Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To AFers out there... a question for you and an excerpt from AA...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions first: does anyone else have dreams about drinking? Have you ever awakened in the morning (not necessarily after dreaming of drinking) and felt as if you "tied one on" the night before?

A couple of times I have woke up the next day and felt "hungover" since I've gone AF. Last night for the first time I had a dream where I got my drunk on...

Anyone else have experiences such as this? I'm going to my second AA meeting today, but this is the excerpt I wanted to share from AA's book: Living Sober. Perhaps it will help someone here, as I found it encouraging and the bolded right on the money

"Why 'not drinking'?"

We members of Alcoholics Anonymous see the answer to that question when we look honestly at our own past lives. Our experience clearly proves that any drinking at all leads to serious trouble for the alcoholic, or problem drinker. In the words of the American Medical Association:

"Alcohol, aside from its addictive qualities, also has a psychological effect that modifies thinking and reasoning. One drink can change the thinking of an alcoholic so that he feels he can tolerate another, and then another, and another
    ... the alcoholic cannot be cured so that he can return to alcohol without adverse consequences."

And we repeat: somewhat to our surprise, staying sober turns out not to be the grim, wet-blanket experience we had expected! While we were drinking, a life without alcohol seemed like no life at all. But for most members of AA, living sober is really living - a joyous experience. We much prefer it to the troubles we had with drinking.

One more note: anyone can get
    sober. We have all done it lots of times. The trick is to stay and to live sober.

I hope someone finds this excerpt helpful and don't forget my original questions, please

Hi Shika: can't help much as I'm not AF yet , but thought I would say hi. And I constantly dream that I am in an alcohol-induced fog, no self-control, drinking in front of everybody and shaming myself, etc. I know my brain is screaming messages at me with that.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

dexterhead;269959 wrote: Hi Shika: can't help much as I'm not AF yet , but thought I would say hi. And I constantly dream that I am in an alcohol-induced fog, no self-control, drinking in front of everybody and shaming myself, etc. I know my brain is screaming messages at me with that.
      Hey hon...

I can't remember too many details about my dream last night, but I was at the club and the VMs were flowing like water... omigod... I felt a little queasy along with a little sad this morning because I know those days are behind me forever.

I wonder how long will I feel wistful for my drinking days before I start to truly enjoy being sober?

Sounds like you do the damn thing in your dreams/real life... I can SO relate. I know I've made an a$$ out of myself on numerous occasions. That I don't miss!

Comment

Over the past two years of my AF experience, yes, I have had maybe a dozen dreams where I am drinking. Some worse than others.

In fact, the last one, only about 2 weeks ago, I really tied one on in the dream, and woke up screaming. Those nightmares seem to come when I am stressed to a high degree.

Also, I have had dreams where everyone around me is drinking, and I refuse to imbibe, so that is another thing.

I don't know if they will ever go away, but they are pretty good reminders of what I don't want to ever return to.

Neil

Comment

Thank you very much, Neil... something to look "forward to"

Congratulations on being AF for two years. I know that wasn't easy...

Comment

Friend of mine used to say that those drinking dreams were alcohol's love letter to you, trying to get you to come back. A lot of people in treatment centers talk about those dreams. don't really remember my dreams anymore.

Comment

Hi Skikakai -- I recently had a dream about drinking shortly after I went AF (9 days ago). In my dream I was sneaking the drinks (as in real life)...and taking terrible risks. I am SO glad it was a dream...and hope that my sneaking around days are gone for good.
              ~K.

Comment

myra;269975 wrote: Friend of mine used to say that those drinking dreams were alcohol's love letter to you, trying to get you to come back. A lot of people in treatment centers talk about those dreams. don't really remember my dreams anymore.
                And I bet a lot of people answer those "letters" too :upset:

I feel weak again today...

I was glad to realize it was a dream as well, Kirova... but when I felt mildly sickey, I wasn't too sure what had happened.

I didn't go to bed until very late and the store were closed, so I felt confident that I didn't sleep-drive to the store, come home and tie one on and didn't even wake up.

I wonder if that can happen... can we sleepwalk and drink and not remember?

Comment

I suppose anything is possible...but I don't think you did sleeping drive-through. That mildly sicky thing could be for a number of different reasons (so can feeling weak). You already said you went to bed late -- maybe you didn't get adequate rest? What about your diet yesterday. I know when I eat alot of carbs, I feel downright foggy the next day...and feeling like I want more of "something."
                  ~K.

Comment

Hmmm... I didn't think about that, K... I've always been able to eat whatever I want, but I know as we age everything we used to do changes too. Maybe it is my diet that is causing the 'hungover' feeling. I went to bed about 2:30 and got up this morning around 9:00.

I just wrote MWO about my supps. package as to its status. I really need to get on something as the cravings become intense as I prepare to leave the house.

I do hope sleep-driving is impossible, but knowing how powerful the mind is, nothing would surprise me if an AFer is in a complete "zone" and not even realizing what they are doing.

Comment

Hi Shikakai!

Funny enough a friend from an AA forum is going to send me that very book/pamphlet Living Sober as he thought I may find it helpful even though I don't attend AA. If your interested here is the link to the forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/aamolly. Although it is UK based it has a few members from the US (Jersey and Philadelphia are the two I know well) and Australia. Have a lurk and read a few posts I think you may find it useful. (Hope RJ won't take this the wrong way me advertising another forum on here!!).

As far as the dreams go, YES definitely had those. They normally revolve around me getting drunk and also trying to justify myself to others as to why I'm getting drunk. I've dreamed on many occasion where it has effected me the morning after as well, although only once with drink. It's almost like I've astral traveled to another plane of existence and on my waking my experiences have been that real to me that I feel drained and exhausted. It's a very strange feeling to have and it has effected me so deeply sometimes. I usually find with the drinking dreams though they have normally followed a lapse in my sobriety when I have felt very low and remorseful.

Love and Happiness
                      Hippie
                      xx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

tkeene;270109 wrote: I've had a few that I don't really remember, just that they involved drinking. Last nite I had one where I was at a restaurant with other people at the table and I just kept wondering when they were going to bring my damn wine :-( It never came and I woke up. But I have never had one where I acually drank or got drunk, least not that I remember. t.
                        The power of the human mind...

Thanks, too, for the link, Hippie

I'm so glad I went to my AA meeting today. I felt much stronger afterwards and wasn't in a rush to get home like yesterday.

Comment

i love the dreams i dream now yes one in a while i do dream al and yes it feels like a hangover in the morning. but to tell you the truth.i have been dreaming more now about work. love ,and my kids the happy times.
                          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

ps good job on going to aa it does help too..
                            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

tlrgs;270161 wrote: i love the dreams i dream now yes one in a while i do dream al and yes it feels like a hangover in the morning. but to tell you the truth.i have been dreaming more now about work. love ,and my kids the happy times.
                              Now that's what I'm talking about... now I'm wondering the mornings when I did wake up feeling 'hungover', did I have a drunk dream but didn't remember?

Very possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X