Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical confidentiality issues ???

oh crap, i'm still confused ...
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Doctors basically try to follow the rules but they can and do break them on a regular basis. Just a heads up, live yourlife and do your best : )

((((HUGS))))
      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
      - George Jackson

Comment

Trust NOBODY. Pay cash for any alcohol-related treatments. Better safe than sorry. My brother is an ob-gyn at a big hospital here in the USA, and he says that even the ladies that work the switchboard can figure out how to get access to "confidential" info, and pass it along to their friends. HPPA is a joke---if it's documented, somebody can access it. When your GP asks how much you drink, LIE like a rug and say "moderately/socially."
        Jane Jane

Comment

This is also also an issue if you attempt to adopt a child. In any instance where you "have" to release your records. Another example is where you would be subjected to young children.
          Fran15
          "You never know what you can do until you have to do it."
          Betty Ford

Comment

Yeah , Janne jane. no kidding. That's how it works.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

medical information

I read that if you apply for private insurance your info may be included in the Medical Information Bureau and this may be accessible by various organizations.

I found this online:

Medical Records Privacy

. The Medical Information Bureau (MIB) is a central database of medical information shared by insurance companies. Approximately 15 million Americans and Canadians are on file in the MIB's computers. About 600 insurance firms use the services of the MIB primarily to obtain information about life insurance and individual health insurance policy applicants.When you apply for life or health insurance as an individual, you are likely to be asked to provide information about your health. Sometimes you are required to be examined by a doctor and/or to have your blood and urine tested. If you have medical conditions that insurance companies consider significant, the insurance company will report that information to the MIB.The information contained in a typical MIB record is limited to codes for specific medical conditions and lifestyle choices. Examples include codes to indicate high blood pressure, asthma, diabetes, or depression. A code can signify participation in high-risk sports such as skydiving. A file would also include a code to indicate that the individual smokes cigarettes. The MIB uses 230 such codes.It's important to remember the following about the MIB:

The MIB is not subject to HIPAA.MIB files do not include the totality of one's medical records as held by your health care provider. Rather it consists of codes signifying certain health conditions.
              A decision on whether to insure you is not supposed to be based solely on the MIB report.
              The MIB is a consumer reporting agency subject to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). If you are denied insurance based on an MIB report, you are entitled to certain rights under the FCRA, including the ability to obtain a free report and the right to have erroneous information corrected. See the Federal Trade Commission's web site on insurance decisions, www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/insurers.htm.
              The MIB does not have a file on everyone. But if you have an MIB file, you will want to be sure it is correct. You can obtain a copy for free once a year by calling (866) 692-6901 (TTY for the hearing impaired (866) 346-3642) or by visiting the company's web site at Request Your MIB Consumer File - MIB Group, Inc..

In general the MIB can be contacted at Medical Information Bureau, P.O. Box 105, Essex Station, Boston, MA 02112, or by sending an email to infoline@mib.com Web: MIB.

Comment

When my mom had her stroke and was vegetative for 2 days, and we sat around her bed with the "Do Not Rescucitate" order slapped to her forehead, we all wanted to tell the doctor about her drinking, but my dad was ADAMANT that we could not, because their medicaid insurance rider specifically excludes alcohol and drug related conditions. He was the one that 'fessed up, and when the Doc diagnosed Mom with Wernicke syndrome, my dad spiraled into a panic, because he was 100% sure that her treatment expenses would be out of pocket. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Whenever there's people involved, things lose confidentiality. My home fax is one digit different than a medical fax #, and I get faxes ALL of the time of patient information- everything - to include Social Security number, home address, height, weight, and your current prognosis. The biggest file I've collected is 22 pages. I've been out of town to come home and find faxes on my machine labeled URGENT. What is so frustrating is when I call the senders, there's a real lackadaisical attitude about the confidentiality breach. One lady told me to just fax the information on to ... (and she gave me the number). Maybe I should call the tv station?

Patty
                Tampa, FL

Comment

I have to say that I really worry about threads, where information regarding medical care can get misconstude. The reason that this concerns me is that I fear that some people that need medical care, will not recieve the needed care because of misinformation.

I would check the "rider" on this medicaid policy. Does it mean that "rehab" for addiction is not covered. That "treatment" for addiction is not covered? Or is treatment for medical conditions related to alcohol are not covered? Rememer, Medicaid is state issued insurance. Most states have agencies that deal with addiction and rehab.

As for this fax machine issue. This is a serious breach of personal and confidential information. It would be up to the person who's information was jeopardized to take action. But, I think contacting a local TV station is a great idea!

Regarding the MIB, this is for insurance companies to validate medical questions asked by an applicant. It is very unwise to lie about medical questions on an application, such as smoking. If at the time the policy is due to be paid out, the insurance company then discovers a lie on the app. the company can, and probably will deny a pay out.
                  A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Kate, I worry too that people are too worried about this and thus don't tell their doctors things they should ... i.e., certain medications can be really deadly with alcohol use. that's why I was trying to get some clarity.....
                    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I still say you don't want your record to reflect any alcohol abuse history, that might compromise insurance payments or coverage. As far as adverse combinations of alcohol and certain drugs, well, for Heaven's sake, how hard is it to research this on the internet? Obviously, everyone reading this owns a computer, so when in doubt about drinking and medicating, go to Google!
                      Jane Jane

Comment

I have never gone to a doctor, psychologist, rehab, or detox over drinking and I managed to go 39 days AF and now am drinking moderately- so it is possible with the right nutrition. And I was drinking a pint of whiskey everyday for 5 years!

My view of doctors and psychologist is that usually they do more harm than good.

Comment

I too have been sober for 30 days, no meds, just supps, the support here and lifestyle changes. But, I still have respect for good Doctors and pshychologist's.

I also understand that different ways work for different people. I encourage people to choose what works in their case. The important thing is to be sober and in good health.
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Kate I really understand your concerns. They are real.

But I also think people are better off knowing this could be an issue rather than getting surprised with it later on.

Personally, I would be less concerned about a fax number than with denail of coverage based on preexisting conditions.

Also, the MIB information I think may be accessed by potential employers if you fill out an application form with background checks. Is that right?

I think it's best not to assume an all-or-nothing (tell doctor everything or tell him or her nothing) approach here. I think doctors might be willing not to spell things out in your medical records if you ask. This partly depends on a good relationship with your physician. But if you don't know in advance of the concerns, how would you know to ask?

AS for side effects and contraindications, I would ask a local pharmacist.

If you have employer-based insurance, these issues are not that problematic, but it sounds to me like private insurance cos try to weed out sick people.

Relationships with psychologists would seem very shallow without divulging a drinking problem. What is the point? Again, I would talk to a psychologist about what he or she puts on claims forms or pay to go privately, ask for sliding scale rates.

Comment

Insurance companies rule the financial world by screwing their customers. And are not about to quit. They may provide for it but what if you have to change companies? I will NEVER speak of alcohol. I don't want an exclusion.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Insurance companies are out for themselves and no one else. As a consumer and health care professional, I see it coming and going. As another said, it is not as much of a problem if you work for someone and are insured under a group policy. It is when you go for private insurance that it becomes a real pain in the ass.

There are some great docs out there, though. My psychiatrist has helped me enormously with my drinking issue, but he has never given me any kind of substance abuse diagnosis. Of course, if you take Campral or Naltrexone and use your insurance to buy it, you're screwed anyway. It pays to keep any SA diagnosis away from the insurance companies if you can possibly help it.

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X