Any Dog Lovers Out There ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any dog lovers out there ? I know there are wine lovers like myself, but I'm not looking for them :H

My 12 year old son has been bugging me to buy a dog for the past couple of years. I'm not a dog lover, because they always chase me when I run out on the road, and I have been "nipped".

So I'm started to change my mind and thinking it would be a good thing to have a dog. I'm thinking of a Labrador Retriever - yellow and female.

Are these dogs easy to take care of; do they shed much hair; can they go for a run between 3 to 6 miles ? Then the dog could go for a run with me, and hopefully other dogs will no longer bother me. I read that they are good family dog. My husband loves dogs and thinks it is a great idea too. We definitely want a dog that likes to exercise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
    Miss October :blinkylove:

Dogs are the best- just ask lushy! I agree with Janie that there is no need to buy one- lots of terrific doggies need homes already. Good luck!

Comment

Consider a golden retriever. I've had four. I have a stray little energetic rodent (used to big dogs) dog now. But the universe sent her to us. Maybe to try to take my attention away from AL. Lab would be a good choice. Less dog hair tumble weeds in the house. Sweet disposition and a good playmate for your child. I'd wait till spring if you could. Easier to take them out to potty train and to play. Good addition to the household. Consider a rescue. They need a home. Good luck!
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Labs love to run but shed a lot. A greyhound rescue might be nice, we have a lot of them in Tampa. Once their running carreer is over they get put to sleep if they are not rescued. They like to run FAST but I'm not sure about how long. Good luck with your new addition. I have 3 dogs and love all breeds!
        Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
        - George Jackson

Comment

Hi I so love dogs,I have a lab and a cocker at the moment I do find lots of hair from my lab if this is an problem try another breed that does not malt....cocker,westie or so many more,Im sure you will get a lot of joy from your new friend...but remember they are for life so please do some reseach and decided carefully...sending you my best in your decision
          Jacqui xxxx
          Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Labs shed a lot? Really? But they are short hair. I don't get it. My goldens had longer hair than I do! And more, lol!
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Miss October

I've only had my puppy 5 weeks and I already love her so much. She's a 14 week old puppy and boy does she have energy.

I'm not sure on other breeds, but we had decided on a Jack Russell as hubby does not like big dogs (he was also bitten when he was younger) and my aunt has a JR so I know they are energetic dogs. It's true when they say they are big dogs in a small body.

All I would suggest is read up on different breeds to get an idea on their characteristic. Every dog is diferrent though so I will also suggest a for you to read up some good books before hand. I made that mistake and by the first week I was in tears and distress because I was not able to understand her and vice versa. But she is a bundle of joy now and definately keeps me on my toes.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Hi green yes labs and gsd are know as the worse for malting.......that said i was told once to put a spoon full of olive oil on thier dinner and this really does help...makes the coat shine aswell
                Jacqui xxx
                Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

maybe i should do that.
                  sigpic

Comment

listen to lotus read all about different breeds like a dating ad....you will read about one and think thats the one for me...and you will be ready to love and be loved
                    Jacqui xxx
                    Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

I'm also an a dog lover and have had 5 dogs in the past 15 years. Three are still with me. I also volunteer at our local humane association. I agree with lucky in that there is no need to buy one just visit your local shelter or log on to petfinder.com. I think Breez just recently found a dog through this site or one similar. All of my dogs have been throw away dogs and you could not have asked for nicer, more gentle dogs. You just need to know some history on the dog and go to the shelter and interact with the dog. Good luck.

Comment

We just put our old dog to sleep on my birthday Jan 7th. He was a gorgeous German Shepard. I thought we could go a year without getting another dog. But we are already thinking about looking for another one.
                        Working in the animal health industry, I know a little about dogs. Be careful in finding a good, reputable breeder. Retrievers are unfortunatly on the 'hot list' of breeds who can be horribly inbred by unscrupulous breeders. The are prone to hip & joint problems made worse by bad genes. Ask your breeder for referrals of owners going back at least 5 years. They can be good indicators of someone you can trust. People thought we were crazy for paying $600 for a dog 11 years ago. But we did a lot of research and found one of the best breeders in the country who sold us our dog only after inspecting our home and meeting all of the puppy's 'family'.

Retrievers can be barkers and may need serious training and disipline.

Females can be and usually are more aggresive than males in any breed. They have strong instincts for protecting their puppies. This of course does not mean a female will be agressive no matter what. But it's something to think about.

Retrievers were bred to be active. They need a lot of exercise or they will get fat and this is hard on their joints. Your active lifestyle will be great for you and your dog as well as your son. Having a dog at his age can be a very good experience.

Retrievers can be shedders. Having short hair does not mean they shed less than long-haired dogs. A good diet with lots of omega 3 oils and good quality dog food will help this. Don't feed any dog cheap food like Ol Roy if you want to keep their coat in good condion.

As far as other dogs bothering you when you are out with your dog may or may not happen depending on the dogs personality. Really good socialization with other dogs is crucial starting when they are very young. Otherwise, you will have either a really whimpy scared dog or a dog who gets aggressive around other dogs.

Whether you decide on a purebred or a shelter dog - good luck! It will be so much fun!

Comment

I love dogs no matter what their breed. Mine is a Yorkie. He doesn't shed. He's lovable, smart and energetic. Yorkies are wonderful dogs, however, they are small in size. Being that your son is 12 yearsl old, I think a Lab or Retriever will be suitable for him. Not only are they lovable, they can rough and tumble with boys.
                          September 23, 2011

Comment

I'm a dog lover,
                            My pooch is my best friend ! Everyone that comes into my house knows that he's my dog.
                            They can be your best friend....if traned right. I have had dogs all my life. Two German Shepards that wouln'nt even bite me when we were playing. The dog whisper is really good ! Learn your breed...and thier tendencies. Then train. Lots of luck....IAD
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Labs are great dogs, I have a lab/weimeraner mix that showed up on my back porch last year..

However, labs are very hyper as puppies and they stay puppies for a couple of years. They love to chew up things and I mean CHEW UP THINGS!!

This may not be an ideal breed for you.

I had two Great Pyrennes. They are incredibly loving dogs, but not indoor types and would not be good running dogs.

However, you might just want to go find a good mutt from the shelter. You will know right away if you bond with the dog or not. Actually, the dogs find you.

Best of luck. Dogs are a huge commitment and the commitment is very long lasting. However, they are such loving companions that they are worth every minute of it.

Love,
                              Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X