Fallen already on a month AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said i would go AF for jan , how wrong to think i could, i managed just 3 days im so down and dissapointed with myself. sitting here with a beer, think its a weekend thing or is that an excuse, in reality ive just no willpower when it comes to alcohol, am i the first to fall after just 3 days. :upset: what do i do now wait till feb to try again or just give up? will open my wine now as im so fed up with myself.

Oh God WJR , you've got nothing on me, I planned AFJanuary and I haven't managed one DAY yet ... more later
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

wjr23, Stop Stop Stop Beating yourself up. If all of us did that when we failed our first time, or second, third, fourth ........ we would'nt be here with each other. Get on the ODAT thread, and use the drink tracker. Someone once told me if you spill ketcup on yourself you don't pick up the bottle and pour the whole thing on you. Call this a slip up and keep trying. This will be my first AF as well as that seems to be the hardest for all of us. Stay positive, keep reading and posting.

Comment

The worst thing to do is wallow in the fall. Get right back in the game.

All the best-

Comment

Hi wjr23,

Dont feel so bad about yourself....its not all about willpower, its about breaking habits and yes i agree that it is a weekend thing. If cracking open a beer or starting on that bottle of wine is something that youve always done on a friday night then of course its gonna be hard to stop it.
          When i first tried to abstain my worst thing was going to the gym....sounds stupid i know, but in the past i had always rewarded myself after a really good workout with alcohol....completely defeating the object!! That was such a hard habit to break and allthough iv been AF since new years eve its still hard as iv just started going to the gym again...old habits die hard.
          Have patience with yourself....dont beat yourself up, tomorrow is a new day...just take it from there and see how you go.

Lou-Lou x x x
          "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

wjr23,

Pick yourself back up and try again - don't give up. Sometimes it takes baby steps, and lots of them. Keep posting too.

pixie
            AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

dont beat youself up...we have all been there...the biggest gift is that tomorrow is a new day...start again and make a new plan...blessinhgs , buckle

Comment

Hi there No 23,
                Geez, why are you beating yourself? You've managed 3 days, and it's only the morning of the 5th Jan here in Australia, probably still the 4th where you are. So that means you've only slipped up one day.
                You have the rest of the month ahead of you!!
                Don't give in to your ego. Why are you fed up with yourself? How come you aren't happy and proud with your 3-4 days AF? Why wait till February... you've already made a great start already, so stay with it. I've gone on and off AF a lot since joining MWO, and yes, it has been very hard for me, but it really is getting easier, but I find I have to always be vigilant and not take the easier way out and succumb to my drinking habit (of over 30 years).
                You really can do this. Believe in yourself. Believe in your ability. It is your attitude that will conquer this. Start to work out strategies to help yourself hold off drinking for an extra hour, two hours. As drinking is an unpleasant experience, make not drinking fun!!!
                My drinking never gave me any lasting satisfaction, no matter how much I drank. It just spiralled me into the sort of despair I think you are feeling at the moment.
                Try not to attach any importance to drinking........"treat it like buter", to quote RJ. That is a big and important step.
                Oops, I better stop lecturing.
                Please, allow your strength of will to regain it's power.
                Be gentle and kind to yourself.

Comment

wjr23,

Also remember, this is not a race, or an all or nothing thing at this point. It is simply trying every day to do the right thing. ODAT. Remember?

So, a slip is a slip is a slip and the next day is ODAT. It really is important to just jump back on the AF train. Otherwise, you just keep going down the path you want to get off.

Strength to you,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

WJR, you have done better than most this year ........ I promise ....

I would imagine that you can't promise tomorrow or sunday but will try AF monday?????

Do the best that you can do for yourself,,,,

BB xx
                    sigpicXXX

Comment

Hey wjr - I hope you haven't opened the wine; it'll just make you feel even more poo in the morning.....chuck it away if you have.....

No one at all has anything except cravings on day 3-4......days 2-3 = ok....then, wham.....and just about all of us have mucked up about then.

Back on the horse...even this slip will be seeing less alcohol in your system....wash it out with loads of water.....and start again.....ODAT (one day at a time..yes?)

You've got a great plan and just had a wee dress rehearsal....now for the perfomance....

Go for it!
                      FMS xx
                      :heart: c: :heart:
                      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

23, just get right back on track, go day by day or ODAT. We all fall, but need to get back up. You are doing better than me for sure this year. I have only had 2 separate AF days, but won't stop trying. Each day AF counts!

Winefree (tonight)!

Comment

Ah... broken promises!
                          It happens to the best of us.

I have joined periodic AF challenges only to see all the members drop off and succumb. Or I disappointed myself and couldn't make it. I don't sign up for those things, pledge months etc., much anymore. And if I do make a plan I try not to tell people about it. The last thing I signed up for and failed to follow through with was drunk free december. Granted, there were only a few drunk days but let's face it, it was'nt drunk free!

Honestly, every single step you take is important. 3 days are important. next time it might be 6 or even 7. The fact that you didn't make a month does not diminish that.

My advice is to focus on one day at a time, maybe visit the one day at a time thread that takes place every day. Be glad about every little bit of progress. If you do set targets, they should be measurable and achieveable. given how hard drinking is to beat, and differences in patterns, it might be an achievement to start drinking later and later
                          every day to cut back.

So don't give up and don't wait for another month. A new day starts tomorrow and you
                          will be right back on track. The little changes will all start to add up and before long, you may feel this transformation taking place inside yourself. I feel it sometimes and have seen it in others visiting this website over time.

Comment

Ha 23, no big deal so you fell off the wagon.(we all do). It's not about will power, it's about breaking old habits & fighting addictions.(none of which are easy). So you fell, don't beat yourself up, instead pick yourself up, & continue from were you left off. O YA, 3 days :goodjob: maybe next try will be 4,5 or who no's how many.Whats important is you keep trying.
                            Good luck & don't give up.

K.F.
                            There's more to life than success. The greatest success is living well.

Comment

Nancy,
                              I like your post. I too once signed myself up for an abs thing and didnt make it. So I retreated. I was honest, and felt scolded. Its hard enough as it is. But I love reading them and am always inspired. I have grown leaps and bounds, so there is always a progression on my chart. My chart is just different. It always shows progress, because I have made nothing but progress. And I love the way we have the freedom to make it.

P4T
                              If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Working...
                              X