The 2 possible outcomes of a slip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star and Hippie, I wish us all the best for 08. Star I thank you for sharing your journey so openly with everyone. You will succeed in whatever you put your mind too.
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Fantastic Stuff

AM.

This is an incredible leap forward. I am SOOOO proud of you. You can tell people about this moment, but until you experience it for yourself you don't know how it really feels.

I am a non-drinker.
      I used to drink a lot.
      I don't want to drink - ever.

And not just saying, meaning it.

Starlight Impress;248236 wrote: I think my big mistake was that I never actually moved on from the quit.........I was still kind of foolishly congratulating myself for having managed to quit in the first place. I made quite a few life-changing plans when I quit, only.........I have yet to follow any of those through. I just quit........full stop........I didn`t really start to sort out my life at all.........I have just been ambling along with no proper direction.

I now know that the foolproof plan for me to stay sober is to pull out all the stops to improve all areas of my life that need improving. In one respect, I am glad I drank last night.........I drank a btl/wine last night........woke up this morning and realized that the wine did nothing for me.........everything in my life is just as it was before I drank. I just needed to do it to reaffirm that I do not at all want drink in my life. Overnight, I have become a non-drinker..........I am no longer just a drinker who isn`t drinking. x
      It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Star,

Great post and good for you.

For myself I have realized it cannot be about the number of "AF days" I chalk up, it must be how I wrap my mind around it. And Boy oh boy it is WAY, WAY hard. I think we can get caught up too much in the process and the reward being 10 days; 30 day;.....and (to me) that is not what really counts; what I want is true freedom and peace, and I truly hope you find it.

Congrats to you, because it sounds like you are really getting there. I would not look at this as a slip at all...not at all...it is a redefining moment.....that seem to have only made you much stronger.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense at all, but I enjoyed reading your posts and wanted to say that I think you are adding so much for those of us still find the right direction. I wish I could help you more.

GO

Comment

I'm glad to have read your post Star! I agree with everything you have said. I too had a slip up the other night and it does make you appreciate your sobriety. the bottle of wine I guzzled quietly did nothing for me except create guilt and a rotten head the next day. funnily enough, it also made me feel that old depression again. today I am in control of things again. I hate, hate hate drinking!!!!!!

It is sooooo good to have people here who understand and go through the issues with alcohol that I go through. I really don't feel so alone. thankyou for your wonderful honesty Star.....You really are a STAR! Bella xxx

Comment

I am impressed, Starlight Empress!!!!

You have an eloquent demeanor about you that is so impressive. It is like anything that we try to overcome, it is not easy. I agree with you that we must look inside ourselves, and then perhaps we will find the answer.

I love reading about your successes, it helps me. Thank you!!!

Comment

:l

As others have said, " you are a star"-still shining.

:l
              Enough is enough

Comment

yea

I am a newbie and I am thankful for your words. I am going to be AF period. I am making a commitment to myself - not to be a drinker not drinking, but an AF woman - strong and positive! Here's to a great 08

Comment

Starlight,
                  What you've shared here has had a great impact on me. I woke often last night thinking about it... the difference in being a drinker who is going AF, and simply being one who does not drink. I choose the latter mindset, and I'm sure it will benefit me much in my success.
                  Thank you.
                  FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

S,

Only just seen this - have been away from 'puter a lot recently.

This was not a slip - it was just confirmation .

You continue to inspire us all...

Love :l

Satori

xxx
                    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Hippie!

WTF

Even I didn't do the Tennant's extra strength stuff - AND Mushies as well???? EEK!:wow:

Get back on that AF horse and ride off into the sunset to a happy ending!
                      Remember that gorgeous little daughter of yours!

Take care mate

Satori
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

KateH1;248243 wrote: Wise words from a very wise woman.........I am printing and posting this part of your post on my mirror! Wow.....Star, your words really hit home for me! Thank you, my friend.

Love,
                        KateH
                        this is one of the most beautiful and helpful things i've read on this board! Thanks you so very much!

Comment

Starlight Impress;248236 wrote: The way I see it, any slip has 2 possible outcomes........the slip will either cause us to completely blow our sobriety and carry on drinking, or.........the slip will be a lesson we had to learn first hand and will cause us to cherish our sobriety all the more.

I think my big mistake was that I never actually moved on from the quit.........I was still kind of foolishly congratulating myself for having managed to quit in the first place. I made quite a few life-changing plans when I quit, only.........I have yet to follow any of those through. I just quit........full stop........I didn`t really start to sort out my life at all.........I have just been ambling along with no proper direction.

I now know that the foolproof plan for me to stay sober is to pull out all the stops to improve all areas of my life that need improving. Overnight, I have become a non-drinker..........I am no longer just a drinker who isn`t drinking.

In a way, this has been a good experience for me.........I now need to progress from the act of quitting and move on with my life.

Starlight Impress x
                          Star...great thread...i thought about this a lot the past night and realize that i am in the same boat...Oh, i can quit...but i can start again.....

i too planned all these changes in my lifestyle.....almost to the point of being a damn hypocrite....not following through except when i felt extremely guilty....

you are right quitting or moderating isn't enough...there are a lot of other things in my life that go along with this....i am choosing to control my drinking as i am choosing to recycle, build and use my compost, go to the gym regularly, etc....

saying that i quit or am moderating isn't enough, i really need to accept and institute the way of life that i want....

thanks again Star for the enlightenment...
                          -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

WoW, Thanks for sharing this with us star! you are inspiration to me and it is a honour to have to here.

Hippie: I once said to someone in my pm that i admire you Reading your posts you have come a very long way. Dont let one slip ruin it. Get back-up and read through your post.

Love

Teardrop.xx
                            family is everything to me

Comment

Great thread Star and please keep us posted as to your progress. You are in my thoughts and prays. I was able to make my AF Day 1 count tonight and feel great. I really hope that I will be able to beat this awful thing and in the mean time be able to work out the quarks in my life. Thanks for the message!

Big hugs,
                              Janet
                              AF Since May 2nd 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X