Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topiramate in Australia

Hi Everyone,

I am on day 2 - it is night time and I am sober - Yay! I have just ordered the Starter Pack from the on-line shop and am now reading the My Way Out book which is saying you need a prescription for this drug. Does the program work without it? I am not keen on telling my doctor about my drinking problem and would rather do it on my own. If I have to go see the doctor, I was wondering if there is anyone in Australia who has got the prescription from their doctor and were there any problems - the USA and Australia would obviously have different laws on these drugs. I am now concerned that I have to FACE my Dr when I thought that this program was about keeping it private.

I know eventually I may tell people but I am just not strong enough yet - I know that the Dr can't blab so to speak but I am a person who constantly worries about what people think and will find it hard to talk to her about it.

I am overweight and the weight loss benefits would obviously make me feel better.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated - I feel scared at the prospect of seeing my Dr and having it recorded on my file - but if I have to, I will. Please help

Topiramate in Australia

Hi Turtle Dove!

Welcome! I've never asked about Topa, so I really can't help you with that, but I have certainly talked to my Dr about it (over many years and different methods). The one that worked for me, that my Dr was MORE than happy to prescribe was Campral.

It's probably better to focus solely on the drinking at the moment and not give any thought to losing weight - both are a full time job and deserve all your energy seperately.

Can I suggest that you look in the Campral/topa etc thread ? there's LOTS of discussion on the various drugs and you may find the answer to your question there.

Good luck, keep coming back!
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Topiramate in Australia

Thanks Flip. I think I might just use the vitamins for now, plus I have ordered the CD's - I am afraid it won't be enough but will see how I go. I know the weight will come off as I go further along in my AF days as the weight wasn't there before the excessive alcohol was - I get impatient and because of my weight I truly hate looking in the mirror but I will try to put that aside for now as too many changes at once can only lead to problems. Having an addictive personality it is so easy to overeat but once I feel better in myself I hope that my eating will improve without a huge effort. Lets just get rid of the massive amounts of sugar I consume in the form of wine! That's gotta do something on it's own.

Hey look it's 9.45pm and I am still awake. Amazing! Tonight, I actually did some cleaning up and feel great about it - others may think, cleaning, who cares, but it makes me feel better because a clean house makes my mind feel more organised - sounds weird but that's me the addictive perfectionist - strange combo. Or is it? Now I am rambling so am going to make a cup of tea - just one - funny how I don't drink more than 1 of those .

Will post tomorrow - day 3. Weekend coming up.

Comment

Topiramate in Australia

:-) You won't believe how many people CLEAN when they first stop drinking! It's like you are not only cleaning your house, but cleaning your life at the same time. the other thing we all notice is the extra time we have! Time for a new hobby!

You may find that the drink and the food are all part of the same issues. Hence, working on the most important one (drink) you may well tackle the food issues incedentatlly.

Ps: if you don't like looking in the mirror, don't!
        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Topiramate in Australia

Great idea Flip. If you don't like looking in the mirror, don't. Love it. After I started gaining so much weight, I made a comment about what my hubby must think. My best friend just said "Don't tell him and he won't know".

Comment

Topiramate in Australia

I Love that Myra.

Comment

Working...
            X