How do you roast chestnuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been trying to roast chestnuts. I follow the directions I get of the net that says cut an x in them and bake in oven but they always turn out hard as a rock. I have tried it for 3 or 4 times. Maybe its the chestnuts? bird

yeah it said wrap them in a towel while they are hot and let them sit a few then peel the shell off. bird

Comment

My mother would cook them in an iron frying pan until one side became black. She would also cut an x, to let them breathe. (I suspect they'd explode otherwise, from the steam pressure.) The cooked chestnut didn't come out hard, but not soft either. We'd melt a little butter on each one, yum.
      Mike

Comment

Hello Bird, I have a funny story to tell about this subject... I too didn't know what to do either.. This was long before we had computers, but I did watch a segment on Martha Stewart the year before.. I did remember the part about scoring the X in them... I thought , well I'll try putting them on my woodstove for a half hour .... They were still rock hard, so I then put them in the microwave on high for 15 minutes.... B A N G !!!!! Now we can smell rotten burning coming from the microwave !!! So, now our boys and I will sing , " Chestnuts burning in the microwave "... HAAA !!!! HAAA!!!!
        A word of caution, " don't microwave them for 15 minutes on high"... I sure hope that you learn how to cook them.. They are supposed to be soooo yummy !!! Let us know

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

After reading the post before mine from justatherdrunk, maybe I didn't score them... that was about 10 years ago I think... oopsie !! Maybe that explains the explosion in my microwave !!! or perhaps I didn't score them deep enough, not too sure.

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

I have only made them once but are you sure your oven is on a high enough temp? It should be at 450. Laughing at More2's question. Taking the shells off will make them a little softer and more edible!
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Working...
            X