Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labels and Stigma

Just had another flash of insight here.

I hate the word alcoholic, as it seems to be a word used by a society just chomping at the bit to put a judgemental label on a humans existence.

So I got to thinking, why is there no such thing as a tobaccoholic? That word does not exist. They are just called "smokers". It does not matter if you smoke 1 cigarette a day, or 4 packs a day, you are still just a smoker. It can be qualified by light smoker, or heavy smoker.

So why isn't if you just drink one drink a day, or 20 drinks a day you are still just a "drinker"? Light drinker, or heavy drinker would be the modifiers to stay consistent with the tobacco model of definition.

A semantic difference, of some significance I would think. A smoker can be just as out of control as a drinker with addiction, if not more so. Same effect of physical destruction.

How about sugarholic? Gambleholic? Nope. Not there.

Anybody care to comment on this? Why the moralistic double-standard?

Neil

Labels and Stigma

You bring up an interesting point.

I am under the impression that there has been a movement to classify alcoholism as a disease in order to protect alcoholics or defend them. So previously, people might have been looked down on and then suddenly, instead, they have a disease they cannot control so they are sick, not immoral. I could be wrong but this is my impression.

But this idea of alcoholism became a burden for people who don't want to label themselves. And it doesn't seem to apply to people with a full range of drinking problems. Also, I think there is something inherently addictive in alcohol and that given the chance and the right psychological conditions, many people can become dependent.
    I don't believe there is some special gene or makeup that brands people as alcoholics, beyond all control. Actually, I think alcoholism often is a symptom of mental illness.

It's interesting that people with drinking problems quit only to develop other addictions. Similarly it's interesting to read of people who have surgery for weight problems, only to develop alcoholism after surgery. This suggests that the addiction is more general and psychological because it's transferred to another substance.

People do use the terms shopaholic and foodaholic but these are used pretty lightly.

Terms do matter.

Comment

Labels and Stigma

I agree Neil! and also very much enjoyed your insight Nancy. We live in a world that is so indeed vain. Hollywood seems to run the world's opinions sadly.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Hey Texan, Nancy, and Deter. That is interesting. Never thought of that. It is ironic considering the insane amount of smoker bashing now a days. All those TRUTH commercials telling us smoking is bad for you. No Shit Einstein. Thanks for the memo!! I wouldn't have known. Yet, never an ad about the dangers of alcohol, yet alcohol is so evil, it turns people into these things. These horrible creatures. These creatures are known as alcoholics!!! The name almost sounds like an evil sci-fi being. Our society is messed up. I also hate the whole "alcoholic for life label." When people stop smoking, wouldn't it sound smug to say, "dude, you're not an ex-smoker. You are a smoker for life. Always in recovery." Double standard.
        where does this go?

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Nancy. I completely agree with the "mental illness" opinion. People hear that term, and get freaked out. However, I believe it all stems from some pistons not firing right in the brain. I truly believe that. Of course, I don't know shit, but that makes more sense than all of the other theories out there. One day they'll find this out, and there will be meds that not only help with cravings, or make you throw up if you try to drink. It will set the brain right. Set the brain in a way of a non "alcoholic." They used to lobotomize people with manic-depression. Now, throw them on some lithium, and no lobotomy needed. (provided they follow all the other guidelines.)
          where does this go?

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Very interesting topic.
            It has come up before @ our house many times...
            Hubby has argued that smoking (his nasty little habit), has never caused him to loose a job, or be arrested, etc... Although I must admit... when he's out of smokes.... could be bordering on belligerent!

I must point out that I was driving home from town last week, mid morning, for no reason, a car coming towards me, on a windy river road... all of a sudden swerved into my lane!
            It just happened to be at a rare place where there was a short straight stretch of highway...
            I don't think this person was drunk... I think maybe they dropped something...
            I'll never know. But from what I saw, and the sudden change & quik response... my guess would be, an "OH F*ck!" reaction. It's the closest I've probably ever come to a head on collision! I almost puked! I hit the dirt on my side of the road...

Sorry, this is getting a bit long... but I think ya get my point. I know a LOT of people who have been in accidents because of smokes being dropped. It happens.
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Neil! Don't start me! I so agree with you and 3 months of AA and the labelling from my now ex partner (Hmmm) nearly finished me off! (I still find it intriguing from time to time to remember that my ex partner seemed to work tirelessly to label me an alcoholic even when (well, back then!) I drank only a glass a night. To him, (who drank it too!) that was excessive - so where is that 'line'? And why on earth was it absolutely imperative to him that I was 'one' and not just 'give up'? I will never know. (The 'obvious' doesn't convice me - knew him, and of him, too long.) It was a label I refused to take...(I say final because I think my minimal self-esteem would have finally sunk below the parapet and I'm not sure where I would have been.) Instead I found here.........nearly 6 months ago.

And Jude....I have said for years and years.....if 'they' say that 25% of all accidents are casued by drunk drivers (at which point the 'righteous' nod wildly and make rules up) then 75% of accidents are caused by SOBER drivers....! (At which point I am looked at with a, "and your point is?" and nothing is done.) That is a huge double standard. (My current pet-hate is no speaking on a mobile/cell fone while driving, taking care with radio station changing, not being allowed to eat at the wheel, but you can have a Sat Nav system almost totally blocking the view out of the windscreen even before the driver, at 80 miles an hour on a busy road, peers at a tiny TV screen to see the tiny red wiggly line crawling over a million other tiny black lines and a voice-no-one-likes bangs on about how you've gone wrong or have to turn right over a cliff.... If THAT isn't recipe for an accident I don't know what is! Add a dropped fag (noticeably not banned) and.................

Love FMS xx
              :heart: c: :heart:
              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Um, another 'fresh' one for you!

Our BBC news is reporting today about the concerns about the massive increase in drink related health issues.... So, 'the powers that be' are going to "increase taxes on alcohol to enable them to get the money to research how to combat the damage of alcohol use".

Is it me?
                :heart: c: :heart:
                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Finding My Self;223707 wrote:
                  Is it me?
                  Yep - I can vouch for the fact that it is definitely you.

Looks like you finally found your self.

You will have to change your name again to
                  Finally found my self sitting in front of the 'puter.

Yep - I know - I'm strange - get over it! I have

Love

Satori
                  xxx
                  "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Labeling addictions

This is such an interesting subject. If anyone has read Caroline Knapp's book, "Drinking, A Love Story", one of the first lines in the book is her mother telling Caroline, "We need to talk about your drinking - it's so much worse than the smoking". Well, Caroline finally ended her love affair with alcohol, but guess what?! She died of lung cancer a couple of years later!

Since I have been AF since last spring, I have developed a raging sweet tooth - never been much of a problem before. Now I start my day with tootsie rolls and end it with a can of frosting. Fortunately, I am tall and fairly slender, so weight hasn't been too much of a problem, but my sugar is running high in my recent lab tests, so I am probably heading toward a new problem - diabetes. I had it during my pregnancies and was told I could develop it as I get older. I'm sure my new diet of sugar, sugar, sugar is not helping. So, it's kind of a catch 22.

Adnil

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Oh and another thing! FMS - don't agree about sat nav I'm afraid!
                      Wouldn't use a phone or eat or do anything else while driving - but you take my sat nav away and - well I would be lost without it.

No - seriously - I mean REALLY lost! My sense of direction is terrible!

Don't actually have to look at the screen very much as that nice Sat Nav lady talks to me nicely and calmly no matter how many times I take a wrong turning.
                      She just rethinks the route and calmly gets on with directing me there.

My sat nav has saved me from serious injury on many an occasion - from SWMBO!!

SWMBO has lost it on many occasions in the past when acting as navigator - coz she cant read maps, and I have a poor sense of direction.

But - of course getting lost was always 110% MY failt - coz I should have KNOWN that she meant left when she said right etc etc etc...

Safer to stick with the Sat Nav IMHO!

Sat Nav lady has never thrown the map down into the footwell and demanded to be let out of the car so she can take a bus, for example. :H

Oh the joys of marriage!

Love

Satori

xxx
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Labels and Stigma

I met ONE criteria for alcohol dependence (the new word for alcoholic) and ZERO criteria for alcohol abuse. My evaluator still found a way to diagnose me.

Q: What is the difference between alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence?

A:Alcohol abuse is described as any "harmful use" of alcohol.
                        The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV describes alcohol abusers as those who drink despite recurrent social, interpersonal, and legal problems as a result of alcohol use. Harmful use implies alcohol use that causes either physical or mental damage.

Those who are alcohol dependent meet all of the criteria of alcohol abuse, but the will also exhibit some or all of the following:

Narrowing of the drinking repertoire (drinking only one brand or type of alcoholic beverage).

Drink-seeking behavior (only going to social events that will include drinking, or only hanging out with others who drink).

Alcohol tolerance (having to drink increasing amounts to achieve previous effects).

Withdrawal symptoms (getting physical symptoms after going a short period without drinking).

Drinking to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms (such as drinking to stop the shakes or to "cure" a hangover).

Subjective awareness of the compulsion to drink or craving for alcohol (whether they admit it to others or not).

A return to drinking after a period of abstinence (deciding to quit drinking and not being able to follow through).
                        Typically, those drinkers who are diagnosed as only alcohol abusers can be helped with a brief intervention, including education concerning the dangers of binge drinking and alcohol poisoning.
                        Those who have become alcohol dependent generally require outside help to stop drinking, which could include detoxification, medical treatment, counseling and/or self-help group support[/I][/I]

Comment

Labels and Stigma

I personally hate the word.

Sammys

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Anyway - Hijack over!

Yep - not too bothered about the labels myself - people can call me what they want - but society definitely tends to view people with alcohol problems as worse than those with addictions to tobacco.

Then again - it tends to look at drug users as worse than alcohol abusers.
                            Possibly the societal view is in some sort of proportion to the percieved harm being done to the user / his/her family / society at large.

Probably the downer on alcohol abusers has its roots further back when more families often had barely enough income to survive.
                            Father drinking away the wages on a friday night would put the whole family in serious jeopardy.

Satori

xxx

Comment

Labels and Stigma

Who cares about what other people say or thinK? After all, it is only, Their Opinion...right? It is the choice of each of us to accept labels and stigma or not. I choose not to. I truly believe in the quote by RW Emerson "Do not become attached to the high opinions of others", in other words, whether it is a compliment or a criticism, it is really about them and their perception at the time, it has little or nothing to do with who we are.

It sure makes life easier!

Best,
                              KateH
                              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X