Sugar cravings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar cravings!

I'm sure this subject has been brought up before but I had one hell of a sugar craving last night - I WANTED ICE CREAM!!! Had to settle for banana chips as no ice cream in house and weather too disgusting to go out and get it. No craving for Al though so I was pretty happy with that. Taking all the supps and L-glut. Will these cravings get better, in your experience? What do others use to subdue them? Really don't want to give in to sugar cravings if I can help it as I suspect, in me, they kick off the Al cravings.

Bessie xx (no cravings this mornings, well apart from the usual one for a whole pot of tea - but then I am English so genetically programmed for it!!)

Sugar cravings!

Hi Bessie,
    I have been struggling with the same issue! Managed to go AF for various stretches.. but sometimes - mostly getting home from work.. just HAVE TO HAVE ICECREAM!!
    The only time i ever overcame it was on atkins diet - in the days when it was new and very unpopular. My health was wondrous and i was AF for almost 6 months without any cravings of any kind. However.. once you fall off the diet is very hard to get back on.
    I am interested in this issue as have health problems related to insulin imbalance and my doc said my liver is fine.. it's my blood sugar that is an issue.
    I ALSO have huge pot of tea each morning.. notice while on atkins and/or other no sugar diets caffine is strictly limited to 1 cup of tea/coffee per day.. which i also found tremendously difficult.
    So!! I will keep checking in to see what answers we come up with.. Thanks so much for starting this thread!!
    Nice to meet you!!

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Hi Bessie (and Fickle)....oh boy...yes...this is a perennial subject LOL :H

From my experience the alcohol and sugar cravings are definitely linked.....and it's best to get rid of both! BUT....I did find that giving up both together was a bit too hard and initially I pigged out on sugar (and wondered why I wasn't losing any weight...:bonkers. After about 3-4 weeks AF I started tailing off the sugar gradually and switched from chocolate to dates/dried apricots. Then I started reducing the amount of the dates/apricots to just one or two bits after each meal. That's where I am at the moment - with the occasional dollop of vegan ice-cream...yum!

If I keep the sugar low the alcohol cravings are almost absent....when I had a bug recently I had massive sugar cravings and gave in to them. Guess what? The alcohol cravings came back. Lesson learned! (didn't give in to those cravings, luckily!)

Really, this whole AF thing for me is not just about not drinking - it has to be about changing other things to find the best health I can. When I am balanced and healthy I don't even think about alcohol...so that's my goal!

If you are just starting out I would say allow yourself the sugar for a while, but as soon as you can try to reduce it, then try to eliminate it. Good Luck

Suze x
      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Bessie;235614 wrote: I'm sure this subject has been brought up before but I had one hell of a sugar craving last night - I WANTED ICE CREAM!!! .........edit.......
        Bessie xx (no cravings this mornings, well apart from the usual one for a whole pot of tea - but then I am English so genetically programmed for it!!)
        Bessie, don't worry - you are a girl - and any fule kno' that girls are genetically programmed to crave ice cream!

Love :l

Satori

XXX
        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Bessie;235614 wrote: I'm sure this subject has been brought up before but I had one hell of a sugar craving last night - I WANTED ICE CREAM!!! .....edit.....Bessie xx (no cravings this mornings, well apart from the usual one for a whole pot of tea - but then I am English so genetically programmed for it!!)
          Don't worry Bessie - you are a girl - any fule kno that girls are genetically programmed to crave Ice Cream!

satori

xxx
          "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Satori.......a Buddhist Molesworth fan!....how fab!!!:H

Hallo birds, hallo sky.... you are an utter weed and could not lift a cucumber....etc etc

Suze x
            Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Sugar cravings!

HA! I wish it were so simple Satori!
              I do not crave anything sweet whatsoever so long as I drink! Never have.
              Was a lolly monster as a kid.. swiftly replaced by cigaretts & alcohol as a teenager.. which produced a sort of permanent disgust for anything sweet.. except alcohol of course!
              Only time I ever rediscover desire for sweet things is when I quit smoking (took a few years) and now attempting to go AF!! (also taking time & several return attempts).
              Then the sweetie craving becomes a ravenous monster (replacing the Alcohol ravenous monster).
              Have read stuff from former AA members about the AA folks describing people who replace Alcohol with sweets or icecream as 'dry drunks' ... along with a lot of negative stuff... which really pissed me off! Like do they even attempt to offer any solutions??
              RJ does offer a lot of things to help counteract these cravings.. but boy! They are still tough for me!
              Bessie, Suze,
              Please be heartened by the fact that if you keep trying.. you will get there! I have done it with cigarettes and I will do it with booze. So will we all.

Just keep swimming.. just keep swimming!
              Love

Comment

Sugar cravings!

OMG.. Suze are you an Aussie?
                I know where Molesworth is!

Comment

Sugar cravings!

slightlysuze;235654 wrote: Satori.......a Buddhist Molesworth fan!....how fab!!!:H

Hallo birds, hallo sky.... you are an utter weed and could not lift a cucumber....etc etc

Suze x

LOL - Let's just say I am er........widely read!

Satori

xxx

Comment

Sugar cravings!

fickle;235658 wrote: HA! I wish it were so simple Satori!
                    I do not crave anything sweet whatsoever so long as I drink! Never have.
                    Was a lolly monster as a kid.. swiftly replaced by cigaretts & alcohol as a teenager.. which produced a sort of permanent disgust for anything sweet.. except alcohol of course!
                    Only time I ever rediscover desire for sweet things is when I quit smoking (took a few years) and now attempting to go AF!! (also taking time & several return attempts).
                    Then the sweetie craving becomes a ravenous monster (replacing the Alcohol ravenous monster).
                    Have read stuff from former AA members about the AA folks describing people who replace Alcohol with sweets or icecream as 'dry drunks' ... along with a lot of negative stuff... which really pissed me off! Like do they even attempt to offer any solutions??
                    RJ does offer a lot of things to help counteract these cravings.. but boy! They are still tough for me!
                    Bessie, Suze,
                    Please be heartened by the fact that if you keep trying.. you will get there! I have done it with cigarettes and I will do it with booze. So will we all.

Just keep swimming.. just keep swimming!
                    Love
                    I know it isn't easy Fickle - I was just attempting to bring a little humour to the proceedings - sorry!

Love

Satori

xxx

Comment

Sugar cravings!

fickle;235659 wrote: OMG.. Suze are you an Aussie?
                      I know where Molesworth is!
                      LOL Fickle......no, I'm a Brit...I have NO IDEA where Molesworth is.........to us he's a snotty-nosed schoolboy character in books by Ronald Searle :H

Nigel Molesworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hehehehehe............................'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'

Suze x

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Suze,

I have been sitting here chuckling at my desk all morning.

I wasn't really thinking much about Molesworth when I replied to Bessie - I just stuck the "as any fule kno" bit on for a laff.

But - you have gone and reminded me about some of the other daft stuff in these books - so I have been chuckling away ever since!

I have therefore decided to modify my wise Buddhist style signature line in honour of you cheering up my day!

Satori

xxx

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Weeping with laughter here at the revised siggie Satori! Going to revisit Molesworth now and chuckle the afternoon away!

Bessie xx

Comment

Sugar cravings!

St Custard's

*wipes tears from eyes*

Suze x

Comment

Sugar cravings!

Wasn't it Fotherington-Thomas's sister who said that 'there are fairies at the bottom of the garden' because she'd seen them?

Comment

Working...
                              X