Help with Newsweek story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, all and happy holidays! Speaking of which, Newsweek health reporter Temma Ehrenfeld has been in touch regarding an article she's writing about how to help drinkers successfully navigate the holiday season. It will include party hosting tips and ettiquette ideas for family and friends.

She's asked for our input and I said we'd be happy to contribute. In addition to providing some really great insight, I think it may direct new visitors to our site, especially around the holidays when folks are often in greatest need of support.

No names will be revealed, of course.

Would you be willing to share some of your favorite strategies for surviving the holidays with your abstinence/moderate drinking goals intact? Potential topics might include:

* How to graciously decline alcoholic drinks when offered them at holiday parties
    * Suggestion re: cooking holiday meals without alcohol
    * Suggestions for those who are hosting parties
    * Ideas for gifts in place of wine or spirits
    * Strategies for de-stressing during the holidays
    * Holiday drinking triggers and how to avoid them

Any and all anecdotes are welcome, too (e.g. gifts, comments, an incident, etc.; anything related to the topic)

To read one of Temma's recent health stories, check out the following link. I'm going ask her if it was more fun to research that one than this: Six Reasons to Have Sex Every Week.

Thanks in advance for your input!

RJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Geez, I like the other story better, RJ.

Of course, in my case, since I am out of town all week, there is only one reason to have sex every weekend. I can't have it during the week.

On the serious side, how do you want us to send these anecdotes? Posting or PM'ing?

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

LOL Cindi

Posting here would be best but if you're more comfortable PM'ing me, that's fine, as well. Thank you!

RJ
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

When I have been asked "why are you not drinking" and believe me it DOES happen, I have a couple of answers up my sleeve.

If it is someone I really don't want to deal with: "I have had a terrible stomach virus and it is just not a good idea yet for me to risk it."

If it is a friend of my husband's or a casual acquaintance, "I am on meds and I can't drink any alcohol" or "I am the designated driver tonight."

If it is a good friend, "I have found that when I drink, I don't feel well, so I am cutting it out for now."

If it is my family, "Come on guys, you know why."

Gifts:

I will go ahead and buy my daddy his special brandy for Christmas. 1. I hate it and it is absolutely no temptation. 2. He drinks less than a glass a day.

No one else has ever gotten an alcoholic gift from me and they certainly won't now!!

Food:

I never made alcohol a big part of cooking, except if I was drinking it myself to get through the rigors of cooking, so that is simply not an issue. Beef Stroganoff being one major exception. We will not be serving Beef Stroganoff in my house for many years...

In truth, the biggest trigger is going to be New Year's Eve and even then, I am thinking warm apple cider and cinnamon. My view today is if I will let my grandchildren drink it, then so can I.

These may seem silly but they are true.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Seriously I own a bar and grill and I use I cannot drink everyday of my life. People will laugh and then move on to how is the place et.......

Sammys

Comment

I never offer an excuse. I just politely say no thank you if offered a drink and ask for some seltzer with lime or even a glass of soda. I find that usually no one is rude enough to ask why I am not drinking. If they do, I just say something like it makes me too tired or I don't want a headache in the morning. I find that people are much more health conscious now and not drinking is not that unusual these days and not considered a sign of a problem.
            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

I tell them that drinking makes me fart.

Comment

I agree with Mags.

I am a very health -conscience person and everyone who knows me on a personal level is aware of that. I also have hidden my problem very well because it does not "match" the rest of me. I have never experienced questioning when I decline drinks or stop before others. In fact, I normally get a positive response such as "Good for you to be so disciplined during the holidays" or something similar. There are a gazillion reasons why people say no... and those reasons are becoming more health-friendly by the day. Just blame it on healthy reasons; chances are, you will inspire someone, or make a new friend who shares your passion for healthy living.

P4T
                If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

fuck. i am always drawn to the wackos on the site and helensback has proven it once again.

btw- my girlfriend picks up cats and makes them fart.

Comment

Hi RJ,

As far as choosing non-alcoholic drinks, I do not lie or offer excuses, I just ask for soda water with a twist of lime..(like Mags!), or coffee.

If I am out, I will say that I am driving. This is the Truth!

Gift Ideas.......Chocolate.....so many great chocolate shops...so many choices! Flowers....or Bulb Planting Kits....they flower in about March and are so uplifting!

Holiday destressing.......A nice Aromatherapy Bath, A Bubble Bath while listening to Christmas music. A full body massage, A pedicure. A very self indulgent afternoon nap!

This is very exciting! Good Luck with this, RJ and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

A Very Grateful,
                    KateH
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hi Roberta,
                      You might also want to include tips for those who do not get invited to gatherings and will spend the holiday alone, and therefore get quite gloomy and just want to drink it all away. (If I had some tips I'd share them but I don't.)

That said...
                      I extend to you deep gratitude for your generous spirit and good work here, and for creating and maintaining this forum. The past several months that I have had this forum to connect with has been a true blessing for me.
                      Peace, love and joy to you and yours.

And that goes to all you goofballs out there too, who have and (i hope) will continue to come here to wail, rejoice, offer genuine compassion, and share recipes. I love you all.

:l :l :l
                      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

MWO,

:l :l :l :l

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Had a mate who wouldnt stop asking me if I wanted a drink, he is just a tad overweight too and I said to him that I am not drinking because I bneed to lose weight and he didnt ask me again that night!
                          "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Is it too late to volunteer for the sex article i.e. research? :H

Comment

These are all such good suggestions.

I have adopted a strategy of volunteering to be the designated driver ahead of time. This is kind of like taking antabuse-- you make the decision not to drink when you are rational and determined not to drink. It makes you unable to drink, so even though you may change your mind in the evening, it's too late.
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X