Need Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Ideas

Hi everyone, I am a 46 year old female,with two teenagers, and all I have done over the past seventeen years is care for my children, work, do chores (and drink on and off the past 5 years). I am af over forty days and have no intention of resuming drinking. I can get pretty bored and lonely, especially in the evenings and on weekends. I would very much like some ideas on meeting new, live friends (I adore my MWO buddies, some l adore my MWO buddies, but some live bodies would also be nice). Any ideas on where and how to meet new people? Please advise and thanks, j
    Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Need Ideas

Janka,
    Think about your hobbies and what you enjoy doing and then find clubs and meetings that focus on your interests. I find it easier to make friends when you have something in common, and the focus is on the hobby so talking comes easier. Check out some of the college area newspapers or even the organic food stores/delis.
    Good Luck! Dx
    * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Need Ideas

janka;225546 wrote: Hi everyone, I am a 46 year old female,with two teenagers, and all I have done over the past seventeen years is care for my children, work, do chores (and drink on and off the past 5 years). I am af over forty days and have no intention of resuming drinking. I can get pretty bored and lonely, especially in the evenings and on weekends. I would very much like some ideas on meeting new, live friends (I adore my MWO buddies, some l adore my MWO buddies, but some live bodies would also be nice). Any ideas on where and how to meet new people? Please advise and thanks, j
      You could try joining a gym, and going there in the evenings. If the gym has exercise classes, so much the better. That's a great way to meet people. Or, how about a book club? I see them at our local Barnes and Noble all the time during the evening.

I know what you mean about being lonely. My one daughter has gone off to college and my sons are teenagers, doing their own thing. I often feel at loose ends in the evening. I'm trying to think of things to do out of the house, so I'm not tempted to shut myself away in my room and drink.

Comment

Need Ideas

Janka
        I'm sorry I can't give you any. But I need some too. Hope someone can help us out.
        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Need Ideas

Thanks Ladies ... I get sooooooooooo bored sometimes, could easily go sit by the bar a few blocks away, strike up a convo (without drinking) with some poor soul and laugh, maybe even dance. I can be bold, but do not want to do that, j
          Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Need Ideas

Have you ever tried yoga Janka?

Comment

Need Ideas

I was thinking that too Nancy. Janka - like Dx said- think about what your interests are, either currently, or things that you would like to pursue. It also depends on what's available in your area - but it can be kind of fun to just go to different things and see what you like. Could be art classes, poetry readings, book discussion groups,lectures, yoga classes, meditation groups, church (if you're not religious in a traditional way - Unitarian Churches can be great), Ski Clubs, Hiking clubs, crafts classes (my local yarn store has very fun and cool knitting classes - not your grandma's knitting!), dance classes, exercise classes (I've heard people really have fun at Curves),cooking classes..... and on and on - as peope have already said. If there's a college near by, they often have some great extension classes.

Look at the local papers, local free papers, look on craigslist, community bulletin boards, public library, or, as my mother always says, volunteer! Here's a site from Fairfiled county in CT - if you're in another county, there's probably some other site like it.
              http://www.volunteersolutions.org/vcswfc/volunteer/

Can you tell I've been a little bored in the suburbs? lol !!! I'm a hobby-holic! I agree nights and weekends can feel kinda lonely. Good luck on your adventure!

wonder xx

Comment

Need Ideas

Have you thought about a combo coffee shop/bookstore? Like Borders?

I don't have kids but a couple of saturdays ago I drove by a soccer field. It looked so lively with all the families and kids. I'm tempted to grab a blanket and book and just go sit and watch. Might be a way to meet people too..

Comment

Working...
                X