Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, does anyone attend AA?

You did the right thing, Tea...

That was a lovely post, Reenie... very uplifting and inspiring.

Mags, you keep it real and there's nothing wrong with that. Everything is not for everybody... thank God...

Anyway, I plan to group jump as I have no inclination, like Tea, to become friends, nor do I want to feel compelled to share 'my story.' I just want to listen...

I should be going to a meeting today, as I feel weak, but no time. Maybe tomorrow when I get off work.

Day 13... congrats to all of you who have been sober for many months... you are truly blessed.

Comment

I have to add my AA experience.

1. People have always given ME their phone number and never asked for mine.
      2. I have never been bombarded by the cultism that people talk about, just the love that people want to share because they have become sober.
      3. My group is a very varied group, we have a mix of homeless, engineers and medical professionals in their scrubs. Geez.

I absolutely love AA but just cannot get there everyday because it is a long commute.

My thoughts.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Accountable for Me;270665 wrote: I have been to meetings in the past.... I went to this one group - and it was FULL of older guys. They were super nice, but I felt totally out of place. *snip*

I went to another group... pretty much the same. I found the stories depressing and hearing them over and over did nothing for my state of mind. I found myself wanting to drink more when leaving these meetings.
        Thiese two points are why I didn't get on with AA, initially the stories shocked me and also comforted me, I was not the only person out there hiding bottles and hurting themselves and others...but soon the stories were the same each week and I found it a little like a pity party, especially as most of the people there 'fell' every week.

Also I was a 25 year old girl surrounded by 50+ year old men and whilst they were nie it wasn't really engaging to me.

I found more inspiration from my friends and family.
        'The only people who give you a hard time (for stopping drinking) are those who used to look to your drinking to excess to legitimise theirs, and they'll find someone else to do that in time. '
        From an Amazon review of Allan Carr's ' Easy Way to Control Alcohol'

Comment

good and bad

I still go sometimes, but being a "chronic relapser", am shunned upon like I have leparacy in a way................some of my friends there look beyond the fact that I DON'T WANT TO NEVER DRINK AGAIN!!!!, and are still friends w/ me NO MATTER WHAT, (or so they say) I actually recently went to 2 weddings for friends from AA.................

I have been "in and out"as they say since 2001 or so,I like going to meetings where I know only a few people, and this being a TINY town for the capital of FL,it is very difficult to not run into about 5 people I know at each meeting...............

Most of my problems w/ it is the GUILT of not being able to stay sober without EVER taking a drink for a long time, and most of these people have YEARS and YEARS without a drink.............I know this disease may kill me or put me into a nuthouse, but it hasn't yet, and I am still using al as a coping mechanism, sorry to say, but it is working for now

Thanks for letting me put me 2Cents in AGAIN!!!

love you all.

Ma
          :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

I'm going to a meeting on Thursday... feeling weak again... sorry to hear that you're falling, Cow... it's not easy. No one blames you. You feel guilty because you want to stop; have tried to stop and failed... we all do...

I'm surprised I'm still on the wagon myself... 14 days tomorrow... 14 days since the accident

Comment

Working...
            X