Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Librium Grrr

MWOers,

One thing that is actually making me sad is that for some reason taking the Librium is helping tremendously. I am calmer, relaxed and no thoughts of AL at all today.

Too bad this drug is worse than AL, because I saw so many people in rehab who were addicted to this class of drug and their lives were HELL.

I remember Bashley said that his doc gave him a very mild Xanax prescription for about a month.

Has anyone taken it? I have never taken any of the benzos before.

Wouldn't a month get you addicted?

Any information would be appreciated because I do realize I need to kick this anxiety down, working with shrink will help, but that will take time.

But the absolute LAST thing I want to do is get addicted to some other damn drug.

Thank in advance,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Librium Grrr

My doctor prescribed me Ativan.... which can be addictive. He gave me 30 pills and said that a month's worth will not make me become dependent. He knows of my addictive personality and did not want to give me more than what I needed at the time because of it. Mind you, I have only had 3 of them.... because I am scared of becoming dependent upon them.

Xanax is addictive too, if abused. I am pretty sure that a month on the stuff wouldn't hurt you. I would ask your doctor about it.

Comment

Librium Grrr

Cindi, as long as you don't overdo it, you'll be ok...I would think at least a 30 dy. supply of xanax, or whatever would help you get thru the withdrawl stage...call your Dr., its not nearly as bad as killing yourself slowly with alcohol!
      "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Librium Grrr

Cindi: a psychiatrist put me on Clonazepam. It is also a benzo, and I'm finding so much conflicting info on how addictive it is. My psychiatrist said that GPs in the U.S. WAY over-prescribe things like Xanax, which are fast-acting and definitely addictive, because they have a very short half-life. He said Xanax is better for situational anxiety and that for more long-term help, Clonazepam is much better because it has a longer half-life ... and he SAID it is not addictive. However, some here say it is. But definitely better than Xanax.
        :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Librium Grrr

Cindi - My doc also prescribed me Ativan for 30 days. I took them very occasionally when I was feeling extremely aggitated or anxious. They helped on those nights and I didn't drink. I think a month on anything is OK.

Love you!!!

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Librium Grrr

I don't know much about librium, but if it is a benzo, it is a great thing to help you get off alcohol. BUT it can be addictive very quickly. They say it takes 4 weeks, but I don't think that applies to alcoholics. So I would be careful, and take it max 2 weeks. But DO take it if you need it. We do what we have to do to fight off AL, right?
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Librium Grrr

I'm with Dexterhead about the Klonopin (clonazepam-generic). It is related to valium. You can become phyiscally dependent on it, particularly depending on the dose, so you do have to wean off of it. Since it is long acting, and kicks in and leaves your system slowly, there is very little chance of a psychological addiction. It just doesn't cause the same kind of panic that becoming dependent on Ativan or Xanax does.

I have taken clonazepam for over 10 years to help me sleep ( .5mg), and I only had to raise my dose once (to .75 mg). Now that I am no longer drinking, I have been able to go back to my original dose. I trust this medication quite a bit more than any of the other benzos or sedatives.

I hope this helps Cindi

:l :l

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Librium Grrr

Cindi, Librium is fine and is far less addictive when used for alcohol withdrawal than other benzos. A month is usually enough to get you off the booze.
                Don't worry as long as you take it as prescribed.
                Love Paula.

Comment

Librium Grrr

I've only been addicted to one thing in my life, Pinot Grigio, not hard liquor, not drugs, just Pinot Grigio. I've been on Xanax for years and never needed or wanted an increased dose. I take it at night to sleep. My Dr. encourages me to take it more often for panic attacks but I am too afraid to. Very very rarely do I take it during the day....maybe one or two days a year.
                  Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                  - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                  X