anyone notice the same thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed something unfortunate about myself and when I drink. Five years go when I didn't have an alcohol problem, when I would go out I would feel soo happy and euphoric when drinking. the buzz was just great. Now I barely feel it. Im sure it all has to do with the effects the alcohol has had on my brain and the stages of the disease I am in. The other HUGE HUGE thing, is that I get slightly happy at first-and in order to maintain that happy feeling, I have to drink very quickly. or take shots. then its there. if I just drink slow, i get more down than normal, and somewhat bored. its so weird. i notice this about myself, and i am 100 percent sure that this is the reason I drink fast. so i chug my drinks in order to feel the "happy euphoria". .. then before I know it Im bad drunk. and wake up going, ah not again. if i slow down, or STOP drinking, my depression is there worse than before i took the first sip. everyones different. my friend drinks about as much as me, but she doesnt usually get stumbly drunk and blackout. i noticed it again last night when trying to drink slow-light beers, how happy she was and ive talked to her about it and she and others have told me "im happy with just a buzz the whole night" if i achieved that "high" from just a buzz, and not feel so down when i dont drink quick, then I dont believe Id have this problem. I suffer from depression, mild depression, but its there. i have that, and i truly believe that it probably has something to do with my depression. but who knows. does anyon else have the same problem?

I just know it is bad for me and unpredictable. Good luck on your journey.

Comment

Me145 - I can totally relate. And I believe it's a symptom of having a problem. We have gotten to the point where we drink because we're addicted, and if we continue on we'll chase that old 'good feeling' until the cows come home ---- until we recognize that something has gone wrong, it's not the same, we have more regrets than highs, and finally we do the very hard work of freeing ourselves from this nasty cycle.

It is sad though, because we remember how good a nice buzz can be, and want to experience that again. But if we go on trying to get it, we destroy our bodies, minds, souls, relationships and self-respect.

So I think it's good that you are being so cognizant of your experience, for such awareness can take you on the journey to freedom.

hugs.......
      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I am the same exact way. I am a beer drinker myself, and I think this is just the simple fact that I drink so much so fast. I am not a big woman, but I can down a 6 pack in 45 minutes, and that is just the appetizer for the day/night. I have noticed in the past six months, it has gotten increasingly worse. I used to be a social drinker who had a lot of fun with my friends; I never drank at home alone. Now that is pretty much what I do. I buy my beer and come home and drink by myself; probably to hide the fact I am drinking so much. But it's weird because I drink in front of my kids. But I know people know. I will call my friend in the morning and say, "You would not believe what happened last night!" And she told me that I called her last night and already told her. I can't believe I am starting to blackout like this. It scares the crap out of me because I have two small children.
        Goal 1: Today
        Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

As an alcoholic, alcohol abuser, alcohol addicted person the brain is so involved in all of this. In a way, that is why I say as in AA I am powerless over alcohol. Once I start I can't stop with one or two. I am powerful in the fact to not take that first drink.

The brain gets addicted. It gets used to the one drink and wants two. It gets used to two and want three. It gets used to three and so on.......................to maybe a blackout which is where the blood vessels get contricted to the brain which causes the brain to not commit to memory what we are doing during that period of time. Scarey huh?

Then when you abstain, no matter how long, the brain will remember the large amount of alcohol it needs to consume to get to the feelings it needs. Since it takes more alcohol to get to that feeling we will tend to guzzle it down to reach that point. The brain is shouting at us "More, faster, I need it now!". Then we are just like a slave to our brain which we are killing by giving into what it wants. OK not literally, but it is harming the brain in many ways.

Drinking gives us a raise in our serotonin levels just like candy, caffeine, and carbs.

I hardly suggest reading up on what alcohol actually does to our bodies.

Comment

Thanks guys, myway woman and Lukalee, you guys have similar experiences. Its funny because my uncle is a complete alcoholic-drinks from the minute he wakes up to the minute he falls asleep, doesnt drive due to all his dwi's, etc. however, he says alcohol makes him happy. it just doesnt do that to me anymore. and its weird bc ive even lesseneed the days i drink. i only drink maybe twice a week now, but i still dont get that good feeling i used to get. but thats what it did to my brain after i became such a heavy drinker. Ok well thanks for your replies.

Comment

Working...
            X