DT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DT's

Does anyone know.....How many drinks per day does a person need to be drinking to experience DT's when giving up alcohol.

I keep screwing up with moderating so I was thinking of just stopping completely but the whole DT's thing scares me to death. If I go to bed feeling fine could I wake up with them or something? I have a prescription for Xanax which is a benzo so maybe that would be good to take? I already take one everynight for sleep anyway though.
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

DT's

You have to have been drinking an extreme amount for many years to experience DTs on withdrawal. I am not an expert (although I nearly am from experience!) but I am sure you don't have to worry about DTs.

Withdrawal symptoms, like shakiness, anxiety, problems sleeping, are more common for people who have been drinking every night for many years. But, truly, DTs come only to the really die-hard, morning-to-night drinkers who do it for years and years.

If you are really worried, try cutting back for a few days before going cold turkey.

And yes, benzos will also help you. They make you tired and a little "out of it" but they will ease the process.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

DT's

Beatle,

So, you are saying those who drink from dawn to dsusk are at risk??

LOL (damn not laughing)

I have been doing that. Damn!!!!

I am tired of being a drunk. Daighter is DYING from being a drunk. I would take her place in a heartbeat,.. No faster than a heartbeat.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

DT's

I wish that that the last post was a "look at it" kind of thing

No, daugher is DYING from drinking and she "freaking out."
        I am, too.

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

DT's

I AM TOO!!
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

DT's

myheart, make sure your supplements are ok with xanax.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

DT's

Cindi: i am SO sorry about your daughter. obviously i'm not a doctor, but just thought I'd share something. My brother-in-law, who is 50, a couple months ago had a seizure and rushed to the hospital. He had been a very, very heavy drinker for years. Anyway, his liver was not functioning at all. He was on machines for quite a while. He also had internal bleeding. They did not think he would live. But, he did and is OK. the liver apparently has a lot of regenerative abilities ... anyway, I am praying for you and your daughter :h :h

MyHeart, sorry to hijack the thread.
              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

DT's

myheart, is that YOU singing amazing Grace?
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

DT's

greeneyes;265420 wrote: myheart, is that YOU singing amazing Grace?
                  :H It's Leeann Rimes
                  - George Jackson

Comment

DT's

My heart,
                    I went though bad dt,s but was a very heavy drinker...I dont know the answer to your question but i know this.....a few days dt,s is far better than a life with AL
                    Wishing you the love and strengh you derserve
                    Jacqui xxx
                    Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

DT's

Well, I don't drink morning to night so I guess I'm OK which is a relief. I've just been drinking a lot lately due to my husband stressing me out. He's either madly in love with me or thinks I'm a terrible person, it's really weird. His personality just flips like a light switch seemingly out of nowhere. Now the Doctors think he has a dissociative disorder on top of the bipolar. The whole thing is eerie and hard to believe but I am seeing it with my own eyes, it's like something out of a movie. Nobody understands all the "experts" just tell me to leave him, how is that helpful? I have to stop responding to emotional pain by drinking.
                      - George Jackson

Comment

DT's

well, jaqui, I don't know what you went through, so I can't judge. But DTs are serious. About 20% of people who go through DTs die. I wonder if you just had very bad withdrawal- there is a big difference. I have been through bad withdrawals (many times) but never DTs... DTs mean horrible hallucinations and usually seizures. Like going crazy. Have you seen Dumbo? That's the nice side of DTs. Anyway, I'm fairly sure Heart does not have to worry. Withdrawal, maybe. DTs, I think not.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

DT's

And MyHeart, if you love your man and he loves you and you want it to work, I say fuck the "experts". Just work on your drinking problem. And stand by your man.

Comment

DT's

You probably wouldn't want my advice on the marriage thing since the greatest thing ever to happen to mine was our divorce....Actually I didn't start drinking heavy till I got maried (even though the wife didn't drink) but I digress..

As far as withdrawls/DT's go, well thats something you're going to have to deal with one way or another. I mean really that check has already been written and you'll have no choice but to cash it if you want to move on.

If it makes you feel better though, I was drinking a LOT when I stopped cold turkey. I was definatley drinking from morning to night a lot of the time. I was at the end of about a 3 month binger when I finally got my Kudzu and stopped. Things were pretty rough for about the first week or so, but when they get better (and things WILL get better), you end up feeling better than you ever thought possible while drinking. I think you'll find that a few rough days and sleepless nights are well worth the reward that awaits you.

Honestly though good luck on stoppign drinking, and good luck with your issues on the homefront as well.

Comment

DT's

BELIEVE-- while I think you offer very good advice, I beg to differ on the check having been written. Even if you are a heavy drinker, morning to night, whatever, there are ways to make withdrawal easier and also to avoid DTs if that is where you are headed (which I don't think MyHeart is). It has to do with supplements and the way you quit. Anyway, I won't get into it, as I know MyHeart is not close to that at all. No matter what, withdrawal is not fun, but most who go through it agree it is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X