The truth..from Roberta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth..from Roberta

THANK YOU, Mags. It's inspirational to read your opinion, after being 3 years AF. Did you go through the Honeymoon phase, and adjust to your new normal? How did you find your new "normal" that Satori refers to? Just curious... :l

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

Great post Mags, as always!

I agree completely!

m. xx
      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
      I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

I am living a 'normal' life now - sober for 13 months - and life is still exciting and I'm still thrilled with myself for not drinking. I am excited because I can do anything I want to, when I want to. I don't have to rush home to get drunk, I don't have to feel like crap all day until I get the next drink into me. Life is just so much better sober it will never be "normal"!!
        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

I am so glad this thread is up and running again! Thanks!

...because it is really interesting to look at this question again a few months on.....the changes still go on and on .....and the realisations....which are huge and challenging and relieving....but progress is visible!

Interesting about "The Honeymoon Period"....I do think there is one....and then life kicks back in and days can get monotonous and difficult and black rings under the eyes happen.....life happens...but it is still easier and preferable to stay sober than to go back to 'ATS' (all that sh*t!).....this time though it takes a decision (that gets easier) rather than be carried along with the excitement of the novelty....and that decision making becomes a way of life and you become that noN-drinker. And each decision reinforces the last one and you get stronger and stronger...and you have developed a good habit!

Good luck!

Looking forward to Satori's reply very much........!

FMS xx
          :heart: c: :heart:
          "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

WOW, what an amazing resurrection!

Flip, fantastic thread and Mags, that was very poignant. I absolutely love to read replies like that. I really needed this kind of kick right now.

Thank you all!

Namaste,

MM
            Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

I feel like all of you are so far ahead of me, I may never really get there. I know it's up to me, but I keep failing myself. Maybe I can, or not, I'm not sure. But I do know it's all up to me and it's all in my own mind. My body is ready to get started, it's just in my mind. It's how I think of myself.

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

Awesome thread Flip!
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

Oh and Gret....you can do it honey!

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

Gret.....I so remember what you mean....the only way for me was never to look further forward than today.... I didn't much go for AA but I am eternally grateful for their, "Just don't have the first drink" and "I wont drink today".....it got me to about 6 weeks on its own...and then I found here and it was great.

So, no drink today and you WILL get there... Donl't look back and don't look forward.....little steps and stay balanced and you'll be amazed!

Good Luck!

FMS xx
                    :heart: c: :heart:
                    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

FMS, I am so impressed with your resolution. Keep your strength.

Big Smiles....

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

I think everyone is right who says not to take the first drink. I know if I have one it's over for the evening. Didn't have one last night. I feel better for it today. One day at a time makes sense, I guess everything has always been so easy for me. This is the first time I've really had to consider working on something this hard. Make sense? Maybe I'm spoiled. I don't mean to whine, I admire all of you who are working on yourselves. It's so commendable. I want to be more like you!

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

It is completely a mind thing. When you accept you are no longer a drinker and STOP battling your own self, you can then stop drinking...HARD to do. But, the truth.

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

OH and one ALWAYS turns in to 10 for me. There is no in between. I wish I could moderate, but I can't.

Comment

The truth..from Roberta

Gret, if you just take it one day at a time (sometimes even an hour at a time), those days will start adding up. You'll find yourself with a month, then two, then four, and so on. One day it will be a year. Just don't pick up that first drink! I just kept putting one foot in front of the other because I didn't want to go back to square one yet again. At one point (about 5 months) a year just seemed so far away, and I felt so envious of people who had a year or more. Then at 6 months, I felt like I had come to the top of a mountain, and it felt like it got easier then. You can do it too.

Good luck and lots of hugs,:l :l

Kathy
                              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X