• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why AA Does Not Work Gets In The Way

[ame= ]YouTube - Why AA doesn't work for over 97% of people who join[/ame]

I hate AA.

Thanks, Lucky, for the UTube link.

YIKES! This is not another Reefer Madness hoot. Particularly scary is the piece on drunk driving.

Drunk driving scares the h@ll out of me--not that I didn't occasionally do it during my younger years. One of the reasons I'm glad that I live in a city is that my daughter will be spared by public transit from traveling the open roads with her peers. So . . . she's probably safe until she leaves for college at 17!

Maybe I should let her watch the clip . . .

E

edit: hmm . . . don't know how it happened but I thought that I was responding to the other thread Lucky started. And I'm not even drinking!

Comment

I think I am a dry drunk. More research needed. Thanks Lucky.
      It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Thanks Lucky for the link -- definitely interesting.

Flip, I have heard of dry drunks, but what does that mean exactly? I always thought it referred to someone who was miserable having to be sober... like not drinking was settling for a second-choice life. But you seem so happy, so what does it mean to you? Just curious.
        If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Lucky - thank you! That is brilliant - well, I like it! I loved the, "Why do you invent a disease and not invent a cure?" And when she says drinking is a "A metabolic disorder"....yes, I had it. I had total adrenal (and therefore thyroid) collapse 3 years ago and it was definitely the start. I probably enjoyed a bit of a relaxed attitude to drink before but it was the 'boost' to the energy desperately needed without functioning adrenals that got me occasionally daytime drinking (as in, not just a glass with lunch!)....and a colleague always said it was that, but my guilt and ability to beat myself up wouldn't take that. And I WANTED the blame not the 'incurable disease' AA talked of; if it was MY fault, I could DO something about it. And I have. My adrenals having been sorted out, I came here and have received the absolute best...and now, "Get from sobriety what you went to it for." as she says.

Thanks Lucky for another little boost to my, not complacency - ever, (Dog willing) but my doddery little self-belief....I am sooooh glad I listened to and trusted my inner voice about stopping going to AA and that there had to be something like MWO out there somewhere...I never got that bad but I could see I was going to end up seriously depressed about the 'prognosis' and I can see how suicides could happen.....eeek!

This is a fabulous place! (MWO!)

Love FMS xx
          :heart: c: :heart:
          "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Hi Lucky

I watched the video. I think she made some excellent points (particularly about AA's advice to have lots of sugary things to get over alcohol cravings) though obviously has an agenda so she isn't likely to give AA an objective overview. One thing I am wondering about...

If it's a metabolic disorder and ortho-molecular approaches work, why can't people just take supplements and go back to drinking moderately after ortho-molecular treatment? I thought that some of these programs advise abstinence.

Would appreciate feedback on this. And is MWO considered ortho-molecular? Maybe RJ can comment on this.

Regarding the disorder theory, what about psychological factors?

Comment

Finding My Self;227868 wrote: I loved the, "Why do you invent a disease and not invent a cure?"
              That is very good!

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Thanks Lucky.

I know I have read an awful lot about the connection between, sugars (including white flour, pasta etc) and caffiene and the higher chance of relapsing.
                Again and again I have heard it being referred to as being 'dry drunk', when you quit alchohol, but use sugars and caffiene to stimulate your brain (in almost the same way).

Interestingly, when I was in my teens (before I started drinking) I consumed outrageous amounts of sugar. Cans of coke, whole cups of honey and sugar mixed together, huge bags of sweets and loads of caffiene. I got really fat at around 17 and slowly cut down on the sweets and started drinking.............
                Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Here's a definition of dry drunk from Wikipedia:

Dry drunk is a term used, often disparagingly, by members of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and by substance abuse counselors who subscribe to the AA theory of alcoholism to describe the recovering alcoholic who is no longer drinking but whose thought processes are considered to continue to be distorted by the thought patterns of addiction.

Dry drunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Marcie

Comment

Here's another definition that Lucky will appreciate:

The Dry Drunk
                    Marcie

Comment

Memarcie,
                      The following bit had me cracking up....

'Heaven forbid, I'd better not do my First Step and Admit That I'm Powerless Over Alcohol while I'm in the beer and wine aisle or I might start grabbing bottles and 6-packs.'
                      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Lucky, you and I have always seen eye to eye on this issue. The big difference is you are concise while my verbosity reaches new heights every time I start spewing on about AA. So, in an effort to spare y'all yet another long explanation, citing evidence and offering detailed advice for further research, I will just say it one more time:

AA is a cult. It is one of the outrages of modern science that most "professionals" working with alcoholics have not realised this. Someday it will be debunked and people will look at this era of alcoholic treatment like we look at the crusades or the dark ages.

MWO rules! WE have the power.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

This is good stuff on AA. A few years ago I decided to try AA. It was like entering a depression pit! It seemed that most people there were totally In To having the disease of Alcoholism. They lived their retched stories of the past, ad nauseum. As if you weren't depressed enough when you got there, you certainly were when you left.

Incidently, as many of you probably know, Alcoholism was named a "Disease", so that the medical comunity could step in and charge Health Insurance companies for treatment.

The last thing in the world anyone suffering from alcohol abuse, depression and the like needs is to label them "Hopeless Alcoholics" and be made to "Confess Their Sins" to every person that they ever encountered while drunk! Yes, sometimes a sincere apology is the right thing to do to mend bridges, but each individual should decide who and when.

I am so grateful for RJ and MWO!
                          KateH
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

yeh, if you want to feel powerless and hopeless -- go to AA.

Did I say CULT?
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I agree with KateH. AA and the medical community are incestuously connected with like 98% of all treatment facilities that our insurance companies pay for being based on the 12 faulty steps. It is a conspiracy. Many of you know I like this site:

Orange Papers

It taught be everything I know about despising AA- other than what my heart and gut knew all along. I feel like those that go through the court system to end up in a 12 step program are like an animal being silently confined to the shakles of cage but all have their blinders on. I think it is also like a death sentence for the spirit. Sometimes a death sentence for the body too- AA has a very high suicide rate.

MWO makes so much more sense. It is really basic and we try to complicate it allowing ourselves to stay stuck but it boils down to:

good nutrition
                              good exercise
                              a little bit of sunshine each day on our face
                              supplements to help the cravings
                              new drugs to help the cravings is needed
                              good rest
                              good friends
                              and some fun

I do not remember if RJ included music and massage but that would be part of my prescription too.

And SWEAT- sweating out the toxins in a dry heat sauna. It is like heaven!

Peace to all! And good health!

Comment

Working...
                              X