Talk about a trigger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about a trigger!

So my nine-year-old gets this assignment last week, doesnt give it to me until four days ago. He is in 4th grade, and they have to study their state. I have two older children who also studied their state in the 4th grade, but OOOOOH my goodness, times have changed.

So here is the assignment for my nine-year-old:

For this "take home" project, you will make a three dimensional map of your state that correctly identifies your city and the capital, land elevations, other cities, waterways, which oceans are bordered by your state if any, and which other states. All of this needs to be clearly marked on your map. The map further needs to have certain major rivers, etc (they said specifically). The latitude and longitude for your city and the capital need to be clearly marked with YARN. This map is to be made out of clay. When the map is baked and cooled, paint clearly the differences in, and make a key. Also to be included is a compass. When completed, varnish, let dry.

Okay, like my 9 y/o can do that? I have spent hours on the internet looking this stuff up...first off my printer is broken. So no "scale" of our state to print out.... so I went to gas stations for maps... they would need me to triple the recipe for clay.. way to big. So I finally found a website for "traceable maps" for kids, so I literally held computer paper up to my screen and traced the state (you could make it bigger which I needed, but not too big), and as the screen ended, I would get a new piece of paper and continue where the last one left off. I finally had my "stencil" for this clay model, and then made the clay. I rolled it out, layed the stencil on top, and got a paring knife and carefully cut out the perfect size and shape of my state! Big problem though... I forgot to do that on the cookie sheet instead of the counter. It was stuck to the counter, would not come off without destroying it. So I started over. (first drink) Long, long story short, I finally have a cooked state happily glued to a piece of cardboard with toothpicks marking the major cities. My son learned nothing, but I spent 2 days googling info (the latest was trying to interpret latitude and longitude), and then having to do that with yarn?

So if you see mom's of 4th graders gone mad on the news, you will know where I live. BOY do I know where I live!

okay, rant over.
    P4T
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Talk about a trigger!

oh my!

hope someone else helps you.

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Me also Mother of Year 4 - oh those assignments!!! Who do they think we are, rocket scientists - these teachers do it to get to us, I just know it (teacher paranoia leftover from school still!!!).

C
      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

For those moms doing this crap,

There are actually laws being put into place prohibiting this much homework.

I can't remember who, some Republican of things, said "enough is enough" and said that children in grade school should never have more than an hour's worth of homework per day.

Otherwise, when can they go outside and play, when can they spend time with their parents, and in your case, when can you spend time with your family when you are doing the kid's homework??

I love it.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

I would hire a hit man for the teacher.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Wow! Talk about a workload for a 9 year old. I don't even think we work that hard at work for pete's sake!

Here, our schools don't have homework. The only time a child has homework is when they don't do the in class assignments. So for us parents here, if our kids are coming home with homework we know there is a problem. Either they don't understand the lesson and were too scared to ask for help, or they spent the class time goofing off or doodling.

Have fun.... yikes!

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Oh Prest4time sweetie, I also have a 4th grader. Gulp. Those assignments suck BIG time. Like the science fair projects we have to do each year. The teachers KNOW the kids aren't doing all the work, (any of the work?) yet it gets grander and grander every year. (I have several older kids, so I do have point of reference!). I have seen projects that would put college students to shame-because the parents did them. And the *kid* won the fair, or aced the project, but did they really learn anything? This is a trigger point for me for sure-but a trigger for ranting and raving Anyways-glad your map is baked, cooled, and glued, and that you now know where you live!!!!:H :H
              Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Wow, this seems so unfair.

Any teachers in the house to defend this practice?

seems pretty bad to me as the kids themselves are not learning.
                thumbs down.

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

P4T...I think you should talk to PP (PreciousPinot). I think she has similar experiences. I think you two P's have a lot in common. Good luck!

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Hi Ya pressed, agree with Lushy hit man is good, very, very good. Check this out for dumb, have an art shop and get this, stupid teachers…. Top [as in super expensive private] local school assignment for 10 year olds recently = Must have a 30cm x 30cm board with before and after model of a bushfire. No natural stuff from the garden allowed!!!! WTF???? Aus $25.00 later……… kiddies leave with enough artificial stuff to create before and after bushfire board??? Many parents struggle to pay private school fees believing this will give kiddies a good start. The parents do it anyway so what’s the point? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Glad my children are adults

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Prest4 - I feel for you. I know where your coming from. It's hell on earth when the school do that to you, never mind your child giving it to you at the last minute! Mind you, I did snigger a bit at your story......out of pity and the fact that I've been there.

Victory, don't get me started re private schools. I had my kids at a private "alternative" school. It cost us a fortune and we, as parents, had to contribute to the gardening, building of classrooms, making playgrounds, taking classes in cooking, crafts, etc, making musical instruments (lyres) cleaning the school, etc etc etc. All this while the school term was shortened (even though the parents still pay the same) to let the children have more "at home" time. Phuque! Anyway, rant over.

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Oh god, you're scaring me. My daughter - grade 4 too (eerie how many of us have 4th graders, eh?) has her first major project due Monday. She is saying it's not much to do, but from what I remember from reading the assignment weeks ago is that it is a lot. Unfortunately, I am a serious procrastinator, so we have a lot to do this weekend, I suppose. oy vay.

I hope you at least got a big sense of accomplishment! And congratulating yourself for being sober enough to do all that work!! (just thinking about it makes me crave a bottle)
                        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Bluebell - any chance this was a Waldorf school?? My daughter was in one, sounds very similar, especially the lyres.
                          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Yes MyOwn, I didn't want to name names - but I suppose it was a bit obvious!

Comment

Talk about a trigger!

Thanks so much....
                              I was beginningrto think I had OCD! Maybe I do... but this was INSANE. I'm sorry... but to require a nine year old to COOK a recipe, and make a topographical map....

Oh, and I have to tell you the ending of this all, which led me to drink #2.

My daughter( who is a senior in HS) came in in the midst of our trying to figure out the latitude and longitude map.

She offered to help... and GOD did I need help. So I had the "numbers" for her for two cities, and she "translated" them into Raions?

Anyway... she WROTE on perm marker Raion numbers.... do ya think the teachers will get a wee bit suspicious?
                              If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Working...
                              X