The Illusion of Insatiable Cravings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured I would post this since I'm sure it's a situation many people here have been in, and one worth reinforcing in our heads. On Saturday I was on my 9th day AF and feeling great. All my withdrawal symptoms had passed, my thinking became crystal clear again, and I was starting to feel happier. I went to a big family party that night and, upon entering, came face-to-face with a 5L bottle of wine my mother purchased for the occasion. By around 10pm my cravings were getting really intense. I managed to withstand them, although by 2am I was coming dangerously close to giving in and drinking, on the grounds that "I'd been good for 9 days, so I deserved it". In any case, I thought long and hard about all the times I'd accepted that dubious argument, most notably how I always felt instant regret the next day. So, for once I stubbornly refused to give in, and as predicted, today I feel great and have another AF day under my belt. My point is just a friendly reminder about how illusory our really intense cravings are; they certainly won't kill us, and are a classic example of short-term, hyper-hedonistic thinking that leads to pointless behaviour. Basically, with all the good reasons we can find for not drinking, the argument for drinking always seems to boil down to a single weak premise that can be translated as our bodies saying; I WANT IT! Almost like a little child throwing a temper tantrum when you think about it.

Thanks for posting that. This is my start date and that is insightful ... hedonism says: alot. So does another word I believe and have seen on posts - Perservere- it appears well well worth it. Thanks!!:new:

Comment

Thanks 5th!!! I am having the stupid debate in my head right now....

Welcome looking4!

Comment

Thank you and in so many cases that one weak reason for giving in to the craving is so much stronger than the millions of reasons NOT to give in... why is that?

I'm so glad you stayed strong... no regrets the next day or the day after.

I am eternally grateful for my progress and the progress of others in the battle against this evil.

Comment

Hi 5th and all: I guess I'm not sure how to differentiate "cravings" with other feelings. Like, when I feel the need to drink, it's usually about quelling anxiety or sadness ... or, it's about occasions where I'd typically drink .. like a Friday night. hard to figure out... i guess it's really all about triggers. anyone?
          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Dex - I definitely have triggers: like, when I get off work for the week and I am at the airport waiting to go home. That is when I have my first glass of wine that starts the binge....or when I get on the phone with one of my "drinking buddies" that lives far away.

Cravings come when I am bored, or anxious about something - or like right now when it has been three days since I have had a glass of wine and I feel like I SHOULD be having one since it has been so long, weird!

Comment

skygal12;270157 wrote: Dex - I definitely have triggers: like, when I get off work for the week and I am at the airport waiting to go home. That is when I have my first glass of wine that starts the binge....or when I get on the phone with one of my "drinking buddies" that lives far away.

Cravings come when I am bored, or anxious about something - or like right now when it has been three days since I have had a glass of wine and I feel like I SHOULD be having one since it has been so long, weird!
              Yes, I can relate to boredom and anxiety... any type of stress is a trigger too. Having to deal with certain people or go certain places where those people may be is a trigger.

LIFE is a trigger.

Comment

Dex- I take your point. When I speak of "cravings", I specifically mean situations in which I'm not particularly unhappy, bored, etc, it's not the weekend or anything, yet I have an uncontrollable urge to drink. That said, I have consumed alcohol much of the time to ease anxiety and numb depression, and there are certainly key triggers for me, like the arrival of the weekend, friends visiting from out of town, etc. However, the more I reflect on these so-called triggers, I realize that my body is capable of rationalizing the decsiion to drink for just about ANY occasion, so nowadays I tend to interpret my drinking for what it is; my cells are used to alcohol, and my brain loves it when I'm loaded! Nothing more.

Comment

5thaday;270170 wrote: Dex- I take your point. When I speak of "cravings", I specifically mean situations in which I'm not particularly unhappy, bored, etc, it's not the weekend or anything, yet I have an uncontrollable urge to drink. That said, I have consumed alcohol much of the time to ease anxiety and numb depression, and there are certainly key triggers for me, like the arrival of the weekend, friends visiting from out of town, etc. However, the more I reflect on these so-called triggers, I realize that my body is capable of rationalizing the decsiion to drink for just about ANY occasion, so nowadays I tend to interpret my drinking for what it is; my cells are used to alcohol, and my brain loves it when I'm loaded! Nothing more.
                  It is all psychological, 5th... all of it... our liver wants to be drenched in alcohol and our brain wants to be baptized in it.

We have to change that through this site and through the supps/medications. Our brains don't know anything else because we have reprogrammed it into wanting the deadly substance.

Now we have to work on yet again reprogramming our brain. It probably won't be the same as it was before the first reprogramming (before alcohol seeped in and began destroying cells), but we can at least learn to function without the alchi.

Comment

5th,
                    You are on "Your Way Out".

Peace and hugs
                    Katie s
                    Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                    April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                    wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                    wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                    wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                    wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                    wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                    wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                    http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

5th,

Sounds like you "get it!!"

Hooray!!

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Great post, thanks for sharing. This really touched me today. I needed to read this.

Comment

A big thank you 5th, I think we all feel we are the only ones who are feeling the horrible cravings and the only ones to sit arguing with ourselves over whether we 'deserve' that drink.... We deserve NOT to have that drink, as we all know so well that there is no such thing as ONE drink (well for me anyway). Thanks for sharing that and reminding me that I am not alone and am not and will not be fighting/arguing with myself by myself, you all are there in my head fighting with me.

Lx
                          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

tea;270289 wrote: A big thank you 5th, I think we all feel we are the only ones who are feeling the horrible cravings and the only ones to sit arguing with ourselves over whether we 'deserve' that drink.... We deserve NOT to have that drink, as we all know so well that there is no such thing as ONE drink (well for me anyway). Thanks for sharing that and reminding me that I am not alone and am not and will not be fighting/arguing with myself by myself, you all are there in my head fighting with me.

Lx
                            LOL at the word argument... that's exactly what it is too... an argument... very true in many cases, Tea.

Comment

Working...
                            X