A Sad Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sad Article

I read this in a newsgroup today. I get an email from them everyday and always for months just delete it straightaway due to overload.

Something stopped me today and i read it and clicked on the link.

What They Don't Tell Us (about alcohol) by Marilyn M. — family, alcoholics, worthless | Gather

A Sad Article

That was a very sad article indeed. I think the main point there is that alcoholics are considered sub-human, while people with any other ailment that keeps them from functioning normally are not. Sad but true, I guess. Alcohlism is still such a stigma that people are not getting the treatment they need. (oh, and I guess the other point is that alcohol is BAD.)
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

A Sad Article

Yes. The thought of that poor man cradling a turtle will stay with me all day.

Comment

A Sad Article

Such a sad story. Thank you for sharing that with us.
        Reading the posts from this site show very caring spiritual people (Avators alone show how many animal lovers). Just like this lady describes her brother maybe this side of ones nature makes you prone to addiction.......
        In life we can live out our dreams its true
        the one who decides,takes chances,makes choices is YOU.

Comment

A Sad Article

I have often wondered that. If as animal lovers we find the world too cruel to cope with and drink to numb what is for us, true horror, of what we see around us.

Comment

A Sad Article

marbella, thanks for sharing that article. Very thought provoking.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

A Sad Article

Thank you Marbella for sharing that article, it was very sad indeed. It will haunt me all day for sure. Living in an area with many lakes, I too have dashed into the middle of the road to save a turtle or a snake. It's not crazy, it should be normal for everyone to care.
              Lori
              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

A Sad Article

Drink driving

I found your thread very moving. I started reading more on websites/links that commentors suggested. I then read this on drink driving: My sister, Maria by Cynthia N. — speech, sister, alcohol | Gather which whilst not the same, was utterly devastating.

Comment

A Sad Article

That is a very moving story and brings the point to bear that "We essentially loose our Rights, when we drink". Sad but true.
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

A Sad Article

It's not so hard for me to imagine how that man got there if he started drinking and drugs so early. I had a real life before alcohol became a problem. I had (still have, thankfully) a family, lovely kids, wonderful husband, good job-- I am forever sorry that I let alcohol take control over me, but I know that I would not be able to be in the place I am-- fighting it, determined to lick it-- if I didn't have such a stable base to start from (and so much to lose, and children to take care of). If you are already in the grips of alcohol before you have much to lose, just think how hard it would be to fight it tooth and nail, as we really must, most of us, if we want to free ourselves from its grip.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

A Sad Article

I have to say that we are the fortunate ones who have "high bottoms" and don't have to fall into the gutter before we are able to seek help and work on breaking our addiction to alcohol. Many are not so fortunate. I, too, would sometimes drink in the morning, or drink all day long if I had the time, but not to the point where I couldn't work or raise my daughter, etc. How fortunate I am!

I was lucky enough to stumble upon MWO one night when I was drinking and feeling desperate almost two years ago. Even with that resource, it took me a year and a half to really start to get my act together. But at least I had hope that someday I would...... Some people don't have that hope and hence they let themselves go completely. It's hard to imagine, but even harder to BE that person. We are the lucky ones!

With love and respect,:h

Kathy
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

A Sad Article

cookinghappy;230418 wrote: I found your thread very moving. I started reading more on websites/links that commentors suggested. I then read this on drink driving: My sister, Maria by Cynthia N. ? speech, sister, alcohol | Gather which whilst not the same, was utterly devastating.
                        OMG. That also made very sobering reading. And a reminder however drunk we may or may not be, never to get behind the wheel after having a drink. Whilst both these articles are entirely different- the message is the same. Alcohol completely screws up, wrecks and in many cases finishes what would otherwise be healthy worthwhile lives.

Comment

A Sad Article

Thank you, Marbella! It only makes my decision to stop even stronger.......

Theresa

Comment

Working...
                          X