Feeling like a normal person.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my life, while watching movies or TV shows, or reading a novel, and the characters aren't drinking, I've thought "How strange!!" Even when I was a kid, before I started drinking, it seemed odd to me, as every adult I knew got drunk every day. And during my adulthood, drinking myself, I'd watch a character under stress and think, "Why doesn't she have a damn drink???" And getting to know other adults who didn't drink all the time, I thought, "How weird is THAT. What DO they do at night??"

For me, drinking daily was a normal way of life. Does that therefore mean that I thought non-drinkers are abnormal?

Now that I can go several nights without a single craving for drink - I simply make dinner, spend time with my daughter, read, clean my house - I realize that THIS is "normal".

It may seem like a trivial revelation, but to me it's a revelation nonetheless. Know what I mean? It says a lot about the mindset we drinkers have, or me, at least -- just as noon means lunchtime, evening and social occasions mean drinking time.

I'm not quite sure how I got here from drinking as heavily and daily as I had been just a few months ago. Somehow, while acheiving more and more AF days that became increasingly more comfortable, and the drinking days came to be the exception rather than the rule, my mindset has changed. A paradigm shift. And I think the shift in my mindset might be the biggest factor in my nearly effortless ability to not drink but once or twice a week.

And to be DOING things! I've never much thought about DOING things that took away from my drinking time!! This occurred to me tonight as I decided to volunteer to serve dinner to seniors on Thanksgiving, and to take a writing course.

So this is what it's like to not have alcohol as the center of my life! Just like a "normal" person!!
    Whodathunk??!!

Now, dare I say, I am not only My Own Woman, but I also have My Own Life.
    I guess that's the ultimate goal of conquering addiction. To own one's self and life. Now I get it.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

MY Own Woman - WOW MOW!

All I can say is thanks for putting the thoughts I have about this into such good and lovely words! Isn't it a wonderful feeling?!?! I can't add anything to what you've said so well.

Thank you. And I am so glad and happy for you too - your journey has been, and is, a wondrous thing to watch....hug.

Love FMSxx
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Thats really good to hear MOW! Bella xxxx

Comment

Yep - It is really amazing to be "normal" (well - as far as alcohol is concerned for me at least! )

I have often said here - being AF is like getting a new life!

Often wondered what causes that paradigm shift - many people here who have got a handle on their drinking talk of this "feeling different" all of a sudden.

Enjoy it - you worked hard to get there!

Love

satori

xxx
        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Two of the biggest questions (fears really) I asked myself before going AF..."How do people actually sleep through the night" and "what does one do after dinner is done, and your about to relax for the night"...The only thing I ever knew was to relax by drinking..The thought of "just going to bed", or find other ways to relax..unconcievable to me.....and I was really scared
          I find I am sleeping pretty well (hubby glad the snoring is a thing of the past), and my nights are just nights...nice bath, a little TV and bedtime... Your right MOW...whoda thunk!!!!
          sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

What's Different?

satori;223296 wrote: Yep - I
            Often wondered what causes that paradigm shift - many people here who have got a handle on their drinking talk of this "feeling different" all of a sudden
            xxx
            Tell me more.......the feeling different....I am on Day 3 and on the EDGE of my seat, just waiting for what will be different. Maybe I'll do a thread - get a list going of what's differnt in frist days, weeks, then later...because I would really like to know what I'm looking forward to - want to feel the first rewards...

G2G
            "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

Thank you for that. That's where I want to be. I've started a '30 AF please join me' post, and I think I'll cut and paste some of what you wrote if you don't mind as it's an inspiration.

Comment

I was talking about the "switch" that seemed to get thrown in my head about 4 months ago now for me.

Before that time - I was struggling with staying AF or moderating.

One day after having been here at MWO for about 4 months, I woke up one morning just "knowing" something had changed and that I was going to beat this addiction.

I described it at the time as just a feeling that I couldn't be bothered with it all any more (the hassle and stress and negative stuff that went along with drinking).

Since pretty much that day I have been AF.
                (I think it was a few days after this feeling arose that I "signed up" for 30 days AF.

That was 117 days ago!

BUT - if you want the low down on what to expect if you DO decide to stay AF.

The first few days (5 or 6) I found hard work and during those initial AF days I used Kudzu - I had not used it before then.
                I found it took the few cravings I was having away.
                After day six - I found I didn't need it any more - and have not used it (or anything else) since.

About day 11 / 12 I was finding I was sleeping better and my energy levels were rising rapidly.
                I also found I was having more vivid dreams and remembering more of them - I guess due to REM sleep no longer being messed up by booze!

About day 30 I found I was having very few thoughts about alcohol - even in the evening - my normal drinking time.

I was able about then to go into bars with friends and be around others who were drinking - triggered the odd craving - but I had enough distance from alcohol myself by then to be able to ignore the cravings.

Now - almost 4 months AF - 98% of the time do not consider alcohol an option.
                I in no sense mean I consciously deprive myself of it - I simply do not consider it any more - it doesn't come into my head when considering something to drink.
                It is almost as though I never drank alcohol to huge excess for 20 plus years!

The other 2% of the time - Yes - I still get the odd craving - and some STRONG cravings.
                Strangely it is usually for WINE - beer was what I drank to excess!
                My wife still drinks a little (as she always did) - so there is often a part bottle of red wine on the kitchen counter. I sometimes get a real urge to take a long deep swig out of the bottle as I am passing! - Weird - but these urges are very short lived and pass almost immediately.

But I look back at where I am now - how much better my life is now and how I am this way simply by chosing not to have some ethanol in my drinks, and it really is a no brainer!

I am truly much happier healthier and contented with just about all aspects my life.

I wish you all success!

Love :l

Satori
                xxx
                "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Cookinghappy - of course you can quote my post. The reason I wrote it was to encourage others.

Gotogoal - I wish I could better explain the shift I've experienced. I suppose it may be different for everyone, though, and coming at different times in the journey. I believe it is important to allow yourself to enjoy not drinking, accept the goodness of it, while not harboring romantic notions about your past drinking time, nor resentment that you must abstain. And perhaps too, it is imperative that you recognize it is a choice. If we feel forced to do something against our will - even our unconscious will, or more likely, the will of the ego - the more likely we are to rebel, thus thwarting our attempts.

I truly enjoy my AF days, and I ackowledge myself - my courage and strength - in getting me here. I am bigger than the addiction. I am stronger than the bottle's illusory allure. I own my Self and my Life, and the shackles will weigh me down no longer.

I am almost surprised to find these sentiments within me. But they are there. Did they come after the shift or precipitate it? I don't know, not sure it matters.
                  But I would imagine that had I repeated these words, with conviction, to myself over and over again, with thought, speech and in writing, I may have reached this freedom earlier.

So I would suggest that you find your own words to describe the freedom from alcohol - even if you think you are still are a stranger to that freedom. Change the sentiments as you go along to reflect your revelations, big and small, to accomodate all that you discover along the way. Get to the big and deep stuff, not just the lack of hangovers and saving money, etc.
                  Repeat them, meditate on them, speak think and write them down. Own them, for this is your declaration of independence.
                  FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

wow mow!
                    beautiful post. looks like we are all having some sort of mutual epiphany.
                    really loved reading your post.

trix
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

WOW MOW - (Hope you're OK with that - the lovely energy of this thread might have it stick!!)

Just a suggestion that anyone has a read of Xtexan's post on "THE INN - RULES AND SHOUTOUT SUNDAY 11TH NOV" (or something very like that!) as Neil (600-ish days!) writes very well in his 'Seminar post' on the change in feelings along these lines.... (not taking away from your words MOW!!)

I'm not sure which thought happened to me first - nor do I really care! It is just so good to go out and not care!

Go2 - just remembered (in case it helps any), today I saw another of those terrible adverts on TV about the number of children dying around the world from drinking dirty water....1 child dies every 17 seconds..... I remember posting this up around my house in my first 30 days to remind me to wonder why I should choose to fill myself with a poison when I had the joy of being able to turn on my tap whenever I wanted and drink clean water. I promised myself that I would think of those children as I toasted my daughter's health at her wedding on Sept 1 this year with water - and I did - and I am very 'grateful' to those children; they don't know how much they 'helped' me. I wish I could do more for them than 'honour' them with water. At least I am not 'insulting' them with booze.

Good luck - MOW, I am so happy for you. And Trixie and Satori and those of us who have found a good place...

Keep going! The view is terrific from the top of your mountain!

FMS xx
                      :heart: c: :heart:
                      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

MWO......Great post, very encouraging!! I am so Happy for You!

Satori,

Thank you for your great post! I always enjoy reading what you have to say. Great insights on what it looks and feels like to be over 100 days AF! It sounds like you really have your life on the right track! I am so happy for you too!

I am working very hard at this, still struggling......but, I know that MWO is the answer!

KateH
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Isn't this AF shit great? I'm on day 94 and I still catch myself being "just happy" about not drinking. Just a normal day still is a blessing. It's amazing how much time and energy we used to devote to drinking.

I love to see everyone getting clarity..

Don

Comment

Great to hear MOW.
                            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

MOW,

Your post totally hit home with me! My entire life I've been surrounded by people who drink and drinking to excess was viewed as ok. My parents would have cocktails (gin & tonic) every evening followed by who knows how many glasses of wine during and after dinner. They even dragged me with them to a restaurant every Friday night but would sit at the bar drinking and visiting with their friends for hours. Sometimes the restaurant staff would take pity on me and bring me some bread and butter when I got hungry. When I met my now ex inlaws who are very anti-alcohol, I thought what is wrong with these people.

I am only on day 6 AF but finding myself very restless wondering what to do when I "should be" drinking. Crazy isn't it how our minds are wired?

Pepper
                              Pepper

Comment

Working...
                              X