Remembering Our Furry Friends!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't it make you wonder how people can sleep at night with the things they have done to helpless animals???!!! Or how can they live in their own skin... They are a waste of skin !!! God Bless you Jules xxx That dog will be forever grateful to you.

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Jules! My new favorite MWO-er! Please put a photo of your new Big Fuzzy Guy as your avatar soon? You've done the best thing a human being can do, no exaggeration---help the helpless. What did you name him?

A story about those who oh-so-casually dump their "unwanteds" ...a true one. My father was a farmer, a Southern gentleman, a military school grad, and never anything but kind to his wife, farm help, animals, and children. An ol' softie if ever there was one. Well, except one time, about 30 years ago, and GOD I love him for this:

Adjoining our property was the few acres of a rather country-bumpkin man (okay, he was PURE CRACKER) who kept a few horses and mules in an overgrazed, too-small paddock. Daddy felt sorry for the poor bony creatures, especially in winter, so he finally went to see Mr. Cracker and told him, "Look, we have big rolls of extra hay, and you're welcome to whatever your stock can use over the cold season. Just borrow a trailer and come get what you need." Well, needless to say, this guy wasted no time coming to get his freebies. But he made a fatal mistake...

When he arrived, he had in the cab of his pickup a box of squealing, wiggling puppies. Daddy went out to let him into the gate, all smiles and big handshake, and asked about "those fine-looking coon hounds." I was with him, and was already begging to keep one. Mr. Cracker guffawed and replied, "Aw, them dang thangs is headed for the roadside soon's I leave here. That dern bitch I keep whelps 'em out twice a year!"

Daddy (not often at a loss for words) stood stock-still for fully half a minute, then said, "Brother, get out of the truck." Mr. Cracker obligingly tumbled out, whereupon my father cold-cocked him and put him flat on the ground. While Mr. C was writhing in confusion and pain, Daddy pulled out his billfold and peeled out $50.00. He put the bills in Mr. C's hand and said, "You sorry bastard, if you're too God-damned cheap to spay that poor suffering bitch, I'll cover the cost. Get it done. Bring me the receipt so I know you did it. And if I EVER hear that you've done this to another litter, I've got something worse for you in store, you bet your weasel ass. Now go get the damned hay, and leave the pups right here."

I was ten years old, and that day I thought my Daddy was king of the world. I'd never seen him hit anyone (and never did again), but I enjoyed it thoroughly! And we found homes for 4 of the puppies, and kept the other 2. No prize-winners, but very faithful!
      Jane Jane

Comment

Jane jane! Your dad is straight out of a hero story. I don't mean this to sound condescending but do you really all talk like that? I really don't mean to be patronising - but I am from the UK and only hear that sort of talk in movies. Mind you, we do talk like UK films here in the UK countryside sometimes.

I absolutely loved his attitude. What a gent.

All my cats are from the homes - 6 max, now down to 3. My dogs have been the absolute best beasts ever - all from rescue homes bar the Border Terriers. Paid for my horse but I'm not brave or knowledgeable enough to get a rescue horse. And my boy will end his days in our pastures. He's never to be sold on.

Each Christmas I get a card from the local rescue we have used a lot and always send a cheque in return. Haven' thought about volunteering but will now.

BEssie xx

Comment

Jane Jane - I so agree.....BUT!!! Although I so wish I could go get a dog from our shelter, my landlady wont allow it, so we have our darling two 'fancy rats' and she can stick it!!

The BUT?!?!?! My uncle died 5 years ago....he was wealthy but we had no idea how wealthy....he left ?2.5 million ................to animal charities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! The LOT!!

That do??! :H (:upset: ) !!!

(And if I had my own home I could give a few pets a home!!!)

Yet one day I WILL!

Good on you.....great thread!

Love (and various pats and strokes!) FMS xx
          :heart: c: :heart:
          "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

OK there is my big boy. We call him Moose. We tried to do the right thing by trying to find the owners but if we would have got a response, we were going to ask LOTS of questions. But know one called ( thank goodness) I was going to rip someone. How and why is this dog in this condition!!!

First day we thought that he had been hit by a car, back end raw and couldn't hardly walk but we found out that he had fleas and an allergy to them and his hips were just sore from walking for weeks in the cold. Unbelievable turnaround in 1 week. Happy and healthy and gaining weight.

Only problem we had was even though we live in a big farm house, he is so big that I had to move things up higher so when playtime started, thing didn't go flying LOL
            AF Since December 2006

Comment

I, too, get furious at the ignorance and cruelty of people who treat animals like they are things and not living beings.

I got the first dog that I owned by hitting it with my car.:wow: I didn't mean to, of course, but she came charging out on the highway, and I didn't have time to stop. I was only about 19. She clearly had been a stray for a while, because she was skinny, stinky and cold. I loaded her into my car and took her home. The vet said that if the dog hadn't died already, she probably wouldn't, and to give her a big spoon of hard liquor to dull any pain (it was Sunday). Well, she turned out to be the best dog with a super personality. I named her Cleo. She only had some bad bruises from being hit by a car at 55mph!

I have a kitty now named Kiki, who I adoped a few years ago at age 11. Two of my other cats were feral, but they were captured and tamed before 6 months old. They turned into terrific pets. My only complaint is that Tootsie doesn't seem to know where her claws end and I begin. The others seem to know that.:H

I cannot understand people that can't relate to animals. I find it hard to relate to these people!

JaneJane, your father sounds like a gem of a man. He has the right priorities!

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Jules! I'm in love! I have such a soft spot for big guys...those chocolate eyes! Don't you know he goes to sleep each night thinking he's in Heaven with your family.

Young at Heart, I had to laugh about Tootsie and those claws. She's probably just showing her undying affection...
                Jane Jane

Comment

Do not ever get me near an animal abuser. I swear I could kill. And would be proud.

Comment

Bessie, yep folks around here really do talk like that, if they are not transplanted yankees! LOL Love it Jane Jane!!

My kitty is going to be 17 years old, she's so sweet, got her from forgotten felines with her sister who died a couple years ago.
                    The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Awwwwwwww

You guys are making me so sad.

We have rescued almost all of our pets. My avatar is of Hans, who is STILL the love of my life.

I think that anyone who could hurt an animal is very sick. I wish Michael Vicks (sp?) could spend much more time in jail, then spend the rest of his life lecturing on the subject. We have people around here (I am in the South but not born here) who do the chicken fight stuff. It makes me SICK.

OK, enough of my rants...

Comment

Jane Jane, I'd be proud of my Dad too !!! That is an amazing story.. I can see that you a chip off the old block as they say, Or ... an apple doesn't fall far from the tree either...
                        Thanks for sharing the picture Jules.. What a handsome fella

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

He looks like a hans!

A good doggy is better than a good man. And cheaper!

Comment

Working...
                          X