frontal cortex and limbic. two different languages...one brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food for thought here. we realize that our issues and in fact all mental issues are tremendously complex so lets step back and look at the basics.

Our brain has a highly evolved frontal cortex which performs functions of conscious decision making. It is curious and can learn pretty quickly.

And we have a very primitive Mid brain or Limbic region that is animalistic in nature and has helped us to survive for thousands of years. It's powerful functioning has to do with reward mechanisms and 'drive'.

How can we expect just one thing to work in fighting an addiction when we have to satisfy both of these elements of our brains? Our strategy for success must be all encompassing.

whatcha think?
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

I think its harder for men to quit drinking. :H
    This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Hey Det:

You already know my position on this. Absolutely.

Multiple fronts, with multiple redundancies.

Multiple psychological strategies. Multiple supplement types.

Cross training exercise of several different types.

Multiple mental change methods. Rotating everything at intervals.

Absolutely. Shock and awe attack on the beast.

Neil

Comment

To drink or not to drink........that IS the question. Do I satisfy my want for numbing or do I face what I want to numb? Am I bored what can I do? Do I want to face things I have been procrasinating on? Haven't talked w/someone about what bothers me? Or do I say screw it all and drink?

I don't think it's harder for men to stop drinking, respectfully, lookingforhope, Don and Neil are great examples of success...........

For me personally, it's gotten to the point I need to sh*t or get off the pot. Last nite I was AF. Hmmmm, using that analogy does that mean I sh*t?

Somehow this post went astray....:H

Comment

Determinator;263585 wrote: How can we expect just one thing to work in fighting an addiction when we have to satisfy both of these elements of our brains? Our strategy for success must be all encompassing.
          Good topic Det. I get what you mean. What's missing, in my view, is the ability to mediate between the two. I think addicts tend to be black and white people. Gray areas, ambiguity, are uncomfortable. Either I'm "good" and AF and super-achieving and doing, or I go the other way and give into chaos and lose touch.

From a psychiatric point of view, the Gestalt kind, we all have an inner: child, adult and critical parent. Each of these has an important role. I think we addicts have an inner child who is usually in alot of emotional pain and who has no defense against impulses to grab whatever to make us feel better, and a harsh critical parent who judges but doesn't help. Bouncing back and forth between the two over and over and over is exhausting. We lack the internal healthy adult to mediate between the 2 (it's no coincidence that I had no actual parent who was like this as a kid - how would I learn?).

This adult soothes, problem solves, reframes sitatuaitons, thinks things through, weighs consequences, patiently identifies needs and gets them met. My recovery over the years (from addiction and ALLL the rest), has been about "growing" that loving inner adult . I didn't have even a hint of one when I hit adolescence (the first time!). A healthy loving parent does not consciously let harm come to their child, no matter what. They don't even have to think about it. It's not a struggle. The heart and mind are in synch. Could I love myself this way? You bet!

Having said all that, now matter how much I "grow", I will always be allergic to alcohol. That's my biology. It's in my cells. Can never take my eye off the ball.......

w. xx

Comment

My cortex hurts and I just pulled a muscle in my limbic region. That's what happens when I try to figure this stuff out!
            If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Hart, you have indeed excreted. congrads.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Prest that's funny but true! we dont' learn to deal with these things in school...and typically our parents don't know either which is why they are often screwed up too.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Garlic, When I think about drinking I can really exhaust myself and I am not kidding. It must be both parts of my brain conflicting with each other. I have to actually say to myself enough thinking about this and move on with your day.

Sammys

Comment

limbic system very primitive and wants drink all the time.

frontal cortex is too darned busy analyzing to put a stop to the madnees

aaayy dios mio
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

looks like both systems are obsolete and need replacement or upgrade
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

in a nutshell I see our task as follows:

Frontal cortex improvement is made by learning and analyzing. spending time on MOW, hypno, therapy etc.

Limbic region is treated by drugs/supplements both from pharmacological sources as well as from exercise as this releases tons of endorphins into our system.

incidentally there is one thing you can do from a front-brain perspective to effectively calm down a hyperactive middle brain and that is: deep abdominal breathing techniques.

so when it comes to the middle limbic brain don't try to reason with it. it's like reasoning with a dog or a lizard. it has no mechanism for sorting right from wrong etc. just calm it down and it will slowly change in time as our conscious actions change.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Interesting thread. Wonderworld, did you use any self-help books to love the lost inner child?
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

This is good, but I can't think this hard right now, but good, very good topic!!!

Comment

Det,

This is actually something they discussed in rehab quite in depth. I guess because the limbic part of the brain, which is quite honestly thinking the alcohol is a necessity, is sending out those urges to drink.

That is why they say HALT (don't get hungry, angry, lonely, tired??) I think that is what halt stands for. In other words, keep yourself in good shape and spirits so your rational brain can maintain control.

It does make sense, doesn't it? That is why stress is such a trigger.

Good topic, Det. Thanks for bringing it up.

Also, rehab did teach us the deep abdominal breathing technique. My new counselor is going to teach me deep relaxation therapy tomorrow at my next session. She feels meditation is critical to beating alcohol addiction.

Cindi

ps, she also things Campral rocks!!
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X