Duvet/Comforter types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duvet/Comforter types?

Aaaaaaaagh! Bought one - no good!! How long does a new feather duvet take to 'puff up'?

Advice please?! Desperate! I need to get myself a new 'cover' for my sleeping...or not sleeping as it is now! I know everyone calls them different things but, whatever.... I just am sleeping as if I am lying on tarmac in frost.... Odd (apparently!) but I like a cover that is HEAVY! Something to 'hold me down and safe' but not like the trapped feeling that comes from being 'tucked in by sheets'

What I've got now (two layer polyester duvet and cotton throw) is like lying under a thin sheet!! (Not at all cold - just too light!)

But something new will cost quite a lot (king size) so I would be grateful for some advice on what each different feather/down/polyester weight rating acutally means from experienced users!!! (I know that most folk like light and airy feathers but are there heavy versions out there?)

I'm looking for something that wraps around me (so thin?), is very soft to touch (need softness now!) and is HEAVY to help me feel secure!! Any experience of those really heavy fake-fur throws?

Thanks - I am getting desperate; I go off like a contented baby and start waking a couple of hours later rigid with tension and give up at about 7 and get up to get my aching muscles going...oh, how I long to feel 'safe' and stay relaxed!!! I've tried all the old 'pillow holding' tricks and bolsters and new pillows and hotty bottles and teddies.....(sad!)

I was fine for months after the initial few weeks poor sleep but at over 6 months AF - this is poo!!!!!

Gratefully!!! FMS xx :h
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Duvet/Comforter types?

Oh Finding, this is one of my favourite topics!

I have a thin duvet, covered with a fairly heavy quilted bed throw - I think it's a great combo. BUT for me the crucial bit is the electric blanket underneath me....bliss! And then there's the microwave 'wheatie' bottle for the feet, a heart shaped pillow to cuddle and a variety of different pillows.....heavenly! There's the husband too, but he doesn't have a say in all this as he could sleep on a washing line, lucky devil.........:devil:

I got my quilted throw on-line but I've seen quite nice 'heavyweight' ones in Dunelm.

Suze x
    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

It's amazing isn't it, Suze!! Men and sleep - on the whole anyways..... zonk - gone!! Grrr! I just seem to sleep better with one around though!! But no go there!

Thanks for replying! WHat's/where's Dunelm?!?! (We're a bit 'out-of-it' down'ere!! You may remember!! And even Plymoof is still an 1.5 hours East!! Aaagh!)

Hadn't thought of on-line....thanx. x

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Hi FMS! (finding my sleep!)

I always thought the higher the TOG rating the thicker the Duvet!! Which of course also means, the higher the price!!

Sorry to shatter your illusion that all men can sleep through nuclear invasions etc. but my sleep patterns have always been a problem since I gave up drinking. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours continuous sleep. It has improved slightly over the past week but needless to say it is because I suffer with SAD so although I get the extra hour or so I still feel no better. If anything I would rather have my old sleep patterns back, at least I could still get up in the mornings feeling bright and breezy. I feel lousy most days now because of the SAD.

It never rains, it pours in my bed!!
        Warm hugs from Hippie xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

FMS and Hippie,

Is Melatonin available in the UK? It is actually recommended for SAD and works wonders for me. I MEAN WONDERS!!

I have suffered SAD for years. About mid-Oct, I start taking the melatonin now - 6 mg - and it truly helps. It also helps me fall asleep naturally without any druggy side effects.

Unfortunately, it does not keep me asleep, so I am in the same boat as both of you there. I get 4 - 6 hours of sleep at most. Last night I got 4 1/2 hours.

However, I am NOT suffering from SAD this year and it is because I am taking the melatonin. (I discovered this benefit of melatonin two years ago and it has worked beautifully, my doctor recommended it and it is a lot safer than the SSRIs!!)

Love and Wishes for Quality Sleep, and no SAD.
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

By the way was watching In the night Garden with my daughter the other evening and came to the conclusion that Macca Pacca would be proud of your avatar!
            I'm having to shop online myself to get dolls from this program as most places are already sold out or I have to wait possibly weeks to try and re-order. Can't afford to do that if I want to put the biggest smile on my little girl's face this Xmas!!

Hippie xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Thanks heaps for that information Cindi.

I've got an appointment with my GP today concerning another matter so I will ask about the Melatonin!

Lots of Love Hippie xx

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Thanks Cindi - no, no Melatonin in the UK - dunno how you might fare on prescription Hippie - good luck. A girl friend's hubby brings it back with him when he visits the States...but as I have no trouble falling asleep I don't think it's the thing for me. It's this b***** tension thing...sort of 'holding myself and my invisible man' stuff going on....?!? I need swaddling like a new born! OK - found my Inner Child and we're having a great time together BUT....at night?!?! If the bedding could do the holding for me/(us?) just maybe I/(we?) wouldn't feel the need?!

I just do three nights of blah - Night 1 = a poo night but amazingly I can feel great when I manage to haul my aching bones out of bed and get going. Night 2 = same but I feel rubbish all day. Night 3 = I take a cough med with anti-histamine in it so when I do wake, at least I am so sleepy I go off again. Then I feel OK and it all starts again - but that's not good. Not going for 'sleepers' - not for the sake of a heavy duvet!!!

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you find your doll, Hippie! No better Crimbo prezzy to us grown-ups than 'That Smile' on our kiddie's faces on Crimbo morning, eh?!?

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

I may be shopping for a comforter soon myself! We just bough 2 new mattresses. One for our room and one for the spare room. They should be delivered any day now. I don't know anything about shopping for comforters/duvets, I just buy what looks pretty.
                  Marcie

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Google "the Company Store". I get all of my down comforters, duvet covers, flannel sheets, towels from them (They are in Wisconsin, I think.). Their products are fabulous. Call the 800 number, talk to them about what you want/need. The people on the phone banks are incredible. They often have specials. Also google online coupons, it might take a while, but I found a coupon code for 15% off total bill, with free shipping.

Got my 6 oz. flannel sheets the other day, waiting for my new down comforter. Used to have a feather bed, with a flannel cover. Felt like the princess and the pea. Love getting into bed! Am soooo comfortable, have no trouble sleeping.

Good luck.

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

FMS

Have you tried looking on ebay for some of the aforementioned. We use it a lot and apart from one bad experience it has been really great and a lot cheaper than the shops. It will state whether it is new or second hand and there are a lot of ebay shops

Have you tried Riverpharmacy for the Melatonin, they seem to stock most things

Heres hoping you get a good nights sleep soon

Sweetpea :l x
                      :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Layers of stuff work for me, a good thread count on the sheets to starts than a blanket in summer. In winter flannel sheets are awesome light weight but warm, than a comforter and then a blanket on the foot of the bed you can pull on for really cold days.

Sometimes just getting new bedding is like getting a fresh start.

Sammys

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Another option might be Overstock.com. I have gotten some bedding stuff pretty inexpensively from them.

I also have a qween-sized down featherbed/comforter that I can give you. It does have a couple of little red wine stains on one corner (from the olden days) that I can try to get out. It needs a duvet cover. The only problem would be the cost of shipping it to the UK, which would probably be fairly substantial. I could look into it if you'd like. PM me.

Also, melatonin is usually found in health food stores in the US, it's not a prescription.

Let me know.

Hugs,:l

Kathy
                          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Hi,
                            Just a few month ago I bought a down comforter from a company residing in Hawaii of all places. The quality is absolutely superb. There isn't one pin feather in it. This particular comforter comes in 2 pieces that clip together for winter. In the summer I will take away the heavier one and only use the thin one. I found the two clipped together simply too warm for my personal taste. Here is the link Down Comforters, Pillows and Sleeping Bags from Down Factory.
                            Shipping from Hawaii to southern Ontario was $ 23.00 by US parcel post.
                            Hope this helps.
                            Lori
                            *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Duvet/Comforter types?

Oh guys - you are so kind!! Kathy - I'm so touched! Let me know what you discover?

I am sooooh p'd off..... I bought a duck down duvet (comforter?) today....no help in the store (M&S) as it's Christmas and everyone was serving giftware....but I took ages and checked and cross-checked, felt, lifted, squeezed the demo ones....and got it home and laid it out to 'puff-up' AND IT ISN'T?!?!?! How long should it take? I've got the cover on - thrown it around the room, tussled with it....and it still feels as thin (2cm at most - No... Just checked, ONE cm!?!?) as a 4.5 Tog and it's a 10.5 Tog...s'posedly...(about 5cm in the shop). I got under it ...AND IT'S NOT HEAVY!!! OR COSY!!! I could cry - I am crying! ?65 ($100) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you can't return them....

I so hope it takes a bit of 'use' or something...I haven't had feather for years...only polyester.....

Sorry - don't know what to do now...you know what it's like taking something back they say you can't - I mean, I wont take it back after sleeping in it but many would... - especially at Christmas....sigh.

Thanks - FMS xx

Comment

Working...
                              X