Consequences of Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to all you people on MWO. I have been here intermittently for about a year and a half. I posted mostly on the Alcohol in Moderation then the Abs boards. I have not been here in several months, mostly because I feel so embarassed and almost ashamed of my decision to go to treatment.

I decided to go to out patient treatment this past summer because no matter what I tried, I always returned to my 4 or so glasses of wine most evenings. I wanted to break out of this in the worst way.

About 2 weeks after this 4 week treament, I was notified by HR at the clinic I practice in that I would have to sign myself up for the state health care provider monitoring agency because of my "diagnosis" of "alcohol dependence." Despite the facts that I had absolutely no work consequences, no dwi, no consequences whatsoever (other than my own frustration with getting buzzed every night) I am being required to participate in this monitoring.

Monitoring includes: Random urine screens twice/month, I have to call the tox line every AM to see if my color has been called. Regular AA attendance with reports from a sponser that I have attended and stayed "sober" , psychiatrist evaluation, therapy visits at least 8 times/year, a work site monitor who reports I have my lipstick on straight (my feeble attempt at humor). All of this goes for THREE years or they will report me to the nursing board. I don't know what there is to report but I guess putting ones self into treatment necessitates a violation of the nurse practice act?!

I have tried my best to have a decent attitude about this but no matter what I can't maintain peace because it is so WRONG! I love being free of my wine cravings but living with this and the way it makes me feel is honestly worse. I truly would never have gone to treatment had I known I would be treated like a criminal. I thought it was a private matter, but there was/is nothing private about it. I don't know how I could have been so stupid/naive to think my going to treatment would stay private.

I have been in despair since the end of July when I found out what would be required of me. There are days I would give up my nursing license if I could afford to because this feels so demeaning. I have spoken to a few other nurses who I met at AA meetings who also had to do the monitoring program. All of them had stolen narcotics at the hospitals they worked.

Is there anyone else who is familiar with this? I know all professional organizations utilize such monitoring programs. After being involved in this program and attending AA, I truly don't even believe I am alcohol dependent because I fit none of the criteria except and inability to stop drinking alcohol. I obviously had a problem and am truly grateful I am not drinking anymore. After treatment, I had an inablitiy to stop eating hot fudge sundaes! Then it struck me that ice cream had become just like wine! Ahhh! With that recognition came freedom from the ice cream too!

While I was researching this issue, I found this story about an attorney and what she went through I was concerned about my alcohol consumption, and now I am forced into treatment. What do I do?

Anyway......hugs to all here on mwo.

Maggie

MaggieD47;223604 wrote: Hello to all you people on MWO. I have been here intermittently for about a year and a half. I posted mostly on the Alcohol in Moderation then the Abs boards. I have not been here in several months, mostly because I feel so embarassed and almost ashamed of my decision to go to treatment.

I decided to go to out patient treatment this past summer because no matter what I tried, I always returned to my 4 or so glasses of wine most evenings. I wanted to break out of this in the worst way.

About 2 weeks after this 4 week treament, I was notified by HR at the clinic I practice in that I would have to sign myself up for the state health care provider monitoring agency because of my "diagnosis" of "alcohol dependence." Despite the facts that I had absolutely no work consequences, no dwi, no consequences whatsoever (other than my own frustration with getting buzzed every night) I am being required to participate in this monitoring.

Monitoring includes: Random urine screens twice/month, I have to call the tox line every AM to see if my color has been called. Regular AA attendance with reports from a sponser that I have attended and stayed "sober" , psychiatrist evaluation, therapy visits at least 8 times/year, a work site monitor who reports I have my lipstick on straight (my feeble attempt at humor). All of this goes for THREE years or they will report me to the nursing board. I don't know what there is to report but I guess putting ones self into treatment necessitates a violation of the nurse practice act?!

I have tried my best to have a decent attitude about this but no matter what I can't maintain peace because it is so WRONG! I love being free of my wine cravings but living with this and the way it makes me feel is honestly worse. I truly would never have gone to treatment had I known I would be treated like a criminal. I thought it was a private matter, but there was/is nothing private about it. I don't know how I could have been so stupid/naive to think my going to treatment would stay private.

I have been in despair since the end of July when I found out what would be required of me. There are days I would give up my nursing license if I could afford to because this feels so demeaning. I have spoken to a few other nurses who I met at AA meetings who also had to do the monitoring program. All of them had stolen narcotics at the hospitals they worked.

Is there anyone else who is familiar with this? I know all professional organizations utilize such monitoring programs. After being involved in this program and attending AA, I truly don't even believe I am alcohol dependent because I fit none of the criteria except and inability to stop drinking alcohol. I obviously had a problem and am truly grateful I am not drinking anymore. After treatment, I had an inablitiy to stop eating hot fudge sundaes! Then it struck me that ice cream had become just like wine! Ahhh! With that recognition came freedom from the ice cream too!

Anyway......hugs to all here on mwo.

Maggie
    I'm confused. Aren't medical records confidential? How would HR find out about your diagnosis?

Comment

The director of nursing told the medical director I was at treatment when he asked where I was. My work record was/is stellar.

Comment

MaggieD47;223613 wrote: The director of nursing told the medical director I was at treatment when he asked where I was. My work record was/is stellar.
        But didn't she breach confidentiality laws by doing so?

Comment

Oh Maggie, how awful.
          This just goes to show how desperately our society's view of alcohol addiction needs to be rewritten. There are ugly stereotypes out there.
          I have a dream... that this program - MWO - will continue to grow and help people, and WE all will be proof that being an alcoholic is not a crime, that one doesn't have to go through the conventional treatments to overcome addiction, that there is no "cookie cutter" definition of an "alcoholic", and that we are good people with a problem we are solving in our own ways.

I can't imagine how you must feel.
          Hugs to you, dear.
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Wow Maggie, so sorry to hear what you have been through. It seems so unjust when your work had not been affected in any way. That type of thing is what makes so many afraid to ask for help. I would be angry as well but it appears you are "stuck" for now?

Comment

Yes, a substance abuser is a substance abuser is a substance abuser. And the attitude is, even though my alcohol use had not affected my job performance, it would eventually because it is a progressive disease. This is the attitude.

I believe my medical director intimidated the nursing director with his position of power. I believe he made her to feel she had to tell him where I was. In truth, she should not have told him. So yes, there was a break in confidentiality at my work place but I don't think there is a law against that. Just disappointing.

Comment

Maggie, I was wondering how rehab went for you. I have to say this whole thing enrages me. If you were a smoker and went for hypnosis to quit smoking would you be treated like this? No f*&ing way. This is why I could never, until society will see that "we" are no different than smokers or overeaters, discuss this with a health care professional. I have seen too many members here get screwed over by insurance companies all because they had the words "alcohol dependence" on their records. While I know it is probably the safer route if you are taking prescription anti-craving medications to be under a doctor's care, the repercussions of being honest and reaching out for help are not worth it to me.

Having said that, maybe this kind of monitoring will keep you AF and that is the bottom line. I am sorry you are having to go through this but I hope you are at peace now that you are AF!

Good to hear from you. Hope we see you again!
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I hate that Big Brother thing - so sorry to read your story - it just keeps people from getting the support and help.

Hang in there
                  "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

Just something to think about. Many companies now abide by the "Drug Free Work Environment". Alcohol is considered a drug. Companies do this for many reason's, safety, security etc. Another big reason for this is Liability and Business Insurance. Unfortunately these are the times that we live in.

Another thing on the Privacy issue, it is not a privacy issue if we speak about it. By speaking, we essentially, give up our right to privacy. It truly sucks to have our confidence betrayed, by somone we trust. This is a reminder to all of us to think hard, before we speak! That goes for me too!

KateH
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I'm furious for you Maggie. I am glad that you have met some other nurses who have been through the same scrutiny, although for different reasons. I'm going to spare everyone by not going on a rant though.

I'm happy to see you back.

Hugs,:l

Kathy
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

The fact that they did not catch a drug in your system by a random check in the first place would lead me to believe... that because you voluntarily opted to handle this... maybe you felt it was for weight or allergies... that they do not have the right to invade you private medical records, or your reasons why. Had they of been the ones to catch it... then they would have the right to go forth. It seems a little bass ackwards to me....
                        Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

I'm really sorry this happened to you. It is unfair, to say the very least.

((((HUGS)))) Myheart
                          Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                          - George Jackson

Comment

Hi Maggie,

What does your professional association say about the way this was handled?

The Medical Director is covering his ass, perhaps you and the Director of Nursing should have decided on how to handle this ahead of time. It is a legal issue. Black and white.

It is infuriating and your confidence was breeched in more ways than one. That is more than unfair. And no, you were not running off with narcotics from the cabinet.

But you are being protected as well here. You admit to being unable to curb your alcohol intake, and you sought treatment. You had not put your patients at risk and by all accounts are a fine nurse. Big bonus for you. You gave yourself a head start.

So, God forbid, the day someone gives Mr. Jones a double dose of morphine, or the left knee has the surgery instead of the right......Maggie will not be #1 suspect because she can prove she has been sober (according to prescribed protocol).

Is it their protocol/program you find so upsetting or the breech of your privacy?

I hope you can find the strength to continue with the program gracefully as what you do now will follow you for the rest of your professional life.

Your Director of Nursing failed you miserably and I am sorry for that but I truly feel that patients are entitled to clean and sober nurses. I know you would agree.

I am in no way implying anything untoward about you Maggie, I want to make that perfectly clear. I hope in the future you can get your head round this and move forward as it seems as though you don't have much choice.

I wish you strength,

magic xx
                            ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                            I am in the next seat.
                            My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Thanks for all the suport.

Maggie

Comment

Working...
                              X