Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bladder/Kidney Infection - Alcohol Related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had a bladder and/or kidney infection that you think or know was caused by excess drinking? I put off going to the dr. for a bladder infection (just so busy, ya know) and then it got really bad and it has turned into a kidney infection.

Not fun... and I'm told can be pretty serious. I'm supposed to stay pretty much in bed for 2-3 days and then really take it easy, or I could end up in the hospital. The dr. never mentioned anything about drinking, but I can't help but wonder if that may have contributed...?

So, just wondering if any of you have had this happen before and did you find out it was due to alcohol?

Thanks for any info you can offer!
    Cheryl

I've had many bladder infections and 1 kidney infection as well. They aren't related to alcohol. I get mine from sex. It was a bit tricky trying to explain why I had one when I was a teenager.

Drink plenty of fluids it helps to flush the bacteria out of your system. Cranberry juice and orange juice have natural acids in them that help as well.
    Marcie

Comment

Well,
      I think drinking definitely CAN lead to a bladder infection initially, and if left untreated, it can lead to kidney infection. Unfortunately, I'm practically an expert in this because I have had so many. Marcie, I've heard that a roll in the hay can cause them as well although mine did not start until after the birth of child #2. (which was result of a roll in the hay) ha. I got a terrible one at some point during the first month after childbirth, and to this day I have to be careful and on the lookout. Drinking sugary drinks is a huge catalyst for it, and especially red wine. One night I had "port" after dinner and within two hours it was burning to pee. When I do have wine, I have to be sure to drink LOTS of water to flush it out of my bladder.

It really needs to be treated with an antibiotic b/c I left mine un-attended once about ten years ago and it landed me in the hospital for four days. Not fun. It was some of the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced second to childbirth.

But some things that REALLY help turn it around in the meantime are cranberry tablets -- take lots of them. If you cant find them, get Cranberry juice "Light" as it has less sugar. Parsley is wonderful in killing bad bacteria in the bladder, so I have garlic/ parsley tablets that I take in conjunction with the cranberry and LOTS of Vitamin C as well. Take those four things and drink tons of water/ cranberry juice and you can possibly knock it out that way alone. And by all means, alcohol definitely aggravates it once started.

Hope this helps!
      If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Thanks Allie, I didn't even know that. I thought dampness(like sitting on cold wet ground) or sex caused them. I guess because that is my experience. I never knew they were caused from drinking.
        Marcie

Comment

Here's some info from WebMD about bladder/kidney infections. They say it is caused by bacteria which is why I never associated it with alcohol.

Urinary Tract Infections in Teens and Adults-Cause
          Marcie

Comment

Gosh I can't believe this was posted. I started with symptoms on Friday and that included mild burning with blood in my urine. I haven't had a bladder infection in 25 years and as I remember it just cleared up on it own. I will say last weekend I had a LOT of sex, then I got my period and now this just as my period is ending, very odd. I guess I'll have to call the Dr tomorrow. I hope you feel better soon MissCheryl, I know it must be hard to be stuck in bed at this time of the year.
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

Mine have all been caused by sex, which is why I haven't had one in a long time
              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

dexterhead;241570 wrote: Mine have all been caused by sex, which is why I haven't had one in a long time
                How very honest of you! And a ditto for me! :H

Comment

MyHeartIsDrenchedInWine;241562 wrote:
                  I will say last weekend I had a LOT of sex.
                  Quit bragging MyHeart! :H
                  Marcie

Comment

No doubt, eh, Marcie! Quit your bragging MyHeart!

Comment

Tee Hee, well the sex was preceded by martinis so now I've confessed and we're even!

Now I remember why they didn't give me antibiotics last time, they said my urine only had blood in it but no bacteria so it was useless to give me them. They still said it was probably from sex though, just the irritation part of it...cystitis, I believe. They never asked me if I had been drinking a lot and I wasn't a big drinker back then.
                      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                      - George Jackson

Comment

memarcie;241202 wrote: I've had many bladder infections and 1 kidney infection as well. They aren't related to alcohol. I get mine from sex. It was a bit tricky trying to explain why I had one when I was a teenager.

Drink plenty of fluids it helps to flush the bacteria out of your system. Cranberry juice and orange juice have natural acids in them that help as well.
                        you sure that wasn't a urinary tract infection? kidney and bladder infections are serious.
                        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Bladder infection is a UTI. I've had them my entire life. Well most of it anyway.
                          Marcie

Comment

Has anyone had a pee-pee problem yet this summer??? I have not.... oke: :fingers: say no more. I used to get them all the time. Only 2 in the last year. I doo think drinking 'can' contribute to a problem there, as force peeing in a hurry has done me damage. :H

Comment

Oh thanks for this post I thought I was the only one with this problem and was dying with shame!! Thanks for all the advise on alternative meds Prest cause there is only so many antibiotics a girl can take, I can't tell you how many times I have been in and out of the Doc's rooms for this... oh the joys of being female!!

But it is interesting that since I have cut back on the AL the infections have dissapeared - food for thought
                              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                              X