Day 31 and Beyond: Hello, I'm a non-drinker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone - So much for global warming - It's turning back into the ice age. Snow again. You too out in beautiful Colorado. I want to hear more from WW & Thankful about the caffiene discussion. I was drinking coffee all day yesterday and today again - thinking "damn it" I am not giving up my coffee too! Tell me more! I need one addiction and I don't want it to be sugar!

Liv
    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

hello everyone.. just checking in for a bit and catching up on your posts. oh my gosh so much fun and beautiful..... love you all. love you k8. i'm a big tea drinker. and wow, i have that in hand allll the time. all the time. i have hot tea even in the hottest of weather. oh gosh and det i love the chrome appliances. makes me want to get some. since i'm raw fooding it i'm considering these new additions to in the kitchen. hummmmm. oh gosh and shopping at the farmers market was so fun. and yesterday was my last day at corporate gig. am going to miss them all so much. love each and every.. love them. they had such a nice party for me too. i just cherish each.. but am so thankful to be starting on my new life. i even hiked the doggies this morning for the first time in months.
      and this morning i bought the best cd courses ever from landmark education. so this morning i'm listening to living life powerfully. and it is so good. it's all about integrity. oh my god it's beautiful i feel so so so in that space again of miracles. integrity isn't the right wrong game its the space of miracles. just being the space of really being whole and complete and living with power freedom and peace of mind. oh this is so so so yummy. i'm so glad they put some of their stuff on cd. i've been waiting for this forever...... this guy has lead courses for over 200,000 people. oh i'm in yummy heaven today and sufficiently confronted... ah coming back to being your word.. oooohhhhh well gotta go... i'm really getting into the cd now and gotta make a salad.
      lvoe lvoe love you all
      :welcome:

Comment

Hello friends-

It's yucky here too Liv. No snow, but chilly and grey. That warm sun better come back soon.

Caffiene. Aaaaaaaah caffiene. I am very sensitive to it - though I use to drink it by the bucket all day. I love drinknig coffee. But I KNOW that even in small amounts, it messes up my sleep. I think it also messes up my appetite. When I drink more coffee, I eat less, and then when I do, I'm more likely to be looking for sugar and carbs. It gets my blood sugar all weird. Because I am very stubborn, and also very slow to cut the cord, I have been for a long time living with this compromise: I have 2 big cups of 1/2 caf in the morning at home and that's it. Lately I started drinking more coffee once again - and what happens? Duh. Already bad sleeping gets even worse. Food starts to get a little whack. I'm edgy and cranky. :headbanger:. So - there's MY rap on caffiene.

How is everyone? What's everybody doing for the weekend? I'm going to be home and then tomorrow night movies and dinner at Mom's and then an all day meeting on Sunday.

See youze later-

WW xx

Comment

Thanks WW - I will have to pay more attention to my body when I drink coffee - I am drinking it all day again today. I do eat less - but your right - I'm hungry for BREAD right now - maybe a connection! I think it's weird - how I really want one thing right now that isn't the best for me. Rebellion is a hard habit to break. Right now it's coffee. Sleeping isn't a problem for me if I don't drink it after 6 pm.

Bootsie - good to see you! Are you talking the Landmark forum?? "possibilities" ... I love Landmark! Do they have CD's out now?? I did a weekend last summer! I just didn't have the time to go the next level - but one of my "possibilities" was to quit smoking and drinking! Here I am!

Kate - the 90 is coming the 90 is coming !

Ok - all of the rest of you lovelies
          - Have a great weekend - Believe
          buddy - you have an awesome one too (sorry about egging you on with the gun talk and getting you in trouble with miss Kate - just here in this part of the country - everyone packs a gun - of some sort - lowest gun crimes in the Nation too - but I won't go there)

Love you all!
          Liv

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing well.

Hanging in there. I just wanted to pop in and say hello.

Still out of it, but did not have any caffiene today. Feel like crap because of it too, so I have to find a happy medium somewhere. There has to be a balance for me. I'll just cry if there isn't! lol

I'll touch base with everyone this weekend.

Love to all ~

Love, Me
            :l
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

can't talk about guns here? what the heck? Believe I'll pm you........ (fellow enthusiast)

soooper nice loverly sunny day in the high Sierras, just basking in the crippling effect of my last super workout on Thursday (owch!) Nurse!!!

Had a nasty drinking dream but the good part of them is...waking up! whew.

eat your garlic everyone
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

oopsy daisy ~ we are falling below the line and landed on page 2. Can't have that - and I can't say that DET didn't try being that he posted last above this.

Nice day finally - at least the snow melts in a day this time of year. My grass looked like it was growing after the new snow melted off - and my tulips survived - so need to be thinking about getting the mower out of the storage shed. :waving:

Today ---- I took my first motorcycle drive!! (Not RIDE ... DRIVE). About a month ago I told my husband that this spring/summer I want to learn to drive. (I've always been a rider). I want my own motorcycle. So today we went to a big parking lot - and I drove it around the lot! My only oops - was after circling around and around in 1st gear - when I came to a stop I reved a little gas when I was breaking and did a little dump (I say little because I didn't get hurt and the bike didn't either.) We are talking a "Heritage Classic" Harley. Big bike. :xxx: But hubbie didn't act like it mattered to him (His bikes are his babies) and was excited that I wasn't rattled. So - I am signing up to take the "class". I decided this was going to be my "gift" to myself for being sober. It's not something I've "always" wanted to do - but I put it on my ... "what do I want to do now that I don't drink" list of possibilities. SO I'M SO EXCITED!! I am going to be a "biker babe" :youwish:

WW - glad to see you around - we don't want anyone MIA for to long ...you to Barbie Baby... speaking of KATE where are you??!! MM will breeze in - also haven't seen N-L for a bit and Sun --- Believe ............. our family is quiet. I know BHOG is out of town for another day ........ Anyway - HUGS to all

Liv

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Liv, you'd think I'd killed the thread off for good! yikes!

biking....how cool, the things we can accomplish when AF.

the Chris Rock concert was way too fun! Dx and I had a ball and laughed ourselves silly.

hope all me pals had fun too
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Det - it looks like it is just you and I on this thread - all the lovelies and the lil brother are away tonight. So you and I will just keep bumping it back up so everyone else can find their way home!

The Chris Rock concert must have been a blast! Isn't it fun to LYArseO while sober! Nothing feels so good!! Hello to Mrs Dex - and see ya tomorrow!
                    Liv

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Just about to log off for the day (I'm heading outside on my day off to dig up my flower gardens - finally the weather is spring like - and I only have Mondays off - so I'm better get out and enjoy spring while it is here - you never know if we will only have one day of it)

My post today is the recommendation of a GREAT book I am reading that I know all of you would like : Sober for Good by Anne M. Fletcher. It is so awesome. Just a few exerpts to pique your interest:

"The turning point for me was when I decided that I didn't have to go the AA route, stopped doing what everyone told me to do, and started trusting my own judgment (which I ws told repeatedly not to do) and doing what made sense to me. I needed to believe and trust in myself, to learn to take responsibility for my life, and to make healthy choices."

"I realized that there is no rule book for staying sober. I had to find what was right for
                      me."

Chapter 3: It's Not How Much You Drink
                      "It's not so much the frequency of drinking but how it affects your life when you do".

On finding a "cause" for your drinking:
                      "As the landmark 1990 institute of Medicine report concluded, a single cause of all alcohol problems probably will never be identified; there are different causes in different people, and people can be effectively helped without knowing the causes. A past heavy drinker and alcohol treatment counselor sums up nicely with this view: "Alcoholism is LIKE a disease and it's definitely a bad habit, but it's a condition that, like many things human, is the result of conscious choices as well as compulsions. But I believe that one can CHANGE"

Chapter 4: You don't have to "HIT BOTTOM"

"Jackie finds it amazing that Glenn, whom she eventually married, has stuck by her through it all. "I was really a mess the first year, but I think as the real me emerged, he saw more of that person he only glimpsed while I was drinking". She concludes, "Alcohol is so much not a part of my lifestyle, I can't imagine ever going back. I have too much to lose now. My life is terrific! When I drank, alcohol clouded my choices. Now I have choice in everything I do. Choice, in mind, is the opposite of being stuck. Choice is freedom."

Chapter 5: It's not necessarily one day at a time

Ok this is the most amazing chapter - but I'm currently just reading it so ........

But I think the book lines up with everything those of us who keep coming back to this thread believe. So - keep me posted if you read it!

PS - sorry about the font - the bold print and the size. Once I start messing with this it just seems so outdated that you can't "see" what you are doing - but I don't have time to retype all of this and I tried to "fix" it - but I couldn't . So forgive me for all of the above hard to read posting.

Liv

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Hey- oh!!!!

A very rough weekend. I am EXHAUSTED. More on that and everything else a little later. I'm going to try to read and catch up and catch my breath. Missed you all terribly :h-

WW xox

Comment

HELLOOOOOOOO!!

I'm still here, my lovelies! I have been "spreading my wings". Really, spreading my poor legs - NOT WHAT YOU THINK..:H

I have been working out a lot with my new trainer at my new gym.. Can I just tell you how much I love her and being at her gym!! This gal is amazing. We are friends and she is a client, so it makes the workout really fun. We have a very similar sense of humor, so we laugh our asses off. It has been amazing.. I never realized how many people I actually know.. weird. I probably talk to at least 10 people everytime I go. Wow, I guess I really have been living in a bubble. Anyway, I am working out every day and then getting out and doing something most nights. WOO-HOO!

Sounds like everyone is doing great.. I miss you guys, but let me tell you something, you are ALL ALWAYS WITH ME! My AF brain is connected here and that is a good thing. I have still not ventured into any drinking scenes yet, still not ready to do that. In fact I turned down another invitation to go to a fashion show / cocktail party Saturday night. But, I feel OK with it. I will know when I am ready.. until then, I am really happy with just getting out.

Sooooo, I think since I have a moment I am going to go and read a bit to catch up on all the goings on around here...

LOVE YOU GUYS!! I'll check in again soon when I can break away from bikini boot-camp!!

xoxoxox

MM
                          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Hello all ~

MM ~ I thought you forgot about us. Just kidding. I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well.

WW ~ Crazy tenant and an exhausting weekend. You poor baby. :soothe:

Liv ~ I'm so jealous! I want a hog!! Never have learned to ride. I need one of those low riders. I'm only 5'3". lol

Det ~ "Cock Flavored" soup mix, huh? You are quite the chef! :H Boy, this post is going to really make people scratch their head when you change your avatar again!!

Kate, Believe ~ just were have you two been? Miss you!!

BHOG ~ are you back from your trip yet?

Everyone else?? Heeellooooo??? Why is it so quiet here??????

My niece turns 18 Wed, and I am so happy and so sad all at once. Been a bittersweet week just reflecting on memories. I am taking her on a road trip Thursday to check out her first college. Yup, been tearing up a lot this week. My baby is all grown. :upset: Seven hour car trip, so I will be able to cherish a few more precious moments. Her mother doesn't feel like taking the trip. (Stupid bitch). I think she doesn't want to give up the cigs (can't smoke in car). She just thinks the car ride will be too boring. No shit! Of course it's gonna be boring! Heaven, forbid she take part in such a monumental moment in her only child's life. She probably can't bear the thought of not drinking 2 whole days in a row either. I'm not trying to sound hypercritical because I no longer drink, but this woman has never put her daughter first. Ok, enough about that.

My darling niece doesn't know it, but I will giving her a diamond ring that was passed down to me when my mother died. My favorite Aunt gave the ring to my mother about 19 yrs. ago. My niece never got to know her grandmother (she was 20 months old when she died), but she is close to my Aunt in spite of the generation gap. I think it will be a nice surprise because she would never expect it. Sigh... She thinks I have to die before she gets it! lol

Been crazy here. Still not doing well with caffiene, so of course the diet sucks (skipping way too many meals) and then eating junk. Feeling like crap because of it. I just know that with the road trip and the stress this week, it's not going to get better any time soon. Hopefully, next week it will get better. Actually, I have to make it better. I feel so blah.

So, my friends, be well. I will try to touch base when I can.

Love to all ~

Love, Me
                            :l
                            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Thankful, do I have to run over there and cook you something?

MedMama, your workout routine sounds great! so happy for you.

Wonderworld, get some rest dear

Liv, that book sounds great. Love the excerpts you posted from it.

well, I'm tired, full and happy, just back from the gym and made an exotic Indonesian stew.

be well everyone
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Howdy!

Well, I'm up with the birds and thought I would pop in before I head out for a CRAZY day!

Det~ I WANT THAT RECIPE - Indonesian Stew sounds amazing... You have been working out - how is yoru body responding since you have been AF? Just curious... Mine is really responding well this time. I have worked out before, but this time it is paying me back. FINALLY. Congrats on your continued success - and LOVE the "cock stock"!!:H

Thankful~ I can not believe your, is it your sister or sister-in-law, doesn't want to go on that trip. That absolutely blows my mind. I cannot even imagine missing that kind of a monumental occasion. You are wonderful for going and it sounds like you have a very special bond with her. I have that kind of bond with my aunt. I could see her doing just that kind of thing for me. My aunt is one of the most amazing and special women in my life. I call her before I call my own mother.. Still to this day, I go on vacations with her and talk to her for hours on the phone. She is my voice of reason... She is very lucky to have you and you her....:h

Liv~ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you are riding your own bike!! I can see it all now.. WOO-HOO! Keep us informed.. Will you be getting yoru own bike, or will you take over one of hubbys - doubt that.. hee-hee.. My first husband had Harley's and I know how attached he was to them. I loved them, too. I also want to be able to ride my own one day.. Also, I LOVED the quotes from the book you are reading. I just ordered "Freedom from Addiction: The Chopra Center Method for Overcoming Destructive Habits" by Deepak Chopra, when I'm done I think I will get yours... thanks!

Bootsie~ You sound amazing, sweetie! Giving up the corporate gig is just what the doctor ordered, eh? Walking the dogs, relaxing, listing to CD's, taking time for yourself.. sounds like growth to me! Pretty soon you will be the one giving inspirational speeches, besides the ones you give to us! You go girl.. You are truly an inspiration.. thank you for sharing your lovely days with us... :h

Wonder~ Whatcha doing my beautiful friend? How's NY in the springtime.. I am envious.. I am really feeling the eastcoast pull these days. I was envited to come out to NYC to a conference on the 21st, but there is just no way I can swing it this time.. whaaa! I really want to come to NYC soon, though. Soon.. You know, I gave up caffine for the most part about three years ago. I do have one once and a while, but for the most part I drink decaf. I HATED it at first, but now I hate the feelign I get when I am buzzed from coffee... weird how our senses change. I just get too psyco on it!! But I really find that I enjoy decaf as much as the real stuff now and I can drink as much as I want.. Oh, how goes teh crazy tenant these days? Shesh.. sorry you have to deal with that...

Kate~ Where ya been, sister!! Oh, that's right you were on a trip. I have been so out - you were in Minneapolis, right? Tell me you went shopping at the Mall of America!! Nothing like shopping and then going for a spin on a roller coaster - NOT!!! I will stick to a quiet boutique OUTSIDE the mall, thank you... My sister took me there once and I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack.I can't wait to catch up with you.. write when you can... xoxo

Believe~ How goes the token man!! Oh, yeah, now we have BHOG, too! Looks like youhave some competition:H

I LOVE what you wrote about waking up hangover free! I am almost taking it for grated these days, so thank you for reminding me. It is amazing how wonderful it is to look ot how far we have come, isn't it! No matter where any of us are in our journey we have accomplished more this year than I think most of of have for a very long time. We need to remind ourselves of that, so thank you for the reminder. So, here's to taking a GOOD LONG LOOK IN THAT MIRROR TODAY and patting ourselves on the back, or tush.. YEAH!

BHOG~ I think you are also still out of town with the Mrs.. Hope you are having a spectacular time!! can't wait to hear all the juicy details!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I better go wake my sleeping beauty and get myself ready for bikini boot camp. Today is one of my longer workout days.. YEOWZA! Hold me I'm SACARD!

To everyone here, anyone I missed, and all to come.. Namaste and have a wonderful AF day. Do something nice for yourself today...

MM
                                Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Working...
                                X