Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas for alternatives to grabbing a drink

Hi again all,
    Anyone have ideas for a QUICK alternative to pouring a drink or grabbing a beer? I find I start drinking just to relax - when I just want a quick way to relax and do nothing. It seems there is nothing I have found that sends that wave of relief throughout my body like the first sip. Most times I drink because I don't want to DO anything more because I am so busy in the rest of my life. Even hobbies or drawing a bath seem like a chore at these times and alcohol is the quickest fix I can find. Then I don't stop drinking unless I fall asleep. I've been doing okay in the sense that I have only had a couple REALLY hungover days in the past month but I am still getting drunk on a regular basis - it's just one bottle of wine instead of two moving on to three and that is still too much I know. I know that stopping starts with not starting. I know I just need to break the habit but am not having much luck.
    Sometimes I feel like I drink so I CAN'T do anything else. Like it is the only way I allow myself to stop working.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dove

hi Dove I use exercise as an alternative. I also found that having teas specially green tea is a nice way to relax. I saw this woman on the train last night who was knitting and she l;ooked so serene amidst all the noise, it gave me an idea. Knitting would be an excellent way to keep ones hands busy.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Close yourself in a room. Take deep breaths. Talk yourself into being calm. Tell yourself everything will be okay and that you can do this. Remember, "You are what you think". Think calm, peacful, in control. Drink tea, pick up juicy book. It takes lots of practice to calm yourself, but try to do it. Write your worries and fears down on paper. Do a jigzaw puzzle. Look through photo albums. Straighten our your dresser drawers. Do anything you can think of that you enjoy that will bring you peace.
      September 23, 2011

Comment

Sounds like you need to get out for a walk in the fresh air... Allow all those wonderful endorphens to kick in and give you a healthy, natural "high".... Hit the gym, do something physical... I like to crochet to relax.. Some people enjoy cooking.... there are literally TONS of volunteer jobs needed.... take your dog for a walk... that is if you have one Take up an old hobby.. What was it you used to enjoy doing? (and don't say drinking !!!) ha!! haa !!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

I agree with all the above, but I also would look into getting some L-glutamine it worked wonders for me. I put it right under my tounge and it would quash the wanting. I highly recommend it along with the other sups.

It is as hard to break the habits as it is to stop the need. Sounds like you are doing some good, so just don't quit. No matter what don't quit. Eventually you will overcome this.

God Bless
          bear
          What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
          ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Well there are tons of teas out there that have herbs & stuff in them that help you relax. At night I like a cup of sleepytime tea with valerian...but thats only good for night time when its time to crash. Other times its mainly green tea or even coffee (who says you can't be wide awake and relaxed at the same time).

Anyway theres somethign about a nice hot cup of something in a quiet setting thats relaxing. Its especially nice when reflecting on the AF day you just had, or posting on this board, or both!

Comment

I recommend first and foremost not having anything to grab...

Then I have wonderful alternatives such as ice tea, hot teas or sparkeling water with lime. Exercise if I have energy, or a hot bath if I don't. If all else fails, I will make some popcorn and put on a movie to distract myself. In the end, I find just going to bed is a good last resort.. Tomorrow is a new day and then you have another one in the bag..

Good luck.. you will do it fine. Be kind to yourself and do something that YOU enjoy.

Namaste,

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Dove, have you tried the AF beers? The European ones are good- I realize it doesn't break the habit, but I really like the taste.
                Another idea: Create a couple of AF options and have them already prepared. Look forward to drinking water (and please don't say, "I hate water.... Fish f*ck in it!" ).... anyway, add twists of citrus, maybe add mint leaves with Equal or Splenda (virgin Mojito) ? Instead of hot tea, how about brewing some iced tea? How about a splash of orange juice with club soda. How about a juicer? How about a vanilla yogurt/fresh fruit smoothie?

Patty
                Tampa, FL

Comment

Good ideas

moving

Comment

Working...
                  X