Weepy Momments...tissue please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have times where I am weepy and upset. Although I will not pick up a drink, I am told it is called a WASH which allows feelings out that have been stuffed in for years. Do any of you experience such?

Ripple~:l

Hi Ripple, I know exactly what you mean. Since I have been AF I thought I would be feeling less sad but I walk around my house ready to cry at the slightest thing. I've been chalking it up to the end of a long term relationship, the holidays, trying to stop drinking, etc. I was wondering if it is just emotions that I have numbed for years with alcohol that are finally coming out. Considered doing anti-depressants but I don't think it is actual depression because I get up everyday, go to work, have to do lists that I get accomplished, go to the gym, volunteer, etc. all daily activities get done. Ripple, you describe it perfectly "just weepy". I would love to hear others' experiences.

Comment

Ripple - and Cuckoo...I sure do! And I haven't heard it called that before but it's a great name.....washing it all out. At nearly 7 months I've done a lot of 'washing' and it was pretty 'wet' for the first 5 months I guess.....positively soaking for the first month! I think it depends how much 'stuff' there is backed up as to how long it goes on - in a chunk like this that is, coz I'm not expecting it to stop all together: in fact I hope it doesn't! Life is about living and stuff happens and stuff triggers ever deeper stuff. But we get better at letting it go and 'washing' more appropriately I think.

Stick with it. Get it all out. Don't be alarmed by it; we're just not used to feeling this strongly if we've stuffed it down through booze (or otherwise) for years and years.

And if there are hormones (or lack of!) around.....get ready to buy shares in Kleenex!

It's OK.

Love FMS xx
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Ripple that is one aspect of my life I am working on. Right now I am a "stuffer" then explode. I am working on talking about issues as they come up.
        You are very normal.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Ripple, this reminds me of what a friend told me about a few years ago. She had read about 'cry' therapy and did it, and recommended it to me because i have tons of ancient pain stored inside. She said she allowed herself to cry about something - anything, even a sad movie- and just CRIED her eyes out. She told me she felt like she was going to die, but afterward she felt much relief. The idea is that we ahve stored so much pain inside, and that pain gets physiologically released through tears (which, remember, are nearly identical chemically speaking to ambiotic fluid and the sea). To release the tears is to release pain.

Doesn't matter if you deem the current situation warrants the tears. They come because its necessary. Let it flow - you have the right idea... it is a 'wash'.
          And like above said - once we don't rely on drink to cover it all up we feel so much more. You are doing good. Cry, let it out, and reclaim your life.
          hugs....
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I saw David Beckham on our TV (Parkinson) on Saturday - at the end he got all watery eyed (again!) and my son said, "Does he cry at everything?!"

Well, all I can say is cry away David; you don't drink at all, you're happily married, you're successful, hard-working and talented. You appear so still and centred. You have family all round you at every event. (And you're not bad eye-candy as well....!! )

Perhaps if we'd let our feelings out (or been allowed to of course) earlier, we wouldn't be here at all.....

Group cry?

Love FMS xx
            :heart: c: :heart:
            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Ripple im only 15 days AF and think i have cried more in the last 15 days then i have in all my adult life...great to know im not the only one...that said i have also come to teams with things that happened years ago...on one of my threads someone said al stops the grief you feel so i guess it all comes out when going af...ive cried over things that happened years ago but also feel i have put some closure to them...mind you i also cry over silly things like yesterday i cried because i was cooking a fried egg and the yolk broke,silly i know but after a good cry i feel much better...my fav is having a good cry in the shower i come out and feel really refreshed.cry away girl there will be lots of us crying with you x
              Love
              Jacqui xx
              Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Hello all friends,Day 3 now,god its hard,sleeping sober is a nightmare,i think I have slept for about 3 hours since Sunday!!
                Ive tried this before and failed miserably,but Ive just been told I am possibly in the early stages of liver disease,waiting for scan,I have a lovely 18 month year old daughter,Melissa,and whilst every day at the moment may be be bloody hard on myself,do I need to think what the next 10-20 years will be for like for Melissa with an alcoholic in coherent dad,or more likely,not one at all??
                Res Non Verba--Deeds Not Words!!

Comment

Hi kevc38,
                  i was a heavy drinker and went though all the sweats shakes sleepless nights,but now seems like a very distant memory...and guess what im only on day 15 AF...i found day 4 was really the turning point,its hard as you will feel better but could also get the urge to drink DONT after day 4 you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel,you can do it,for yourself and for your beautiful Melissa...you both deserve a AF happy life keep going and keep posting its so worth it...your family is so worth and most of all You are so worth it
                  Love to all
                  Jacqui xx
                  Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Thanks Jacqui
                    Im so glad i found this site,Ive tried councillors etc,but i cant understand how you can talk to someone who has been trained through a book and never experienced alcoholism itself??
                    Ive tried the local AA and half of them turned up fro meetings drunk!! I last dome 48 days AF then relapsed,but this time,for Melissa,for my girlfriend and for me I must stop forever!!
                    What a time to stop,right before Christmas,but what better a Christmas present than to give to your loved ones,yourself back to them

Kevin
                    xxx

Comment

kevc38, for sleeplessness you can try melatonin and l-tryptophan both are natural sleep aids found in the vitamin section of your pharmacy. see if they help.

Cuckoo

Comment

Actually, kev, melatonin is banned in the UK, as you'll find out if you ask for it in Holland & Barrett like I did! I bought some from an online UK health store and it was shipped very quickly from the States, which is how they get round the ban. I've found it very helpful for sleeplessness.
                        sigpic
                        AF since December 22nd 2008
                        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

getting back to the crying. i am one of those people who very rarely cries. but in the last 2 months I get teary eyed easily. Didn't make the connection here regarding alcohol.
                          I think you guys are right though. I am able to feel more. When I cried drunk it didn't feel like relief, it felt empty, I a bit difficult to explain.

Trix
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Types of tears

There are three very basic types of tears:
                            Basal tears: In healthy mammalian eyes, the cornea is continually kept wet and nourished by basal tears. They lubricate the eye and help to keep it clear of dust. Tear fluid contains water, mucin, lipids, lysozyme, lactoferrin, lipocalin, lacritin, immunoglobulins, glucose, urea, sodium, and potassium. Some of the substances in lacrimal fluid fight against bacterial infection as a part of the immune system.
                            Reflex tears: The second type of tears results from irritation of the eye by foreign particles, or from the presence of irritant substances such as onion vapors, tear gas or pepper spray in the eye's environment. These reflex tears attempt to wash out irritants that may have come into contact with the eye.
                            Crying or weeping (psychic tears): The third category, generally referred to as crying or weeping, is increased lacrimation due to strong emotional stress, depression or physical pain. This practice is not restricted to negative emotions; many people have been known to cry when extremely happy or when they are laughing. In humans, emotional tears can be accompanied by reddening of the face and sobbing ? cough-like, convulsive breathing, sometimes involving spasms of the whole upper body. Tears brought about by emotions have a different chemical make up than those for lubrication. The limbic system is involved in production of basic emotional drives, such as anger, fear, etc. The limbic system, specifically the hypothalamus, also has a degree of control over the autonomic system. The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic system controls the lacrimal glands via the neurotransmitter acetylcholine through both the nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. When these receptors are activated that the lacrimal gland is stimulated to produce tears.[2]
                            Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Also... medication... alcohol... depression... repressed emotions... cleansing of the soul...
                              hormones... and sometimes just a good cry does the body good... ;-)
                              If I need to cry I will listen to something I know will make me cry. If I know I have to do a job or go to a funeral I will cry ahead of time to
                              get it out of my system... then tough it up ahead of time...
                              Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Working...
                              X