so, does anyone attend AA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey friends. I was just curious if anyone here attends AA. I know that people have said oh its like a cult, etc... but ya know not everyones perfect. im sure you have your people in there that are not right in the head, but you also have normal people who dont act cult-like. It must be nice to be around people who have the same problem as you. Thats how i feel about this forum of course. So has anyone gone? let me know your experiences..

I have never attended, but was recently thinking I might attend one. It can't hurt anything, if I don't like it I won't go back.

Comment

ya, thats what im going to do too.

Comment

I have gone. I liked one group, but I couldn't go back to that one because of work (I am out of town on those days)...so I went to another group and got totally turned off. I heard it does depend on the group and if you don't like the first one you go to, try others until you find the right fit. I liked it because of the "kindred" spirit - you know, hearing your own story coming out of someone else's mouth?

However, I did not like the pressure that was put on me to "Never" take another drink. And I'm not so sure their philosophy is a winner for most people (it works for some). I guess it just depends on the person. I never went back - it just didn't work for me.

You should try it though, you might like it.

Comment

I called the local number and the person talked to me about different groups. Picked one that was a big group who had women in it (I don't know how he knew this) that was close to me and felt it would be a good fit. I went and it was fine. I was a lurker and it was OK. I like being anon here.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

greeneyes;270104 wrote: I called the local number and the person talked to me about different groups. Picked one that was a big group who had women in it (I don't know how he knew this) that was close to me and felt it would be a good fit. I went and it was fine. I was a lurker and it was OK. I like being anon here.
            Hey, Green... did you get my PM?

Comment

me145;270075 wrote: Hey friends. I was just curious if anyone here attends AA. I know that people have said oh its like a cult, etc... but ya know not everyones perfect. im sure you have your people in there that are not right in the head, but you also have normal people who dont act cult-like. It must be nice to be around people who have the same problem as you. Thats how i feel about this forum of course. So has anyone gone? let me know your experiences..
              I went to my second AA meeting today, and I like it... it does feel nice to "fellowship" with others who are in the same situation as you are.

The one thing that stood out to me today is that we HELP each other deal with our alcoholism. We share experiences and encourage each other, much like we do here.

So once I get comfortable going to the meetings, I'll need to start sharing because helping someone else by telling my experiences also helps to keep me sober.

What a concept! I plan to go to another meeting during the week. Maybe I'll just go once a week.

Some of the people at the meeting go four and five times a DAY! I guess they are worse off than me...

Comment

skygal12;270098 wrote: I have gone. I liked one group, but I couldn't go back to that one because of work (I am out of town on those days)...so I went to another group and got totally turned off. I heard it does depend on the group and if you don't like the first one you go to, try others until you find the right fit. I liked it because of the "kindred" spirit - you know, hearing your own story coming out of someone else's mouth?

However, I did not like the pressure that was put on me to "Never" take another drink. And I'm not so sure their philosophy is a winner for most people (it works for some). I guess it just depends on the person. I never went back - it just didn't work for me.

You should try it though, you might like it.
                I agree with your post completely... I was thinking that today how some here have said AA wasn't for them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure our little home isn't right for everyone at AA either... different strokes, huh?

I've enjoyed both of the meetings as it helps me to stay strong by hearing others tales of woe... and there is a lot of woe in this world.

I'm also going to try the ladies only meeting as well. I don't really want to "join" just one group, though. I kind of like going to different locations.

Comment

I have been hesitant to attend AA because I've always felt that most people there would be those that are required to be there, dui convictions, etc. Not people whom are seriously seeking help. Anyone feel the same?

Comment

Average Joe;270123 wrote: I have been hesitant to attend AA because I've always felt that most people there would be those that are required to be there, dui convictions, etc. Not people whom are seriously seeking help. Anyone feel the same?
                    At the meetings I've gone to there has been a small mix of DUIers. You can tell the ones who are there by court order because they have a white card that the AA "secretary" has to fill out.

Most people don't have a card so they are not there by shotgun.

Comment

Avg Joe - the meetings I went to, the minority were dui people. In fact, it was probably about 1 out of 25 in the room. Most who are there go there because they have hit rock bottom and want to stop - seriously, they are really good people.

You should really try it. If you don't like it, don't go back.

Comment

Thanks, y'all.

Comment

i attend aa meeting about 4 times aweek and i can say i like it .yes you can meet alot of deffrent people. with the same problems.and this site is good too in alot of ways .but for the real affect. of being able to talk with other people it good to go to meeting. there are somethings that they suggest you should do but you can take what you want from it and learn the best way for yourself
                          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Well my husband was a DUI'er at AA by court order and after those meetings he quit drinking. Now he has a drink on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's, that's it. Those meetings freaked him out in a big way.
                            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                            - George Jackson

Comment

i havent been to the meeting myself, but i have the AA big book which is acollection of so many life experiences from recovererd AAmembers and it has been soo helpful, just sitting with agroup of people who have a common problem,and sharing your experiences sounds great to me i would really go if i have that opportunity,

Comment

Working...
                              X