Prescribed meds eye-opener for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am totally ignorant of drugs and know very little of all things medical. Well, did I learn something today!!! Am now thinking it`s little wonder that we all react differently to prescribed meds.........what is reputedly the same drug as another, only going under a different name, may well differ considerably in composition.

Started a new anti depressant today.........fluoxetine, which I understand is the generic form of prozac.Well I never!!!........I`ve just learned the difference between the genuine article and the generic..........Generic is required to contain between 85% and 120% of the active ingredient and different companies use different "fillers" in the capsules.......was shocked to learn all this. So, common sense tells me that generic is cheaper.........doesn`t the Gvt. consider my psychological state worthy of "the real deal"???? :H

Starlight Impress x

Ahhh... yes. Very interesting and I did not know any of that! My pharmacist has always subscribed the generic brand of whatever to me. They claim it is more cost efficient than the brand name. Funny, tho, they did subscribe me the real deal when I was on a medical plan through work...................... Go figure. They think I cannot afford to pay the price of the real stuff unless I am on a extended medical plan? Hmmm... p'd off now. Never really thought about it.

My new doctor just gave me a prescription for the medication I have been on since the beginning of August. He actually wrote out the word of the medication. I am going to see if they 'automatically' give me the generic brand this time around. Seeing I am in a different city, I will be going to a different pharmacy. Should be interesting.

Nonetheless, I find the generic brand effective. A very interesting post you have written. I have never thought about it much in the past. I thought it only had to do with the savings of money for the patient and not that it was a different composition.

Comment

AFM, I am not currently in employment, which means I automatically qualify for free prescriptions, so being given the generic brand doesn`t affect my pocket. My doc didn`t even mention prozac.........it was fluoxetine she said, and.........that`s exactly what I got. Gvt. is saving the cash in my case, anyway.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

That just means your psychological state is not as bad as you thought.....less of the active ingredient required....

Comment

You think?????????? :H :H :H

Comment

I guess for those receiving assistance they would give them the generic brand. I know here they would as well. The only time I have ever seen a name brand on any of my pills (mainly for respitory infections - thank you smoking) was when I was on extended health benefits.

I am not on government assistance, so they assume I am working without a medical plan or I am with someone who is working. So they give me the generic brand, which is cheaper for sure.

Interesting enough though about your discoveries. I am honestly floored by it. I feel like I am not worthy of the 'real deal' and that my healthy isn't worth that of those who have plans or are better off financially.

I am going to see what the cost difference is now that you have enlightened me. I want to know how much I am not worth. If it is significant, then OK... but it if is merely a few bucks, then I will be internally pissed off LOL.

Comment

Afraidf this is a bit cynical - but true!!

"Government, the doctor's practice, the County's medical funding, the Patient's Charter, the Primary Health Trust, the pharmacy's targets, the drug reps....(Groan).........OH! Oh, SI!?! Oh, you need something to make you feel better? Really? Oh? Um....well, that'll do...it's all we can afford/have to prescribe to reach our targets.....hope they work love!!"

Actually, they pretty well always do...a bit like most supermarket brans are perfectly adequate in every way....and fluoxetine has been round for so long that it's barely different in any way - you'll be fine on them SI - I just hope they work for you!! You deserve to feel better!

(I so wish we could type your lovely name here in the UK!!! Grrrrrr!!! Wonder if RJ's lovely team could find out the answer??)(To those who wonder what I am on about - SI or even the first 4 letters wont post....??? And SI does not deserve that!!!)
              :heart: c: :heart:
              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

I was prescribed prozac 2 or 3 years ago. Tried to commit suicide on the fluxotine or whatever it is called. Maybe the same wouldn't have happend on prozac. Either way I stopped taking it.
                Marcie

Comment

mm- ok- i am mad you tried to suicide!!!! we need you. casey needs you. do not do that again. those are orders!!!

Comment

it was years ago Lucky, and I haven't thought about it since Star posted this. Don't worry, I'm hear to stay.
                    Marcie

Comment

Prozac made me drink more, eat more and gain weight. Just wanted to give you the heads up on that. Most women drink 1/3 more while on SSRI's but for some reason it doesn't affect men in this way...Go figure.
                      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                      - George Jackson

Comment

I wouldn't worry about getting a generic Star.

What happens is the companies get a patent for a drug and it only lasts so long-- it's exclusive and they profit a lot. then other companies take the recipe and make copies of the drug.

I would always get a generic. Why pay more for a name brand?

Comment

I think everyones body metabolism is different and therefore will act individually to the prescribed drug in question.

I wondered why, when my ex was prescribed fluoxetine, wasn't I prescribed them as well as I was prescribed citalopram. I wondered whether it had something to do with the fact that fluoxetine were more suited genetically to females!.

I understand totally about this Star as when I was on seroxat many years ago. I was prescribed different tablets regularly. My GP would often tell me it was just different packaging or the company was different but the drugs where still the same. Every time I would tell him I felt suicidal or the heebie jeebies returned with devasting effects he would tell me he couldn't understand why I was reacting so badly. He'd always brush off my comments that they were a different tablet altogether to what I was used to. My Gran suffered the same problem with a totally different medication and because of her age the GP thought she was just 'crazy'.

I'm thankful enough to have a great GP at the moment who doesn't bullshit me. He doesn't give a damn about costs etc. He knows Antabuse tablets work for me at the moment and he is well aware of the cost of prescribing them also. But he has no problem continuing to prescribe me the real deal as he knows how committed I am to staying sober. As you can probably guess he is a very sought after GP and appointments are hard to come by!!

I think the key to some of my success does lie with me having such a good GP at the end of the day, who is willing to go that extra mile for the sake of his patients.

Anyway Star I hope the fluoxetine works better for you and the 'heebie jeebies' are kept to a minimum this time around!! You now where I am if you need to talk!!!!!!lol

Love and Happiness as always
                          HIPPIE
                          xx
                          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I am glad you brought this up. It gives us all something to remember. My mother always said be careful... even if it's medicine, it's a chemical.
                            I think everyone has thoughts of suicide... how far we take it and state of mind, depression, etc... can all play a part. Drinking just seems to be a slower form of it in some ways and more entertaining at times and yet more depressing at others.
                            None the less... back to the meds... thanks for bringing that up.
                            Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

"Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall"..........that`s the best thing I`ve read all day, hip. If only we could be as appreciative as little kids sometimes............

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
                              X