Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Happy Hour-Happy Life

Hi Everybody-
    Thanks for the congrats and the encouragement.... I'm proud to say that I've finished what has been, for me, one of the hardest challenges- letting my friends and colleagues know that I'm "not drinking right now".

I wasn't on here last night because my company had the final dinner banquet, which started at 6:30 pm with cocktails, unlimited wine throughout dinner, and then an after bar party afterwards in the hotel bar. This is normally the final DRUNK party, where we are saying our goodbyes until next year~ many don't even bother to go to bed, because they have to be up at 4 am for their 6 am flights.

I went to bed at 3 am, and got up at 6:30 am, because I had one additional day of meetings. And yes, I am still 100% alcohol free. I posted earlier this week that when I told my friends that I wasn't drinking- it was no big deal!

Midnight revelations:
    1. The passion to succeed~ the "overachiever" reputation~ can be manipulated within my heart to support my decision to NOT drink.
    2. The fear of becoming the social outcast is irrational and was for naught. Nobody really cared if I was drinking or not~ they were either supportive, or obnoxious. If they were obnoxious, and if they were drunk and obnoxious, why should I care about their opinions?
    3. At the end of each meeting day, I was dreading the HAPPY HOUR temptation. At one point, I was reading my friend's Amstel Light bottle to see if it was reduced alcohol! The internal battle to drink was present, but I took mental baby steps to stay the course- drank water, found AF beer that looked "normal"....
    4. Obnoxious, drunk ladies are NOT attractive.... and I admit that I'm normally the most obnoxious one (oh and the most drunk too!).... it was very enlightening to watch good friends change as the night work on.... :nutso:

I'm falling asleep here, but wanted to answer Thankful's question. When I passed the 30 day mark, I stopped counting- it wasn't that I stopped caring, but I needed to make this drinking decision based upon my health, and not on a self-imposed deadline. I need to make the choice today so that I'm healthy for tomorrow. If I create an "anniversary" date, than I'm "married" to Al, when a divorce may be a happier solution.

Thanks again, and good night!
    Much love,

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

NHH - Happy Life what an inspirational post. 60 days is fantastic and I shall take on board all your comments about not drinking

Well done Sweetpea xx :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
      :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

Dear Patty -
        I LOVED your line which stated ...
        "If I create an "anniversary" date, than I'm "married" to Al, when a divorce may be a happier solution."

Thank you so much for sharing!! You are so inspirational ... WELL DONE!

Much love,
        - Masq
        Courage is fear that has said its prayers. - Karl Barth
        :wings: :huggy

Comment

I just found some of my old posts- here, where I by-passed 60 days. At some point, I decided I could "moderate" and slowly, my old habits dominated my life.

My Uncle is a recovered alcoholic, and he spent the last 25 years of his working career as an alcoholic/drug counselor. I returned to this forum because my 28 year old niece is combating alcohol addiction, and her reality made me truly look in the mirror: WHO was I kidding? And if she asks me for help, HOW can I honorably help her?

This time, I've not had alcohol since early February. Like I said above, I don't want an official date, so we'll call it 1.5 months. But this time, in my heart, I'm not looking to moderate. I've decided that alcohol will not have control over me anymore.

After all, I drink it, and what does it turn into? Pee. Why should I let some liquid dominate my life form?

Hugs, everyone!
          "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
          so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
          :hug:

Comment

Welcome back NHHHL

Stay close this time. There will be a lot of new people and some long timers too, you can do this. You've already started.

Comment

Thank you, Roxane.
              "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
              so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
              :hug:

Comment

Great job! Over on the roll call, we'd give you a hat for achieving 30 days! So here you go!
                :goodtime:

Congratulations on your AF time, getting that distance from AL is true freedom!
                Well done!
                Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks for this - I too have had attempts in the past. I am working on acceptance. Accepting that I cannot drink normally and therefore cannot drink again. I am on day 26 today and finding myself thinking that I can moderate. If I can abstain for this long with few problems, can't I just change and only drink one or two now and then. The answer, I know from experience is NO! Yet still I have these stupid thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                  X