Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering Our Furry Friends!

Hello beloved MWO-ers far and near!

I want to urge (beg, beseech, demand, cajole, browbeat) all of you to go to your local animal shelter and make the biggest donation you can afford. These organizations work long hours (some paid meagerly, some purely volunteer), on a shoestring budget, and rely on OUR DOLLARS to provide food and vet care for helpless, abandoned animals. And so many local veterinarians provide spaying, neutering, and vaccinations at rock-bottom cost, and even euthanasia, when the poor creatures are too sick/weak/unadoptable to continue living.

If you make a donation before Jan 1, you'll even get a nice tax deduction! But most importantly, you'll help our little voiceless four-footers through a cold winter.

And if you're looking for a good pet---why not check out the cages? I'm betting there's a forlorn, mewing kitten or a sad-eyed pup just waiting to be welcomed into your home.

I'm leaving right now to take my check to the Rescue League, even though Mr. Jane has strongly suggested that I just mail it. He knows that whenever I visit the facility, I come home with a new pet!

Give generously...they are God's true innocents.
    Jane Jane

Thanks JJ-

Yes, they are innocent and have no voice. They are dependent on us, just like children. Yet they are treated like possessions, like old furniture when people get tired of them. Like food.

Thank you for the reminder.

People might also want to think about adopting a "discarded" farm animal. There are many sanctuaries around the country.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I second that Jane. And any minute now rescues are going to get inundated with puppies and kittens bought as presents for Christmas without any thought......and guess what? They look cute but they pee and poo and want your company and need walks and goodness knows what else...oh, hell, let's get rid of them.......

I do some voluntary stuff for a rescue in UK and this time of year is so sad. Even sadder was just before Christmas.....when the old dog that has loved his/her family faithfully for 12+ years but now is too slow, wees a bit, losing sight etc is chucked out to make way for that Christmas puppy...........................you'd weep to see the pain in their bewildered old eyes.

The more I've seen of this the more I dislike my own species.

OK...off the soapbox now

Suze x
      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

jane jane,

you are my new bestest friend! and probably janie's too!

xoxoxooxoxoxoooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoooxxxooooooooooooooox xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoxoxo

Comment

Oh, Suze, now I'll cry all night, thinking of those old "useless" discarded dogs! I pray there is a special rotisserie in Hell, for roasting anyone who has been cruel to an animal!

When the girls were little, Mr. Jane took them to rent a few movies for the weekend. They both wanted "Black Beauty" (as they were very much into their Pony Club phase) but Mr. J said, "No way, girls---your mother would have to be hospitalized!" They never got to see "Ole Yeller" either---mama couldn't handle it...

Lucky---remember Mark Twain's great line: "Man is the only species who blushes. Or needs to."
          Jane Jane

Comment

JJ: I am already planning something for the new year ... I am going to the Humane Society, or another rescue organization , to get a pal for my crazy, lonely young kittycat.! I need a young male who can stand up to my crazy guy!
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

did my daughter put you up to this???? she scrapes them off highways and takes pulses,... she revives them takes them to vets... saves them... and is covered with blood... fired from work. puts dead animals on ice til owners show up from vacatiom... yet her whole house is rubbishllllll Love.....J
              I hate to think she got this little zeolot moment from me... am I that OCD about stuff in my life.... ???
              OK.... who just ate the extra blue MM from the bowl.... {:_[

keep the count even please.
              Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Aaaaarrrgh ..... Bloody dolphin park places .... performing seals .... WTF?????

I'll tolerate zoos but I will NEVER tolerate a circus which uses animals.

Comment

I hate Circuses... I agree... I don't think the dears are happy.... how can they be. It's so sad. Tawnyfrog.... We agree...
                  But Darlin' I still can't figure out what a frog is....????
                  Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

This sounds dreadful, I know, but...when the story broke about the escaped tiger at the San Francisco zoo, my first thought was, "You GO, kitty!" It's horrible that the young men got mauled, one fatally, but this is what can happen when we pervert nature by caging these wild free things just so some school kiddies can gape at 'em for a few minutes. Wanna see a tiger, GO TO AFRICA or watch the nature channel on TV! I think zoos are really sad places. I know nature itself can be cruel---"red in tooth and claw" and all that, but...it's NATURE. Jailing an animal whose every genetic memory, every corpuscle wants to be roaming the savannas and plains of its natural habitat...is MEAN.

Uh-ohhh...now I'm upset. The little Janes never were taken to circuses, you can bet!

On a positive note: when I took my check to the shelter yesterday, I committed to volunteering one whole day a week. I've never done so before because I didn't think I could bear the sadness, but these creatures need us! I have also worked up a proposal to our local newspaper about an animal-welfare awareness column, which I'll write free of charge each week, if they agree.

Capt JBean, your daughter and I are soulmates! A year ago I found a tiny just-born kitten on the roadside---probably just hours old---eyes not open, still wet and sticky from birth. My guess is that the poor stray mother cat was trying to move her litter to safety, and this little girlie got left behind. So dehydrated and pitiful---her little mews were mere whispers. She lived in our bathtub in a shoebox (the hall bathroom is the warmest room in the house) and we dropper-fed her until she perked up. My elderly tabby, a grouchy old male, would not accept her, so I found her a wonderful home with an elderly neighbor, who ADORES Baby Cat. BC is a year old now, and you all should see her thick tortoiseshell fur! And talk about spoiled...the cat lives the Life of Riley.

Thanks for letting me ride my hobbyhorse a while...
                    Jane Jane

Comment

Thank-You Jane Jane !!! I too speak for the 4-leggers that don't have a voice
                      When my Gramma passed, she had a nice lump of money for the animal shelter written in her will... People, we can even ask for donations at a funeral to go to the shelter. That is what I will do. Morbid, yes, but most of my very best friends have fur and four legs.
                      When we wanted a cat, we resued one from the shelter. Alley-oop was a mature cat that even to this day is soooo sweet.. As I type right now she is with me

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

This is a website I read about in our local paper. It lists dogs scheduled for euthanasia. I don't know a lot about the site but it is worth checking it if you are considering adopting a dog for a pet.

Dogs In Danger

JJ, I volunteer at our local humane shelter and a Christmas present to myself was a 5 year old dog who's owner was moving to a retirement community and had to relinquish the dog. One thing I have observed working at the shelter is that the dogs that have been in there for a long time get "institutionalized" just like people (quote from the Shawshank Redemption). The kennel becomes their home. We have some dogs that have been at the shelter for > 5 years. It is sad but they do get treated well at the shelter by people that love animals. I'm like you though and have to watch that I don't bring every stray home with me. Thank you very much for promoting this.

Comment

Around here people just drop dogs off near a woods thinking they will fend for themselves. Last Wed. we found a St. Bernard wandering around, 80 Lbs underweight, no fur on his backend and could hardly walk his hips hurt so bad. He has probably been wandering for weeks.

I am happy to say he it now part of my family. Fur growing back already, gaining weight and playing with my other dog as if he is a pup.
                          AF Since December 2006

Comment

Good for you, Jules! :l

Suze x
                            Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Jules congratulations on your new family member. What a find for both of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X