Any Dog Lovers Out There ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I am a little concerned about the idea of using your dog as protection from other dogs. Depending on your dog's/the other dog's temperaments, it could end up being trouble, if they really get into fighting. It would probably be a good idea to find out the laws in your area applying to dog attacks, having dogs on leashes, etc., so that if you are "nipped" again, you can deal with it legally with the owner. On the other hand, dogs can be great running companions.

I think dogs are terrific for companions, but definitely look into breeds that don't shed if you don't want to be dealing with lots of dog hair.

Good luck!

Kathy
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

I got both of my dogs from a shelter when they were one; one is now going on four and the other one almost two. They are both a queensland heeler mix and they have a great temperment, and they don't shed too much.

Labs are great to run with. Retrievers are so sweet, but my friend's Golden Retriever had major joint problems and ended up with cancer.

Most of all, be patient!!!! It took me a couple of months each to find my dogs. You will know the right one when you meet him or her.
      Goal 1: Today
      Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Hi! Miss October,

I love dogs and have two. May want to consider adopting one, many out there needing a home. Labs are known to be great dogs, though. Like some of the others have said, it is a commitment, so do a little research. Seems like the last dog I adopted (Avery) knows I saved his life, a great companion. Mixed breeds usually have fewer health issues than pure breeds, as well.

Comment

Basenjis- see my new Avatar?
          Pros: Very curious, smaller (25 lbs), Love to run, Don't Bark (they ROO), Love to cuddle.
          Love to lick and clean themselves like they are cats. They don't smell.

Cons: Need fence or Electric Fence, Love to eat underwear,
          Will run ~ not to escape you, but to see the world!

Basenji's are not for everyone- you can read about them and find rescues listed on Basenji Rescue and Transport, Inc.. They have great personalities and definitely become part of the family. Happy Hunting
          !

Patty
          Tampa, FL

Comment

It is so much fun to read about everyone's dogs. Each and every dog is special, they all have their "bad" sides and great sides.

I love every dog I have ever had. Little, big, small, pure bred, mutt. OMG, when they love you, they love you. Period. The only downside is, you have to make sure the have a good home, a loving family and good vet care (oh, that CAN be expensive as I kid my vet) but I have never regretted any of my dogs and I worked so very hard to make sure they never regretted me.

One other thing to consider is intelligence. Some dogs are smarter than others. A smart dog is awesome but can be a challenge. A smart dog has the intelligence of a 5 year old child. Anyone who has had a 5 year old child can relate how challenging this can be.

However, anyone who has loved a 5 year old and been loved by a 5 year old can understand why you would love a dog. Yes, they destruct, they take time, they are a committment, but the rewards of the love sure do outweigh those little things...

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I'm such a dork when it comes to my dog. I'll tell friends at work "Lucy" stories, because she really is like a 5 year old. I've never had a dog YAWN while verbally sighing, "Ohhhhhhh"..... you see, I told you I'm a dork! :H

Patty
              Tampa, FL

Comment

lovely dog patty great avi .....i hope oneday to have one that you approve of...lol
                Jacqui xxxx.....watch this space
                Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Jacqui, LOL.... if you have a baby girl, you can name her after my girl, Lucy! :H

Patty
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

just for you patty...my dogs jessie and cassie....oh and lucy is a great name
                    Jacqui xxx
                    Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Patty, I named our litte stray Lucy and she may have some of that breed in her. She's a bright eyed energetic runner.
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Miss October, I have 5 dogs all rescued, 4 have long hair 1 is a black lab and sheds like no tomorrow. She is the best girl in the world high energy a running fool we call her and very devoted to the family. Daily brushings should take care of the shedding problems for the most part. Mine are all such part of our family they are our babies. You will be amazed how much joy they bring into your life. I do urge you to adopt from your local shelter, it's such a wonderful thing to save the life of one of these little furry face. Trust me I bet you won't stop at one!
                        Smiles
                        mar

Comment

And she loves underwear and socks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Simeybear, when I was in college, we had to put our dog to sleep, and when I came home at Christmas break, my mom commented that she really missed Coco.... so the next day, I snuck to the animal shelter and found "Angel".... the volunteer told me that Angel would be "put down" tomorrow because she had overstayed her welcome. I brought Angel home and my mom was taking a nap~ Angel came bouncing in and started licking her. My dad was PISSED, but eventually got over it, because Angel stayed for 13 years. I really never lived with Angel, but whenever I came home, she would HOWL at me in joy. :heart: (I was the only one she'd talk to)...

P.S. Green, Lucy's favorite TREAT is my daughter's grundies~ her thong underwear will end up scattered underneath the dining room table ~ hey, at least Lucy knows where delicious meals should be served!

Patty
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

Lucy got hubbys underwear and ate a hole in the back part and front part in um... special places. When I showed it to him to remind him to not leave them on the floor, he said well I'll just keep them to wear for when I'm feeling sexy.:H
                              sigpic

Comment

The dogs I rescued were not puppies, but full grown. When I adopted them I was told to be aware, because although they were one, they were strays, so they never got a chance to behave like puppies.

Well, the youngest one (not that big, but a good 50-60 pounds) would get bad anxiety when I would leave and DESTROY the house. The first time I came home to this I was freaking!!! I was yelling "Oh my God" I looked at her, "DID YOU DO THIS!!!!" And she showed her teeth at me.
                                We were still getting to know each other, so I calmed down, thinking she could have been abused in her past life.
                                The next day, the same thing. But what I realized this time around was that she wasn't showing her teeth in a growl, she was laughing at me!!!! She was smiling because she thought eating by favorite shoes was the funniest thing in the world!!!
                                Goal 1: Today
                                Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X