Alcohol Free Christmas and New Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out shopping the other day for birthday and Xmas presents ( Yep! I'm a single bloke so gotta do it all myself this year!!) and while browsing various stores etc It dawned upon me that I was actually quite enjoying myself and not stressed in the slightest. In the past I would of needed at least 4 cans of Super Strength cider to even get me through the front door and a few stop offs at the pubs around the shopping centre to keep me from going completely insane. I also found as well that I was not even thinking about trying to keep x amount of money back so I could buy as much alcohol as I could over the Xmas period. The thought never even entered my head and although I still have a very tight budget I actually felt for the first time in 10 years that I was actually thinking about other people rather than my own selfish alcoholic needs.

It will be the first time in 10 years that I will be spending Xmas and New Year sober but I feel absolutely OK with that. My humbling experience while out shopping made me think about all the previous years I had ruined by getting absolutely KO'd (all in the name of Xmas). I know for a fact my 3 year old daughter will appreciate the time and effort I put in with her this year as well, as last year I quite simply didn't give a f*** about her because of my drinking.

Just wanted to relate how humble and high spirited I'm starting to feel for the first time in years about Xmas.

Love and Happiness :h
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

spirit

That is a great post, Hippie, this year will be magical for you and your daughter. I feel in the spirit too, feeling good about my progress, I want to put up the tree and lights around the house, really want to celebrate. If only there was some snow. :H
    The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

I loved the post Hippie,
      Keep it up:goodjob: .Stay strong over Christmas and give your daughter a great big hug for me...:l
      Victoria xxooxx

Comment

W.T.F. are you doing in that electric chair, hip? :H

Am so proud of you for sobering up and becoming the kind of Daddy your wee girl so deserves........enjoy her.....kids aren`t little for long. Wishing you and your Little Princess the most special, fun-filled, love-filled Christmas.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

your avatar hurts
          congratulations on laying off the booze for the holidays, that really is and acomplishement

Trix
          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I know the feeling. I had it the past two times I was on holiday with the family. It was such a relief and feeling of freedom to not be thinking about the next drink, and just be enjoying the moment. And I also actually remember what we did-- that's a bonus.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

yeh, and it's time for an avatar change...you are disturbing your sensitive fan-club.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Well done Hippie it looks like you have come along way from last year. you should be proud of yourself. must be wonderful knowing that now you can enjoy buying presents for your little girl. The best bit is seeing there surprise on there little faces when they open there presents, (enjoy it)
                I also agree with trixietrack and beatle your avatar (is upsetting me,) time for a change ok!!
                Love
                Teardrop.x

family is everything to me

Comment

:goodjob: Great post Hippie

Keep strong focused and really enjoy your Christmas with your daughter. I admire your determination

:l Sweetpea xxx
                  :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

I am so with you on this one Hippie. Although I didn't drink on Christmas Eve, Day or on New Years last year, this year will be a fantastic one. No in between drinking, no hangovers, just the pure joy of the holiday season. This will be the first Christmas I believe since I was 16 without the loom of alcohol for me. That is almost 20 years!

Enjoy!

Comment

What a lovely feeling that must be for you Hippie! I bet your ex is also really happy that you have got a real grip on things now? Your daughter is a very lucky girl to have you as her dad. Blink and her childhood will be gone, so make the most and relish the expression on her face when she opens up all her presents. Christmas is for the kids and we are so lucky to have them. I hope you can be with her over xmas.

Lots of love,

Bella xxxx

Comment

Very inspiring, Hippie. it's good that you posted this, for those (including me) who are worried about the holidays.
                        I am, however, quite dissappointed that I missed the disturbing avatar. It's so hard to keep up with things around here!!

May your hollies be ever jolly.
                        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I also missed the avatar (please pm it to me son so that I can keep up) ....

I am so pleased for you, and can understand, I used to feel anxious (due to a hangover) going into busy shops so I would avoid them without alcohol.........

But this year is very different ..........

Well done Hippie .............

BB xx
                          sigpicXXX

Comment

Great post Hippie

We're all going to have a great holiday this year. Very sober and very very fun.
                            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Great post Hippie. Happy Holidays to you & your little one. :banana: inkele: :alf: :danthin:
                              The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
                              X