new and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new and scared

:new: and I need help with this and not having a drink today.. today is my day one and i'm very nervous.
    :new:

new and scared

Welcome Quebecer,

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. You have come to the right place. These boards are a great place for encouragement and support. They are also full of really great information on alcohol abuse, how is affects us and what we can do to stop.

I always suggest that you download and read the book, My Way Out, as it is your handbook to stopping drinking. Continue coming back here and read, read, read and post whenever you want to.

Welcome Aboard!
    KateH
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

new and scared

Iam at day 7,and i never thought this day would come,but it did.Just take one day at a time.You can do it!!!
      Jerry17

Comment

new and scared

thank you so much, i'm concerned about the withdrawal. I do not want to get medical help but have been a heavy drinking for many many years, should I be concerned about the cold turkey route?
        Thanks Again, I think this has been my lucky day to find this place

Comment

new and scared

Good for you, for having a "day one" and coming here and asking for help.
          Look under the forum "Need Help ASAP" - the thread at the top talks about withdrawal symptoms. When I did my first AF stint I didn't have much in the way of withdrawals except anxiety and plain old freaking out cuz i didn't know what the hell to do with myself. And I had been drinking a whole lot every single day. It differs for everyone. But you'll find info on that thread, I think, on how concerned you should be.

I got through my first AF day by sleeping to avoid it, once I got home from work. Just let myself be flat out lazy. It wasn't a very restful sleep but for that one day it was easier than watching the seconds tick by and trying to resist cravings.

Good luck, and take care of yourself (like, drink lots of water and think about what a great thing you are doing).
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

new and scared

Bon soir quebecer1960,
            welcome to MWO. This is a wonderful place for you. We are all in the same boat and at various spots on our journey to sobriety. Please read as many posts as you can get into your day and post your story to us. You will find a motley crew from around the globe, ready and willing to help you along and give you all the encouragement that you would want.

As far as withdrawal is concerned, it is hard for me to give you advise, as I do not know anything about you. Human beings are incredibly flexible, but if you feel at any point that you need help, do not hesitate to check yourself into an emergency department or see your family physician, if you can trust him.
            You may be surprised how easy your body adjusts to abstinence.
            Bienvenue and bonne chance.
            Lori
            *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

new and scared

thank you so much... I just got past cocktail hour.. baby steps..so I haven't had a drink for 24 hours and decided to quit today...
              thank you very much

Comment

new and scared

Way to go Quebecer,

you may also want to check out chat in order to pass the time.
                Hugs.Lori
                *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

new and scared

sorry for the newbie questions, but can you chat here?

Comment

new and scared

quebecer,

Withdrawal is different for everyone, with a lot of factors contributing to how tough it is and its affects. Do you have somone that lives with you? Is anyone aware of your stopping drinking? Make sure that you have somone at least checking in on you. I am not trying to frighten you, but it is always a good idea to air on the side of caution.

Good Luck!!
                    KateH
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

new and scared

Welcome

Hi Ya Quebecer1960
                      :welcome:
                      Not sure how much you drink but withdrawals for me usually consist of sweats and shakes. If really serious, then you may need a Dr. Drink lots of water and sweet drinks help, sweet as in cola/lemonade. Get some B vitamins and Muscleeze which is magnesium and calcium in Australia. Vitamin C is also recommended. The booze is such a horrid friend. Am struggling with this Sh*t daily. But do firmly believe we can do it.
                      Cheers
                      Victory

Comment

new and scared

Many many warm welcomes to you quebecer. Definitely read the information on withdrawl on the ASAP forum, but usually the best thing to do is to rest all you can, drink lots of water or other hydrating liquids, find some diversions, and try to relax. Chat is a good way to pass the time at night when you feel like drinking. Just look on the forums page and click on New Chat. Usually at night there is someone there. If not, just hang out there for a while and someone will see you there and join you. It is a great way to meet people and pass time. You'll get some great advice and laugh a lot also.

Please download and read RJ's book (it's very inexpensive) and think about taking some of the supplements - at least Kudzu and L-glutatmine. Come and ask us as many questions as you like. We are always here to help you.

:welcome:
                        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

new and scared

welcome stick with us, this is a great supportive place to be!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X