Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some call me a tart, but don't like my oranges that way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is a funny question, but with so many foodies here, I thought maybe someone would know. I bought a box of oranges Saturday, luv oranges. But unlike the other two times I bought them, this time they are soooo tart! I mean before they were real sweet and I don't mind a little less, but these taste like lemons.

Any idea how to cause sour oranges to sweeten? Or is that a dumb question and if so....oh well, it's that or dumping them.

I have no idea. Maybe they really are lemons??

Comment

Here's an idea, but I'm not sure (I'm a Floridian transplant, so maybe some of the real Floridians will chime in here)... however, whenever we have a cold snap here, the farmers comment that it makes the strawberries and oranges sweeter....

If you refrigerate them- they might get sweeter? I really don't know if once they are picked, then the ripening period is done, or if this will work.... ?

If not, you can always slice them, add soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, and marinate some chicken....

Patty
      Tampa, FL

Comment

Happy-Life,
        Your answer is quite a bit better than mine.

Comment

Patti.......that sounds suspiciously like cooking, u don't know me too well...eh? :H

Comment

How about making juice out of them and adding a little sweetener?
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Now I think I could do that.........yes, thanx Lushy. I googled and they pretty much say there is no way to ripen oranges. And Joe did buy that juicer he HAD TO HAVE and has used I think twice, since then.

Comment

I liked your answer SM!
                Marcie

Comment

What's that saying Hart?

If life deals you lemons make lemonade.

Mike

Comment

take alittle sugar and make a fruit salad
                    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Just put the box on your nightstand, and while you are sleeping, the sweetness of your personality will overwhelm those poor oranges....they won't know what hit them...

Don

Comment

Crikey Chief - is there no end to your chivalry? LOL

Comment

Hart just bin them at your age who can be bothered...LOL
                          love Jacqui xxxx
                          Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Don.:h Jacqui :boxer: and for the rest of you......well I just want to use this smilie, cause it's cute....:whee:

Comment

Hi Hart,
                              I'm in Florida and the oranges from here are really sweet at the moment. Our grocery stores carry most varieties -- even California navals, but all of them are bitter or just plain bland at the moment except the Florida ones. Several of my neighbors have orange trees in their yard, so they let us come help ourselves since there are so many. Does your grocery sell Florida oranges? If so, opt for them. I hear Clementines are really sweet at this time of year as well, but I'm sticking to the tree down the street!

(The fresh squeezed orange juice with fresh ginger, lime, soy and garlice does make a fantastic marinade!)

You've probably chunked them by now tho.
                              If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Working...
                              X