my first big night out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first big night out

My girlfriend and I attended a black tie event at a friends house last night. It was a lavish event with live music and two open bars with lots of lavish cocktail options as well as the usual beer and liquor. There wasn't anything in the way of A/F drinks though.

There was no avoiding this party so I went there a little apprehensive about how I would react to everyone drinking and have a grand old time.

We got there early, well before most of the other guests arrived and I ordered myself a sparking water with ice and asked for it in a mixed drink glass with one of those cocktail straws.

As the party got under way a few people I knew casually asked me what it was I was drinking. This was the one thing that I was concerned about. I told a little white lie and said "Vodka Tonic". After a while people who were drinking didn't even bother asking, they didn't care. I kept the same glass all night just having it topped off when it was 1/2 full so people couldn't ask me if I wanted another.

I had honestly thought I would get in and get out early. What happened was that I really started enjoying myself. I socialized with the moderate drinkers and stayed away from the hard core except for the occasional, "hey how's it going".

As the night went on, I felt really good and stayed longer than I thought I'd be able to without feeling uncomfortable.

I guess what I'm tryng to say here in this post is that I was really happy that I could go to a big event with friends and co-workers, not drink and still have a good time. It felt great to be able to have a fun conversation late night whilst not repeating myself and still remember what I had talked about this morning.

I did pay attention to people who were drinking a lot. I wasn't judging them by any means but it felt good to be the one who was not spilling drinks and hugging everyone in sight.

I feel as though this was a big step in being sober and having this under my belt will help stave off any anxiety I may have about nights out and socializing at events like this.

It just feels really good and I actually feel very proud.

That's all,
    mike

my first big night out

Mike: Happy to hear you had a great time without feeling like you had to drink. You are right, attending last night's event AF was a big step. It takes a lot of self control. You proved that you can do it. Keep up the good work! -Reenie
    September 23, 2011

Comment

my first big night out

That's great mike. I had a similar experience recently. But I did find it hard to talk to the people who had a bit too much. (Maybe I saw too much of my former self there?).

Anyway, you should feel very proud. Life is just getting better from here on out.

Thank you for sharing that. I'll try to look at my next one in the same positive light.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

my first big night out

Great positive post, Mike. Well done! You sound really happy and that's so good to see.

Comment

my first big night out

Hi Mike, Sounds like you had a great night! I had a similiar one not long ago. Although I just said I wasn't drinking (it was an afternoon barbecue so it was a bit easier I think) and no one even queried it. A couple of people did ask me twice if I wanted a drink, but not why I wasn't partaking. Good on you.
          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

my first big night out

Well done, Mike!

Comment

my first big night out

great post helps us going AF feel a lot better Thanks
              Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

my first big night out

Onya Mike - got my first Xmas function this weekend - hope I do as well as you mate.

Cheers

Cashy
                "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

my first big night out

awesome mike! that is amazing.i know, that first night out would be scary to me too. but the truth is, you cant avoid friends and life forever.. in the beginning it makes sense to me to get it out of your system, but ya gotta slowly be able to be around friends again and learn how to deal. good job.

Comment

my first big night out

very well done Mike...how did you deal with the smell of booze? that's the thing that gets me now...especially wine. I can smell wine 2 miles away LOL....arg!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

my first big night out

Am so pleased for you in managing to happily remain AF Mike. Shame on the host though for no provision of AF drinks for non-drinkers and designated drivers.

Best thing of all is that you actually enjoyed the event.........shows that AF doesn`t mean misery.........the AF lifestyle rocks and then some!!!

Take a bow........you`re a star!!!
                      Am proud to call you my friend.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

my first big night out

Mike, I am soooo pleased for you! Well done and all that - but I am glad you have experienced and gained the happy confidence in that party+booze does not have to = fun.....party+ no booze = really good fun!!

Here's to you with my lemon flavoured sparkling water too!!! Right beside me as I type!

Love FMS xx
                        :heart: c: :heart:
                        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

my first big night out

Yay for you!!!!!!!!!
                          I know we have a lot of holiday functions coming up, so I hope to model your example.
                          AF since 7/5/2009

Comment

my first big night out

Hi Mike205,

I like the way you said you was not judging anyone, and also not spilling drinks b'cause i always doing that well done!

You have made one BIG step well done again , keep it up!

Love
                            Teardropx
                            family is everything to me

Comment

my first big night out

what a great post Mike!
                              you are abstaining and not judging in the process.

and you didn't have to declare yourself an alcoholic.

perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X