Looking so old!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking so old!

I just looked in the mirror and my skin looks so grey and old today, feeling terrible too in general really tired and down. I thought my skin would look a lot better once I stopped dehydrating my body with booze but it actually is looking worse!

Looking so old!

Lizard, I have also experienced that. I would be so proud of myself after a few days, and then would look pale and gray. Then I would rationalize drinking to get the color back in my skin.

Recently I discovered, pallor (spelling)....is part of withdrawal. Hang on, it will get better.
    This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Looking so old!

(((Lizard)))

What do you expect, your a Lizard! All kidding aside, it's not only drinking that dehydrates us, the central heating, freezing wind of winter, and lack of warm sunshine to tan us, does make us not look our best this year. My fingers are so chapped in some places I have bandages on them. So don't dispair hon, tis the season to not look our best.

Comment

Looking so old!

lol hart you made me giggle . It's actually summer where I am so have been trying to get out for walks etc. I hope my skin doesn't get any worse I will look horrific :H

Comment

Looking so old!

I thought it might be withdrawal symtoms lookingforhope thank you for confirming it for me. Doesn't make you feel any better knowing this does it, I thought I'd be full of energy but no not one bit at the moment. I think my body must be totally out of vitamins etc.

Comment

Looking so old!

Lizard, there have been posts on this in the past. It does appear that we look like hello after we quit drinking. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we were just out of it to see what we looked like and/or just didn't care. I do think it also has to do with the detox process. The first stint I did was about 40 days when I started here. I remember thinking, "where the hell did all these wrinkles come from? And why are my eyes still red after this many days?" I continued to fall off the wagon, but I'm on about 52 days, and I'm starting to like the way I look. This time I quit had the same effect as the first time. First few weeks I was depressed at how I looked. Very dry and wrinkled, very thin hair, really redish yellow eyes. It just takes time. I also drink an insane amount of water. I don't drink anything else but tea. I love water. I'm lucky I love it so much, because it isn't a chore to drink it. Probably more than 4 quarts a day right now, and much more in the heat. I put some stuff on my face to protect from sun (remember, the sun is still out there even when it's cold) and use some stuff with Retin-A in it. I have to say, I think I look a couple years younger today than I did 7 weeks ago. Don't get frustrated. It does take some time. Remember, it's not just a matter of staying off the booze, but drinking water, exercise, etc. to get your body up to speed. As I said, there were numerous threads on this topic in the past since many people expressed the same concern. We found out that in time your skin will get it's moisture back, and your eyes, hair, and everything else will get healthier. Keep up the good fight.
            where does this go?

Comment

Looking so old!

goood one morrison.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Looking so old!

Thank you Morrison
                I've never been a big water drinker, sometimes I wonder why I'm in a bad mood and realise it's because I'm thirsty. I'm just drinking loads of diet coke at the moment which I know isn't terrific but it must be better than the booze.

Comment

Looking so old!

Lizard

Your body is getting rid of toxins, but definately keep drinking loads and loads of water and include fresh fruit in your diet.

Maybe even use a face mask - nothing too expensive as you could make one at home. I usually make one using natural yogurt, chickpea flour, 1 spoon of honey and a pinch of tumeric powder.

Comment

Looking so old!

Sounds like a good idea will try the face mask thank you.
                    I'm also craving sweet stuff and my stomach is growling away as I type, having an appertite is a new sensation to me, I haven't felt so hungry in a long, long time!

Comment

Looking so old!

Oh, another thing. It took me quite some time to get a good sleep pattern after just passing out for so long when drunk. The first few weeks of my recent sobriety I was, for lack of better words, a baggy eyed slob. My eyes looked terrible. They were so dark and wrinkled. It was a sad sight. Now that I'm 7 plus weeks sober, I look really fresh. It did take time. Well, what they hell can I expect after drinking heavy for so many years. Hang in there. At least you're drinking diet coke instead of coke. That stuff is loaded with sugar. I don't know of anyway to spruce up water so you'll drink more or it. Maybe put some lemon in there? Anyway, the main thing is too stay off the booze. Try to get an ample amount of rest and do the face moisturizer too. For what it's worth, I'm a guy and never considered using products on my face, but I was so bummed out by my appearance that I had to do something. I know how you're feeling. Give it a few weeks. It does take awhile.
                      where does this go?

Comment

Looking so old!

Drinking makes us a little "puffy" which is a good thing if one is past a certain age ; ) Think about being "puffy" it's kind of like collagen injections, no wrinkles!!! People always ask me what I do to stay so young looking at my age (46) and I tell them the truth, I drink too much wine. They usually don't believe me

I guess when I really really sober up for good I'm going to be using all my Pinot Grigio money for Restylane!!!!!
                        Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                        - George Jackson

Comment

Looking so old!

MyHeart, I never thought of it that way. I guess it depends on what your face looks like to begin with. I think women look better a bit soft, where men probably look better chiseled. Would you agree? I don't like women that are super thin. I don't know why society praises these malnutrition looking women. It's unhealthy. It seems that most men that women find attractive are usually chiseled features, and not a fatty face. Yes? I'm a man and my heterosexually doesn't allow me know if a guy is handsome or not. :H
                          where does this go?

Comment

Looking so old!

Lizard - I went through this too. Very pale/grey skin and my eyes were so bad, they looked like I got beat up. My sister actually asked me where I got my black eyes from. She thought I banged my nose into something! My eyes didn't clear up for about 3 days and it took my face another 3-4 days after that. One day I woke up and was shocked by how good my skin looked. So hang in there. I agree with advise already given. Drink a lot of water and use a lot of moisturizer.

My latest skin problem is acne all on my chin and nothing is helping that at the moment, but I'm figuring this too will pass. (I hope).

Good luck. Stay strong. Remember, no matter what we are going through, it's better than what we went through .

Love, Me
                            :l
                            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Looking so old!

morrison;260245 wrote: MyHeart, I never thought of it that way. I guess it depends on what your face looks like to begin with. I think women look better a bit soft, where men probably look better chiseled. Would you agree? I don't like women that are super thin. I don't know why society praises these malnutrition looking women. It's unhealthy. It seems that most men that women find attractive are usually chiseled features, and not a fatty face. Yes? I'm a man and my heterosexually doesn't allow me know if a guy is handsome or not. :H
                              Yes, I guess we do prefer our men "chiseled"...the old double standard is coming back to bite you guys, it's Karma....what can I say????

I do look an awful lot like MM (just check out the "this is me" in my signature) who was indeed awfully "soft" and by today's standard's overweight. At age 46 I still get carded when I try to buy wine. The secrets in the extra "fluff"....not enough to be "fat"....just enough to be "glowing". Either the restylane or the wine will kill me but either way I'm having fUN ; )

Party on (carefully),
                              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                              - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X