To count...or not count?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To count...or not count?

Following on from some thoughts at The Inn I thought I'd put up a thread about counting AF days....how, why, what, where etc :H

When I started AF I counted every day and felt quite manic about it! As time has gone on I find I am actually forgetting the number of days. I can't sort out in my head whether this is a good sign or a bad sign?? Am I getting complacent or am I finally 'switched' off to alcohol?

I know this will be different for different folks...but I'd be interested to know what y'all think. Thanks.

Suze x
    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

To count...or not count?

I am the same in that I counted obsessively in the early days - and now I have to think to see where I am.

But I still DO keep count in my diary - I may now miss recording every day - but I DO update the count on days when I remember to do so.

I think it IS useful to me, as I still want to remind myself that I have built up an impressive (for me anyway!) number of AF days, so that I am not tempted to ruin it all.
    Perhaps I subconsciously feel that if I no longer count, I would be letting my guard down too much and the beast might slip "under the wire"

Love

satori

xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

To count...or not count?

Way to go Suze! I think losing count is a good sign-- you have lost the obsession. But I also agree with Satori. Keeping count is a good way to keep up your motivation. (But perhaps you don't need that motivation anymore?). I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just stay AF and it won't matter, will it?
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

To count...or not count?

I totally relate to what you say Suze. I also was completely obsessed with keeping track of my AF count when I first quit. Now?.......well, I know I`m very close to the 4 mth. mark, but I couldn`t actually say how many days I`m AF off the top of my head.

Perhaps we kind of expect to fail when we first quit and that`s why we`re so intent on keeping track of the no. of days........dunno really???

I just think as we get deeper into AF, there is no real point in counting. I mean, it`s not as if we plan on AF coming to an end, like say, how we look forward to Christmas or any special occasion.

So saying, I don`t think there`s anything wrong at all in keeping a running AF total........sometimes it is nice to sit down and work out how many AF days we have.......it does give one a lovely wee warm glow and feeling of well-deserved pride.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

To count...or not count?

I always count and the number is always one. That's the only number that counts to me. I know vaguely what the overall number is, but the only day that means anything to me really is today. That is the only day I can control. The number is always one. That is always the hardest and most important number.
          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

To count...or not count?

Mags,

Your post sounds like lyrics to a song... maybe we should make an MWO theme song?
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

To count...or not count?

Ha Ha Beatle. Maybe 3 Dog Night would sing it!!
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

To count...or not count?

Dear Mr Beatle,

Just like you, my problem isn't giving up: It's giving up on giving up.
                Long Road
                Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

To count...or not count?

Reaching short terms goals (i.e 1 week or 30 days AF) and adding them together is motivating and reassuring. Same for hearing OTHER people's counts. I like hearing success stories - it really helps.
                  The only time I really hate counting is when I 'fail'.
                  I have lost track in the past, AF became 'no big deal' , which turned into taking it for granted - and 'taking my eye off the ball'. I thinks it's healthy to respect and appreciate the AF accomplishments, mine and others', so they don't lose their meaning. Forgetting the past is a fatal mistake. I'm weathering those consequences right now - again. yuk!!!!

wonder xx

Comment

To count...or not count?

Just read this quote Long Road posted on another thread-

"the danger point comes after a victory when we think there are no more battles"

Captures is quite well, I think.

Comment

To count...or not count?

Mags you are as wise as yoda
                      "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

To count...or not count?

SlightlySuzie: Funny that you should bring this subject up. My Dad just asked me how I'm doing with my AF days. I was vague at first in answering him. For a minute there I scrambled with giving him a number. I randomly said, "140" when indeed it's "142". Anyway, the way in which I said it, sounded like I was lying, or at least I think anyway. I no longer count my days AF. I would not say that I'm complacent, but I can say, "I accept the fact that I can't drink anymore, and that I just roll along with life. I have to admit, I miss the tast of red wine, particularly Cabernet, but I don't miss the buzz, nor do I miss losing control over my life. - Reenie
                        September 23, 2011

Comment

To count...or not count?

Trust your gut instinct

Over 9 years ago I ?forgot? to drink for a week, woke up one day and thought a week has gone by and I didn?t drink!!! Still not sure how that happened as I was a very heavy vodka drinker. Didn?t count after that but figure it was definitely 5 years sober probably closer to 5 ?. Not counting is good for me because it takes away the fixation on drinking or not drinking. We are all different just trust your gut instinct and go for it.
                          Cheers

Comment

To count...or not count?

wow

just gotta say...I have nothing to add...except this thread really is inspiring to me!! The thought that I can get to a place in which I stop thinking so much about drinking that I am NOT counting??? That is inspiring..although this thread is mostly filled with posts from those of you who have obtained amazing amounts of time AF... I really hope newbies, and those like me who struggle read it!! part if the fear of quitting is that it will never get ok..or good, that we will always be "missing something". These posts tell me that is NOT the case.

Thanks guys

Beth
                            formerly known as bak310

Comment

To count...or not count?

Beth: The more AF days you get behind you, the more you will realize drinking does not enhance you life. Drinking either brings on more problems or temporarily deadens the problems you currently have. Life becomes much more managable when you dont drink. I live each day as it comes....good or bad. Life for me is definately a positive adventure. I'm free of the one burden that has plagued me for the past 7 years. Gone is the guilt, the questioning as to whether or not I can drink like a "normal" person, and the wasted days of dealing with hangovers. There's hope for everyone.
                              September 23, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X