself in that position you are putting (well in my head anyway) quite a bit of pressure on yourself. You put your work (normally) out there for people to view and perhaps, judge and no doubt, react to. Will you sell your work? How will people percieve your ideas. Are you communicating in the way you intended to when completing an artwork????

I can see why artists drink, but I can also see why all sorts of people drink. Normally from insecurity or a need to escape something. The time I drank in the studio, I did so because I was having thoughts of 'not being able to paint' - had a few glasses of wine and off I went.
                        Was the painting good? It was in a certain respect, that I actually painted instead of remaining frozen, but all it did was free me from fear (for a moment), I don't think it enhanced my creativity.

Phew, long winded I know, but there you go.
                        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I don't pretend to know much of anything about art or who this person was...but aside from that it makes me think, gee what all of us might have or might be able to accomplish if we don't let the drink beat us?! I know there is so much more I could have done with my life!
                          Pepper
                          Pepper

Comment

Yep, I am completely with you Pepper. I think that booze hinders me instead of helping. Full Stop.
                            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

another catch 22 huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X