Medical Confidentiality and HIPAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Confidentiality and HIPAA

Because of some recent postings regarding the issue of medical confidentiality, I think it is important to discuss this. I would hate to think that some, needing medical attention for alcohol would not seek medical attention for fear of their employer gaining access to their personal medical records.

Because of the HIPAA laws, no one may gain access to your personal medical records without your permission. The acception to this law, is of course, your medical insurance company. Even if you are applying for insurance with a new company, you must give permission for the new company to access your records.

However, if you choose to share medical information with co-workers, or a boss. You give up your right to confidentiality in this area. So, use caution when speaking about any medical or alcohol related issues. You might open a pandora's box for yourself by sharing!

In some company's and, or profession's, awareness of alcohol abuse or problems must be addressed by the employer. It cannot be overlooked due to Insurance, Liability and, or licensing issues.

In my opinion, we do not have to have full disclosure of our personal information nor our personal lives with anyone. It is our choice to disclose or not. But, if we choose to dislose personal information, we run the risk of this information becoming known by more than just the person or person's we share with. If these people share the information, It IS NOT a Breach of Confidentiality, perhaps it is a Breach of Trust.

I hope this helps, you can of course, google HIPAA to learn more about your rights.

Wishing all a wonderful day!
    KateH
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007
Working...
X