Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bladder/Kidney Infection - Alcohol Related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh hang on... the numphies has also dissapeared!!

:bang:bang:bang
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Just to shed a little more light -- I got a KIDNEY infection this past April after a short UTI infection. I had not drank in 4 months .... BUT was on TOPAMAX. Dr. said this drug is VERY VERY VERY hard on the kidneys. Just thought I'd throw that in for all those on topamax.
      AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

If you google "Natural cures for urinary tract infections" you will find a website that claims to cure it in 12 hours with ingredients you either already have or can get at the grocery store. I tried this several years ago and it really worked. (It made medical sense too). Unfortunately, you do have to pay for it.... its like $29.00 and then you download it. (Kind of like the MWO book here). I did exactly what it said, and within four hours I was no longer in pain. I finished the whole day, although it was hard to drink all the stuff you are required to drink, but it is SO worth it.

I recently had yet another bout with a UTI and have lost that download. So I purchased it again and it worked fabulous. I am now incorporating lots of what they have you do into my everyday life because its super healthy anyway, and will prevent future infections.

hope this helps.
        If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

it seems to affect me!

I drank excessive amounts at Reading Festival last year, although I didn't think it was so much as to end up with me being hospitalized. On the last day I developed the back pains and collapsed at Heathrow airport. The paramedics were HORRIBLE and implied it was nothing. Once at the hospital I had blood tests and they went off to decide if I needed to be kept in. Meanwhile I had a rigor which I found terrifying! I was kept in hospital on a drip for 5 days and they said I had a kidney infection. So naturally I link alcohol to kidney infections, and it seems whenever I have a weekend of drinking I develop an infection. For me it is nothing to do with sex.

Comment

no connection kids, unless your drinking compromises your personal hygeine or your immune system.

they are caused by bacteria...most common one e-coli

peace!

Comment

[QUOTE=DeeBee;372676]Oh thanks for this post I thought I was the only one with this problem and was dying with shame!!

Hi All
              A urinary tract infection is an infection that begins in your urinary system. Your urinary system is composed of the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Any part of your urinary system can become infected, but most infections involve the lower urinary tract ? the urethra and the bladder.

Women are at greater risk of developing a urinary tract infection than are men because of anatomical differences!. A urinary tract infection limited to your bladder can be painful. However, serious consequences can occur if it infection spreads to your kidneys. Therfore important to treat.
              DeeBee I have been an RN for nearly 40 yrs and I have seen many many women with UTI never once was there a suggestion that AL was the cause and I dont believe there is anything in the literature to that effect. Perhaps when we are drinking we put ourselves in a position that we dont take care of ourselves properly . i .e wearing damp clothes etc. etc.I got one from swimming pool recently. If not cleared up properly they tend to recur over and over. So girlys no shame here and no boasting either!!!

Comment

Hi ladies,

No UTI's are not CAUSED by alcohol. As others have said, they are caused by bacteria. There is bacteria around all the time, on your skin, in your urinary tract, and, during sex on your dh's penis....sorry, it's true! During sex forces can 'push' bacteria up into our urethra (as women, doesn't seem to happen in men like it does in women). If you don't remember the anatomy of how the urethra connects to the vagina I'm sure you can find a diagram on line. Now, this can actually happen without sex, at any time since our womanly anatomy just allows those little bacteria to move on up very easily. Sex is just the fast train, if you will.

Now, with that said, being dehydrated (i.e. from drinking alcohol!!!!) can CONTRIBUTE to setting yourself up for a UTI, but doesn't cause one. Normally, urine flushes out contaminates (bacteria) in the urethra and the bacteria lose the battle by ending up in the toilet. However, if you are dehydrated and not urinating as much as you should (I know I have had days in the past where it takes all day for me to have to pee) your urinary tract doesn't get the natural 'flushing' it needs. So the bacteria keep on trucking up and in because you have set up the environment for them.

This is also why we women should always make it a point to get up and pee after sex!!! Yes, really!

Now, the daily recommendations for water intake that you see around all the time (eight glasses of some amount) are probably for regular, non-deydrated people so if you are drinking alcohol and losing EXCESS water you need to drink even more each day to get back to the normal level.

So drink up everyone!!!! (Water that is!) and don't forget to pee, pee, pee!

Dove

Comment

There is an over the counter drug, I think it's called Uristat... years ago a doctor told me that one thing that helps is an ice bag on your bladder. Sex can be a contributor... not enough water... also if you are peri menopausal and hormones changing can cause it as well... Also, some medications can create the symptoms of a bladder infection. Good luck. Oh... also you should be sure to empty your bladder before and after sex... and clean up your private parts... wear cotton panties... and ...
                  Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

BUT, excessive drinking certainly can lead to kidney stones....

Comment

Once again, it is the dehydration, leading to concentration of solutes in urine that can lead to kidney stones not the alcohol itself....

Comment

dove;581779 wrote: Once again, it is the dehydration, leading to concentration of solutes in urine that can lead to kidney stones not the alcohol itself....
                        Once again, it is the alcohol that leads to dehydration... which in turn can cause kidney stones. So therefore, alcohol can lead to kidney stones. Right?

So why dispute what I posted? Sure, we can twist the wording and forget that alcohol is the culprit in regards to dehydration....

I have had them and my doctor had said that it was from excessive alcohol. But I guess he is wrong?

Comment

Reading throught this thread again and the penny just dropped -- I haven't had an infection since joining 8 months ago.... whoooohooooo!

I honestly did think that AL and the infections were related -- hubby never had any smypathy for me when I had them because as a rule it would be after a bender, but what you all say makes sense.

Oh and I do still blame AL for my infections as AL always led to S.E.X.... which I haven't had in ages;-(
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I have had numerous bladder infections. I have not had one now for many years. My doctor told me to empty my bladder BEFORE and AFTER sex. So, ladies, be sure to urinate before you go bed, and get up and go again before you go to sleep. I know it is tempting to fall asleep in his arms afterwards, but you need to leave him for one minute and do yourself this one favour and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

Comment

Working...
                            X