I Have A Question About Milk Thistle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just puchased an started taking 3, 250MG a day per the recommended dosage. I havn't felt any side effects. I hope this will help with any damage I may have done.
    Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

milk thistle is regarded as one of the safest herbs on the market but irecommend you take a dandeloin root supplement with it as well as these two herbs work together
      as m/thistle flushes out impurities in the liver these go straight to the kidneys and combining both these herbs helps support the dtox process

Comment

d/root helps support the kidneys

Comment

Thanks, I will look into the Dandelion root. I Like dandelions as long as there not on my lawn!
          Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

ON DOSAGE, see below. The weights are important, though. Since they don't mention whether the dogs they are using for the tests are bichons or labradors, I felt safer looking at the results for rabbits. Assuming that the average rabbit weighs 22 pounds, or 10 kilos, and it takes on average 300 mg/kg to kill a rabbit, then a rabbit would have to injest 2000 mg/day to OD. CONCLUSION - So I think we are safe at around 500 mg/day but I'm not a doctor so don't sue me!

From Medscape.com:

The acute toxicity of silymarin has been studied in mice, rats, rabbits and dogs after intravenous infusion. The 50% lethal dose (LD50) values are 400 mg/kg in mice, 385 mg/kg in rats and 140 mg/kg in rabbits and dogs. However, these values are only approximate, as they depend on the infusion rate. When the compound is given by slow infusion (over 2 to 3 hours), values of 2 g/kg may be recorded in rats. After oral administration tolerance is even higher, with values over 10 g/kg. In the event of acute intoxication, the cause of death seems to be cardiovascular failure.[3] Similar results have also been obtained by Vogel et al.[5]

Other experiments to assess the acute toxicity of silymarin were performed in beagle dogs, rabbits, Wistar rats and NMRI mice after an intravenous bolus dose. Silymarin was used as the hemisuccinate sodium salt and the animals were kept under observation for 14 days. The LD50 was 1050 and 970 mg/kg in male and female mice, respectively, and 825 and 920 mg/kg in male and female rats, respectively. The mean lethal dose for rabbits and the maximum tolerated dose in dogs were calculated to be about 300 mg/kg.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
            X