Sobriety Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sobriety Tools

Hi Everyone: I don't usually share in this forum, but since it's the most popular one, I thought I share about a thread I just read. It's on p. 2 of the research forum & is titled "Sobriety Tools." It really encapsulates much of the discussion I see on these forums from day to day. From reading it, I feel a real renewed sense of committement to my ongoing sobriety. For me, sobriety means being alcohol-free. I have no ability to moderate & have completely & totally stopped wasting mental energy on thinking of ways to drink wo/falling into the abyss I was in before I came to MWO. I know I'll read that thread again & again, one of the ideas it brings out is to remember realistically what life was like while drinking. Get specific! For me that means remembering:
    -throwing up
    -hangovers
    -paranoia
    -black-outs
    Why would I want to go back there? I think I've had a glimpse of the natural high that I so desperately sought w/alcohol. When I focus on my grandkids' unconditional love, my puppy's adorable antics, or my husband's & kids' appreciation of me, I feel (not quite high) good & whole again.

I'm sober & grateful today. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Sobriety Tools

The thread is actually called "Sobriety Toolkit" by cv1 from Aug. '06. Mary
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Sobriety Tools

geat thread mary
      "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Good stuff Mary and here's the link for others:www.mywayout.org/community/showthread.php?t=5569&referrerid=450
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Sobriety Tools

great thread Mary! I love to read you posts. They are a source of strength and I know, for me, they keep me grounded!

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Thank you Mary! I don't spend enough time in that section as is, and the thread you mentioned (and thanks Beaches for the link) is a great place to start.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Thanks Mary, I'm going to read through it. I'm struggling tonight and I know it will help.

Janet

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Hi Guys, I think its the day, Friday night, I declare the weekend open and all that. I have had a sad face all night, really wanted a glass of wine, had to go to the supermarket, it was torture, just avoided that end and sulked in the car on the way home. I really thought I had nailed the deamon, but no, it's clearly a Friday night mind set for me. Probably a Saturday one too. Haven't really been yearning that much till now, probably was so relieved at feeling better that I was running on that. Anyway thanks retteacher for posting that, a great reminder of why we are here. I am glad I made it through today, but incredably worried at how strong the urge was.
                :lI'd really rather be skiing:H

Comment

Sobriety Tools

SkidRow,

I would not worry about the strength of the urge. That is normal. They will subside over time.

I have the same problems, had them today as a matter of fact but did not give in.

Remember, the urges won't hurt you, giving in will.

Keep up the good work!!

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Throwing up, hangovers, paranoia, blackouts....... ah, that's what we like about drinking. It's so relaxing, so romantic, so rewarding...

Don

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Skid Row - Tonite has been first real crave for me also, and I am close to you at 21 days AF...I am asking Why now? It really isn't a Friday thing because I like Thursdays, Sundays, and Mondays with wine. Tonite what I am noticing different, is a little angst, a little ornery, being tempted to go to the Effing thread, excuse me, Knitting thread. Maybe that is a trigger recognition - that I thought the wine would settle me down - take away the angst so I don't yell at someone or kick something. Its a feeling....a feeling I want to change, but need to find a different way. I know that, stupid, but why don't I go take a bath, do yoga, read.......I remain in the angst waiting for wine to buzz off that feeling.

Is it like that for you?

Happy Trails,
                      GO2Goal
                      "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

Sobriety Tools

Cindi: I love: "the urges won't hurt you, the giving in will." That's priceless. M
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Sobriety Tools

ok, i need to print that out.

thanks!

well, i need to print that. out is redundant. like 2 twins.

Comment

Working...
                          X