Drinking Killed Jackson Pollocks Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beatle it is like a catch 22, because we end up becoming more sensitive and desperate if we use alcohol or drugs to deal with anxiety
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I quote John McManus (wrote an amazing book on bipolar depression (see: McMan's Depression and Bipolar Web - Your depression and bipolar disorder source for more onfo):

"I rented the video, "Pollock," a low budget movie directed by and starring Eddie Harris in the title role. The film begs an obvious comparison to "A Beautiful Mind", for both are based on true stories of genius and madness. (Both also share a common set of actors in Eddie Harris and Jennifer Connelly.) But whereas John Nash's struggle with schizophrenia is the main story line in "A Beautiful Mind", no mention at all is made of Jackson Pollock's bipolar other than a cryptic aside about his neuroticism. Any behavior that might be taken for bipolar takes place while he is drunk, which happens to be a good deal of the time."

Everything is so interconnected - especially alcholol and mental illness. Someone else here mentioned Van Gogh, who would now be clinically diagnosed as bipolar too - all those classic symptoms, gotta love em.

The creative impulse is there a lot in bipolar (love those ups) - but creativity must not be limited to artists or poets. What about amazing scientists and computer programmers - thier work is of beauty and great worth. Anyone ever seen the Mandelbrot set or pondered the Fibonacci series, or even solved a sublime equation?- that's damned creative.

Cashy
      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

does this mean that I am eternally cursed?
        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

or gifted maxman
          cashy
          "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

I agree with you cashy. I am just coming from the visual artist perspective since that is what I know.
            thanks for adding your point of view.
            Trix
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
            X