Does this count - 'traditional' drink!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going for 30 days AF after a couple of practice runs of a few days. Taking the meds and they seem to be working. My real problem zone is in the evening, opening that first bottle of wine - sometimes it is the first and only (but drink all of it), sometimes no. 2 gets cracked open too. However, in the winter I do trail hunting twice a week which is like the real (banned in the UK) hunting, without chasing any animals. One of the traditions still kept is that we have a stirrup cup at the meet. This is a small glass of port or similar. Now, I don't think that one tiny port drunk at 11am the beginning of 3-4 hours riding has any affect on my drinking or otherwise later in the day. I had one today and I have been out all evening with booze offered left, right and centre and not actually wanted a drop (driving anyway but that hasn't stopped me in the past) so I don't think it does make any difference.

Just interested in how others view this/would deal with it and would it negate any effects of any of the meds??

Thanks for reading a rather daft and self indulgent question.

Bessie:thanks:

Hey Bessie -

Whether the stirrup cup "counts" or not as far as being AF, is less what I would be worried about, but rather, will it make it harder to be AF the rest of the time during those 30 days? I know, it sounds a little crazy, but there is really something to the fact that even a small anmount of alcohol can set the whole craving thing in motion big time and can break down your defenses. It's simple brain chemistry. Maybe the meds and supps would counteract that effect, i don't know. If 30 days is your goal - you could skip it just to be on the safe side - you know, the old "I'm on a medication that deosn't mix with alcohol", or something like that.

my 2 cents, for what it's worth!
    wonder

Comment

Bessie;225727 wrote: I am going for 30 days AF after a couple of practice runs of a few days. Taking the meds and they seem to be working. My real problem zone is in the evening, opening that first bottle of wine - sometimes it is the first and only (but drink all of it), sometimes no. 2 gets cracked open too. However, in the winter I do trail hunting twice a week which is like the real (banned in the UK) hunting, without chasing any animals. One of the traditions still kept is that we have a stirrup cup at the meet. This is a small glass of port or similar. Now, I don't think that one tiny port drunk at 11am the beginning of 3-4 hours riding has any affect on my drinking or otherwise later in the day. I had one today and I have been out all evening with booze offered left, right and centre and not actually wanted a drop (driving anyway but that hasn't stopped me in the past) so I don't think it does make any difference.

Just interested in how others view this/would deal with it and would it negate any effects of any of the meds??

Thanks for reading a rather daft and self indulgent question.

Bessie:thanks:
      Sounds potentially dangerous to me, bessie. I mean you're poised to go AF for 30 days. Why take a chance? It's easy to enough make excuses for not drinking -- the medication one is excellent. I guess I'd figure "Better safe than sorry."

Just my opinion, at any rate.

Comment

Bessie, If I said I was quitting smoking but smoked 1/2 a cigarette twice a week, would I be quitting?

(it's a yes or no question)

It's AF- alcohol free, not AAF- almost alcohol free..

Don

Comment

Bessie, I love that name.

A drink in the morning on otherwise 'AF' days is just dangerous.

Best of luck, Bessie!

magic xx
          ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
          I am in the next seat.
          My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

You could "fake a sip" and then toss the contents of the cup into nearby shrubbery. A little trick I learned while pregnant but waiting a bit to anounce it

....OR, if you don't think it will mess up your goals, then drink it. Everyone is different, you know what is best for you....but tossing it in the bushes works like a charm
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

Thanks all - I guess you're all saying what I was thinking deep down. I like the giving up smoking analogy Chief. I do intend to be AF rather than 'AAF'! Although, interestingly I always consider myself a non-smoker but once every maybe few months or so I enjoy a couple of cigarettes and that is it for another few months. Would be pretty fab to be that unconnected to alcohol!

The idea of sipping and chucking the drink made me laugh thanks MHIDIW. I didn't mention that it is drunk usually whilst mounted and trying to surreptitiously chuck the contents from a glass of port from a bouncy grey horse will almost certainly result in a big port coloured stain down side of said horse - or cream jodphurs!!

The clincher is, thanks Wonderworld, that it might affect the brain chemistry which is, after all, what I am working on to beat the beast.

So, I'll be declining the port from now on - "gives me a headache" or "pre-Christmas detox" The people I go out with would want to know what problem was if I said I was on medication!!

Comment

Good luck Bessie - good on you for working out Your Own Method! I know the drink you mean and if you can get it to your lips at all atop a bouncy grey horse...well, good on you! (And nothing like having to use Reckitts Blue to get Port Red out of the Grey White!!!LOL!)

I guess it's a bit like the discussions that go on about taking wine at communion...some can't, some choose not to, some can...I know that's even less an amount...but I hope you find a way that works for you... Certainly, stick firm in the first 60 days at least...

Happy Hunting!
                FMSxx
                :heart: c: :heart:
                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Reckitts Blue - can you still get it?? Might be just the thing for all the other mud/muck stains on the horse and jodphurs! Grey horses are like mud magnets and whoever thought that wearing cream coloured trousers for galloping through mud and puddles was a good idea wants slapping. Guess it was from days gone by when everyone had servants!. At least we have washing machines with hot cycles!

The idea of getting through the season without that glass of port is not bad - there's always next season by which time I hope to be a fully fledged and highly successful moderate drinker!!

Magic - Bessie is the name of one of my dawgs - she is so sweet and blonde. Not a bit like me!!

Bessie x

Comment

Don't know Bessie! Wondered as I typed it!! I rode polo ponies (never played! Just had gorgeous ponies to ride out for free as it helped the local yard!) and my little favourite was grey (and got 'greyer' - like, snow white - as she got older! 28!) unless we got a bit keen and she went blue with the stuff!!! Polo pitches can't half chuck up some mud in this country.... You 've got me wondering now! I'll check it out!

Spot on....what's a year to reach a solid moderation? But it takes work and persistence...but at least then you'll know.... instead of relying on that useless thing called 'hope'!
                    :heart: c: :heart:
                    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                    X